Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Garage | Dublin City

• 14-09-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Wondering would there be any interest in a community type garage somewhere in Dublin city?

Something like vaxmoto[dot]com but on a smaller scale obviously.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of paying a monthly subscription fee, and for that fee you get 24/7 access, can store/park/winter your bike there, work on it, etc.

I live in an apartment so have nowhere to tinker or do maintenance, would love something like the above.

Edit: Here's another example motorbikewriter[dot]com/community-motorcycle-garages-trend/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Bought a bike of an eastern european guy the weekend, met him up at a unit...6 guys were sharing it, all sectioned off....think I could get 5 irish mates to commit to this ..not a hope...too much pi$$ing and moaning....fair play to them, they get sh1t done..;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How much would it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

Zascar wrote: »
    How much would it cost?

Long answer is it depends, but my off the cuff estimations would be around 100 a month.

There could be different membership plans however, top plan gets you 24 hour access, dedicated storage etc, another plan may be cheaper, and could just give you access for specific hours, or you have to use a shared space, no storage, etc.

It'd also depend on whether auxiliary income could be gained from events, workshops, or even something simpler like a vending machine, club shop, t-shirts, etc.

I'd be willing to give it more research, but first I'd like to identify if there's a market for it at all in Dublin.

For example, 100 quid a month for someone who'd be using it as a full/part time mechanic, earning an income, would be a tiny amount, or it could also be suitable for someone doing once off cafe racer (or w/e) builds, hoping to earn income from that.

There could also be community built bikes, with the proceeds of sales going back into running the place, or outside events, poker runs, parties, kickstarter, etc.

I'm intending to contact some of those that exist abroad to see how they do things, but for the moment I'd just like to gauge interest, and if the interest is there, then I'd be happy to take things further, and compose a business plan, investigate a venue, security needs, and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I'm about to go from having a proper garage to possibly only a small wee garage or shed, so I'd be all over this. If for the craic and advice and hanging around than anything else.

You could look into men's sheds - I know they do fundraising, but swapping that out for direct funding from members and it's similar (shared tools, personal storage, hanging around drinking tae).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I'm about to go from having a proper garage to possibly only a small wee garage or shed, so I'd be all over this.

Good to hear!

Right, I've begun contacting potential places, and pricing simple things like waste oil removal, premises insurance, etc.

Will keep ye updated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement