Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You don't have to be super talented to KQ.....

Options
  • 14-09-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

....you just need time and commitment according to this

I can't imagine the services of AC come cheap. The guys that do use him seem to KQ on a regular basis - Owen Martin & Declan Doyle are 2 that I am aware of.

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

interesting post P. made me go back and look at my numbers. i knew i missed a lot of sessions with illness this year, but i didn't realise how much until i looked at weekly totals. firmly in the non-KQ range, in fact bang on the monthly average.

if that's the case though, then carefully managing volume is all it is about, so who needs to be paying the expensive fees of AC? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would need to find 300hrs a year, eh no.

Slightly OT but related
    How the Kona slots are being awarded now means its tougher than ever to qualify. Dropping from 50 slots to 40 slot races really impacts on the big AGs such as 35-39 and 40-44. If you are not hitting the podium you are not qualifying, simple!

Also it was touched on in a ST thread but the allocation methods IM use are very unusual. Take Wisconsin, they give out 2 slots each to 18-24 with 48 athletes and the same for 60-64 with only 51 athletes yet the AGs mentioned above had 279 and 259 and only had 3 slots each and finishing times much quicker as you roll down after podium. Essentially it becomes much harder for those in the larger age groups to qualify. Unless you like racing HIMs in China:)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

And from clicking on one of the links I came across this, which I like.

"I present this information not as a suggestion that this is ‘the right way’ to live or as a recommendation that you need to replicate this schedule at this point in your life. I firmly believe that maintaining the physical training necessary to complete an Ironman triathlon, at any level, offers significantly more lasting value (to long term health and fitness) than a one off KQ medal!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Obviously talented people do qualify for Kona. At the same time, I firmly believe you don't have to be super talented to do so.

Back in 2009, a member of 3D qualified for Kona after racing IM Frankfurt in 2009. He finished in 9:18 that day, and back then, he always near the podium positions in any race he did in Ireland. He told me once that he was no more talented than anybody else who did triathlons in Ireland. I was way off his level of performance at the time, and I didn't really believe him. 7 years down the line and I agree with him. And now, I'd say the same thing about myself.

Owen Martin finished in 9:54 that same day. I don't know the man from Adam, but on the face of it, nothing about that race would have marked him out as being exceptionally talented. His time has improved by quite a bit in the meantime, but you can be certain he worked very hard for this. I'd bet 90% of the AG starters in Kona, would have IM finishing times that progress along similar lines. It's down to hard work and long hours, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I have had a good few athletes qualify and a good few come very close to qualifying over the years. All European races. I believe it can be pot luck and depends on who turns up on the day. It's getting harder every year. It can all about what race you pick, your body type and how much money you can pay to travel to races. The one similarity is that they are all proven runners of the bike before they moved to long distance racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

on the ohter hand you have more races so the fields spread thinner.
    you might have to travell further than before for the best cherry

its getting harder for some races for sure ( tendency for eastblished races like austria and destination races like mallorca)

but there is hardly any change in qualifiying in the uk as effectively you have more sots in the uk than ever before 110 vs 100
    and its still approx 85% brits participating so if anything it will get a bit easier in the uk.

I would need to find 300hrs a year, eh no.

Slightly OT but related
    How the Kona slots are being awarded now means its tougher than ever to qualify. Dropping from 50 slots to 40 slot races really impacts on the big AGs such as 35-39 and 40-44. If you are not hitting the podium you are not qualifying, simple!

Also it was touched on in a ST thread but the allocation methods IM use are very unusual. Take Wisconsin, they give out 2 slots each to 18-24 with 48 athletes and the same for 60-64 with only 51 athletes yet the AGs mentioned above had 279 and 259 and only had 3 slots each and finishing times much quicker as you roll down after podium. Essentially it becomes much harder for those in the larger age groups to qualify. Unless you like racing HIMs in China:)

since i did a lot of training with this guy i can confirm he was average talent for swim bike run . but at the other hand was also close to become a pro golfer and mentaly very very strong ( he would fall asleep in the office after hard training in the morning doing 40 x100s ) and very very organiced.( so he could afford to fall asleep in the office despite having quite a serious job) .another smart thng he did was to take half days on wednesdays in the lead up to an IM.

zico10 wrote: »
    Obviously talented people do qualify for Kona. At the same time, I firmly believe you don't have to be super talented to do so.

Back in 2009, a member of 3D qualified for Kona after racing IM Frankfurt in 2009. He finished in 9:18 that day, and back then, he always near the podium positions in any race he did in Ireland. He told me once that he was no more talented than anybody else who did triathlons in Ireland. I was way off his level of performance at the time, and I didn't really believe him. 7 years down the line and I agree with him. And now, I'd say the same thing about myself.

Owen Martin finished in 9:54 that same day. I don't know the man from Adam, but on the face of it, nothing about that race would have marked him out as being exceptionally talented. His time has improved by quite a bit in the meantime, but you can be certain he worked very hard for this. I'd bet 90% of the AG starters in Kona, would have IM finishing times that progress along similar lines. It's down to hard work and long hours, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I would go a bit further and say you don't have to be talented to do triathlon and that there is a huge correlation between the top of the age groups and the amt of hours they train or have trained over the years and the bottom of the pile and the hours they train and have in the bank. I know there is a bit of skill involved in swimming but you can get by with just training hours and hours in the pool. As for bike and run..its just strength & fitness/endurance. I have said it before anyone with the hours available can go under 10 hrs in an IM or KQ...It may take a couple of years depending on were you are coming from but it is more than possible. Disclaimer that's not to say there are not talented folk in tri but they are few and far between IMHO.

you certainly have to be talented to qualify but its not neccessaily the talent (Ie sporting ability ) most people talk about
    its quite a few character traits invloved and the longer the distance the less natural sporting abilty playes a factor.

One other thing I would say re kona q cranking out a 5hr bike on a fast course or 530 on a wales/lanzarote difficult course is that you would have to do regular training on your own or with similar /better level athletes at race pace/power to hit those times. You can't expect to do long 5 hr+ cycles at 29-30k an hour and then do 35k an hour average on race day. I would also say that Most KQ athletes would be in top 10 in the majority of sprint Olympics unless they a weaker swimmer were the swim is more of a factor. Also if you want to get better and closer to those numbers I think you have to get down to it starting in November and have a really strong winter so you hit March stronger and fitter b4 the 20 week countdown commences. In other words hoping to start in March and getting the required jump in 4 to 5 mths is unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

peter kern wrote: »
    you certainly have to be talented to qualify but its not neccessaily the talent (Ie sporting ability ) most people talk about
    its quite a few character traits invloved and the longer the distance the less natural sporting abilty playes a factor.

When people talk about talent in this context they usually mean that someone a relatively naturally fast swim / bike / runner.

In reality the talents needed are more around mental strength, organisational skills, ability to train, not get sick, not get injured, stay motivated etc. Nobody goes fast in an IM in terms of relative speed. Strong is far more valuable than fast.

RJM85 wrote: »
    When people talk about talent in this context they usually mean that someone a relatively naturally fast swim / bike / runner.

In reality the talents needed are more around mental strength, organisational skills, ability to train, not get sick, not get injured, stay motivated etc. Nobody goes fast in an IM in terms of relative speed. Strong is far more valuable than fast.

Sleep and recovery key as well. If you can do your morning sessions after 9am and b4 lunch ...you will get an extra 1.5 to 2 hrs in bed. Only saying this as was off work this summer and noticed a nice bounce from just this in may and June. I think the importance of these are really overlooked ... eg going out for a 5hr cycle and being able to nap or flake out on couch is a major advantage over someone who is handed the kids as soon as they get in door :)

Advertisement