Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lissenhall/Donabate interchange cycle lanes/paths.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Roadhawk wrote: »
    So ultimately this is more infrastructure that will go unused...what a waste
    Yes, and I don't know of any cyclist who asked for it. Another example of motorists deciding what's best for cyclists.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was in a meeting with the council once when someone from the roads side of things mentioned the junction. He was none too pleased when I indicated I didn't like it and didn't use it commenting on the amount "invested". He was pretty clueless when it came to cycling infrastructure and I commented it was better maintaining what we had than spending more on new facilities (in my view the same goes for roads)

I would have much preferred they spent the money in making the old N1 a better experience for all road users particularly that awful stretch before the Balbriggan South junction on the M1 and the disaster that is Blakes X

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    .. and the disaster that is Blakes X
    Yes, unfortunately it's inevitable that there is going to be a cycling fatality there. I'm generally emerging from the Lusk road which is ok but it can be squeaky bum time approaching it from the northern side on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Use the underpass to practice descending on hairpins. Very handy. Apart from that, you just get dizzy. Road all the way. If some impatient oaf in a metal box gets irked, I don't care. They'll get over it. If not, well at least they can marvel at my skinny ass whilst fuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Domo40plus wrote: »
    I have done a lot of cycling over the years. And back in the 80s there were hardly any cycle lanes. So when I see a good one not being used by cyclists, especially the one at Lissenhall/Donabate interchange it makes my blood boil.
    I know that there are many cycle lanes that are terrible and even dangerous to use. And I too, like most well-seasoned cyclists with years of cycling and thousands of KMs done, don’t use them. But trust me it is only a fool that doesn’t use most or all of the cycle lane at this interchange. You see these guys coming along and then missing the entry point which is good, then breaking the lights and then holding up the traffic. These fools only give us all a bad name. these fools send a signal to the powers that be that it is not worth building a good cycle lane as people don’t use them.
    I met one chap a few years ago cycling beside a good hard shoulder. I know at times a good surface clear of dirt can be hard to find. But this guy just tars all hard shoulders with the same brush. If drivers tar us all with the same brush and consider us the same as all the very poor cyclists out there, we’re in for it.
    So if you have a brain, us it. Assess the hard shoulder or cycle lane and if it is good. Use it!

Stopped using it when the punctures started - one is expected, three is just not worth it.

It's pretty typical of what we do in this country - invest and build a decent bit of infrastructure, then don't spend the modest sums needed to maintain it.

In my experience this is especially true of cycle tracks - they build it, the minister gets his photo taken then over the next few years zero maintenance is carried out and gradually what started as a reasonable facility becomes less attractive as the surface breaks up, or is not reinstated properly following utility works or roadside plants/hedges encroach etc.

In the case of the underpass - 30 to 40 mins every few weeks to remove the bottles, cans and broken glass would go along way along with an annual cleaning of the drains to prevent water pooling. Until then, I'd rather stay with the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Yes, unfortunately it's inevitable that there is going to be a cycling fatality there. I'm generally emerging from the Lusk road which is ok but it can be squeaky bum time approaching it from the northern side on a bike.

that spot is a nightmare, get the fear everytime im heading towards it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Domo40plus wrote: »
    Lastly, the guy I talked about who was not using the good clean hard shoulder and slowing traffic, well after explaining to him the pros and cons and listening to his silly argument. I said to him that he must not be much of a cyclist if he can’t use the hard should or any other part of the road. He then tried to pull away from me so I blow him out the back door. It is the best way to show this part time cyclists who think they alone own the roads and don’t share it with others.

With all due respect, you and that cyclists created a hazardous situation yourselves by arguing the toss. It meant both of you were distracted and wouldn't be able to give your full attention to the road.

Advertisement