Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle-to-work-day - who knew?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I had received emails from Halfords about it, but as they are all UK based mails I assumed it was a UK as opposed to worldwide thing.

If it gets more people on two wheels though, I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Me too and I work in a state owned electricity company with 7500 employees

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I assumed it was a UK thing too as only Ribble and Halfords emailed about it. If it's a world thing, cycling ireland and RSA, Gardai, etc etc should have done more to promote it, especially with the strikes looming.

I walked myself today knowing tomorrow will be a bit hairy possibly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I thought it was tomorrow as the buses are on strike (again)...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Good job I cycled in.

Seriously though, it's the first I've heard of it. Work for a big company too and they're usually all over stuff like this, so I'm assuming they didn't know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Well that explains the difference in traffic this morning. It was unusually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Well that explains the difference in traffic this morning. It was unusually good.

I thought it was particularly bad , saw more near misses today than I have seen in a long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I saw a hashtag on twitter about it yesterday. From a group like Healthy Ireland, or Sport Ireland.. one of them. didn't cycle today though, had to drop kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Bad planning. Everyone knows that it's actually tomorrow :pac:

I had heard about it, but it didn't register in my head properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ranjo wrote: »
    had to drop kids.

From what height? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

From what height? ��

Only about 25cm from the car to step out. they survived, phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It seems to be primarily a UK initiative although Cyclescheme Ireland are listed as co-sponsors along with Cyclescheme UK and Halfords. Cyclescheme are a commercial company that offer an administrative services to companies who offer the Bike to Work scheme and charge shops for directing business to them. In the UK organisations such as CTC and Sustrans seem to be involved but none of the Irish cycle lobby groups, Local Authorities or shops (other than Halfords) are listed. Given the lack of involvement and publicity, this seems to be a very half-hearted effort in Ireland anyway.

During National Bike Week in June, one day is normally designated as Bike to Work Day with a lunchtime cycle in Dublin and possibly elsewhere. There is also European Car Free Day which would seem to be the ideal time to promote cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Given the publicity nightmare Bike Week often turns out to be (let's turn a fun ride into a "safety" ride! Let's introduce fixed-penalty notices and talk about traumatic head injuries for the week!) it might be best if these things pass unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I started following them on Facebook a few weeks ago but didn't realise it was today until that Indo article. I thought it was a day last week that I wasn't able to cycle due to other commitments. They could probably have publicised it a bit better.
    Anyway, I did cycle to work today so hurray for us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Follow it on Facebook they have been very active in advertising and some fantastic prizes are being given away. was hoping to pledge and do at least some of my journey but had a mad 24 hours and needed to take a half day as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It's been showing up on my facebook feed over the last few weeks. Nice day to cycle anyway where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Knew there was something I meant to do today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Good job I cycled in.

Seriously though, it's the first I've heard of it. Work for a big company too and they're usually all over stuff like this, so I'm assuming they didn't know about it.

Same as. Usually my place is all over these things like a cheap suit, not a bar of it here though.

I did cycle in though

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Everyday is cycle to work day:D

Except weekends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement