Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Through Pedestrian Lights in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

horslips wrote: »
    Personally, I would be more concerned about the cars and other mechanically propelled vehicles breaking red lights at pedestrian crossings where there is a junction - which seems to be getting worse by the day.

Do AGS ever take a particular junction and stop a few cars to send out a message? I suggest starting with Mount Street Bridge where the cars along the canal are persistently breaking their lights.

You're spot on there, cycle that route daily regular red light car runners has also to be said in my experience the majority of people on bikes at that junction daily run the red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

MJohnston wrote: »
    And as a cyclist I've had cars break red lights and nearly kill me, or pedestrians walk across red crossings without looking, forcing me to swerve and nearly cause an accident. There a billion and one anecdotes from cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers about the failings of the others. We know already!

I'm just responding to the topic raised by the op. It's about cyclists breaking the lights at pedestrian crossings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TedR wrote: »
    Yes, as cyclists generally, you do run lights.
    5 or 10 mins watching a Dublin junction will prove that.

Apparently you personally stop at all red lights, that makes you unusual enough among cyclists. I actually think it would make more sense to change the law to allow bikes to run reds where it is obviously clear to do so, because in the real world that is what happens anyway. I understand that it is frustrating to stop and lose momentum for no good reason. Although hard to make a law that is kind of in place and kind of not would be hard I guess.

But barreling through pedestrian crossings? Never right.

You're wrong. Some do, but most cyclists don't and as I pointed in another thread yesterday, people have a tendency to only remember the bad behaviour they see.

Dame street might be a particular bad example however for bad behaviour, but it's true if cyclists, car and pedestrians at all times of day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I say many bikes break lights, the argument back is that cars do it too, or would do it more if they could..
    I dont dispute that. A car breaking a light is even more dangerous, thats clear as day. Why would I defend that? I dont.

I didnt say that all cyclists break lights, or that all cyclists are responsible for all ills on the road.
    But many many do run reds, and it would be refreshing to have some of the pro cycling lobbyists to freewheel down off the high moral ground just come straight out and accept that its a problem in Dublin, more so than in other cities.

And yes, bad car driver behaviour/poor driving skills also 100% bad

Over and out, I know an un-winnable debate when I see one

ps believe or not, I cycle and I drive in the city, so I hope I can see that neither side is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The OP asked a genuine question. This is meant to be a welcoming place.

Be nice.

With due respect, he asked a leading question that will inevitably give an opportunity to people to bash cyclists; as per usual.

Yet again.

Does he have the same concern about cars speeding in the city?

Does he have the same concern about cars breaking lights in the city (a tad more dangerous, when it occurs, as it does very frequently)?

I suspect not. indeed if he is typical of the wider motoring community, he probably does both himself.

No, its the cyclists, always the cyclists......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Decuc500 wrote: »
    For any people who might think it’s only a minor accident on a road I can say that it’s pretty bloody sore getting whacked by a bike travelling at a bit of speed. It can shake you up pretty bad.

There's no doubt it's bloody painful, and I acknowledged it happens, but not to the point where new laws or task forces are required to combat it.

The gardai have previously had days in which they target such behaviour, they just need to do it more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

TedR wrote: »
    Yes, as cyclists generally, you do run lights.
    5 or 10 mins watching a Dublin junction will prove that.

Apparently you personally stop at all red lights, that makes you unusual enough among cyclists. I actually think it would make more sense to change the law to allow bikes to run reds where it is obviously clear to do so, because in the real world that is what happens anyway. I understand that it is frustrating to stop and lose momentum for no good reason. Although hard to make a law that is kind of in place and kind of not would be hard I guess.

But barreling through pedestrian crossings? Never right.

Not. A. Fuppin'. Homogenous. Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cyclists do this....drivers do that....pedestrians also do this...yawn, yawn, yawn.

Why can't we just discuss what would actually make sense as a law for this for cyclists? I saw the current law is somewhat inadequate because (a) it can actually be more dangerous for cyclists at specific junctions (b) a law that is not enforced and not respected isn't up to the task.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OK, OP got their answer. Cycling through a pedestrian crossing is an offence, punishable by an on the spot fine.

Thread's now descended into the usual sniping and whataboutery. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement