Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A weird one: Portable machine, but some restrictive ergonomic factors

Options
  • 14-09-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently myself, and not being able to settle on something, I thought I'd ask people here.

I'm pretty badly visually impaired, so I need to sit very close to a screen to use it. (This is why I've always used a VESA mount). To give you an idea:

u7P3fI7.png

This is what my desktop setup is usually like, with my nose a couple of inches from the screen.

I'm looking for something that can get me close to this ergonomically, but that I can bring places (some public) for long stints of work - Library, office, etc.

Laptops are more difficult, not because of the screen size, but because to get close enough to use the screen, I have to get into a very uncomfortable position, hunched over quite a bit. Not sustainable for work. Previously, I've used stuff like this:

IR102_FaceLeft_4683_Web400.jpg

These raise the screen up enough that, while it's not perfect, it's miles better than using a laptop flat. Typing it surprisingly ok too.

With how small components are getting though, I've been wondering if there's a better way to do this, and that's where you guys come in: I need ideas.

I've thought of:

1) A Yoga-type laptop, folded back, sitting on a shelf, then using an external kb+m.
    So, screen out, keyboard facing down on a portable version of this:

s-l225.jpg

Could work, but there's only one 17" 2-in-1 out there, and it's kinda crappy.

2) An AIO.
    Again, could work, but there aren't a lot of options, and portability would be a concern. There are 21-ish versions, so I could probably just about fit one in a backpack, but I'd have very limited options spec-wise.

3) An ITX rig/NUC and portable monitor.

This is a recent one. The Dan Case got me thinking of it. It's the size of a toaster, and if I could find some sort of foldable stand, I could probably stick a 17-ish inch USB monitor with it, but I don't know if something like that exists, let alone 17" portable monitors.

Why don't I just keep doing what I'm doing? I could, and I might, but I'd like to see if anyone can come up with anything I might have completely missed. Never mind the fact that laptops are pretty expensive.

I terms of power, I could get by with an ultrabook type (i7-U, SSD, iGPU), but I'd like something more like a gaming laptop if I can.

Sorry for the massive thread, not sure how to make it more concise...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a bigger screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If it were that simple, I wouldn't have posted all these crazy arrangements. I can't. Big != Close here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Wonder if an Oculus Rift/Vive with Virtual Desktop would be any use. You can zoom it right in close as if your eyes were an inch from the screen. Resolution obviously suffers, and I don't know how well a headset would work with a visual impairment.

I've just realised I didn't make it clear in the OP that I'm looking for a secondary, portable machine. Edited first post

Heh, that's one I've been considering for a while as well!

I've only briefly tried DK1. A friend of mine recently got a Vive, and I'll be trying that out soon. Depending on how that works it might be a nice option.

The other concern is I don't want this whole thing to look too silly, as I could be using it in a library, etc. massive amounts of setup/noise wouldn't be ideal. I think a HMD is about as far as I'd go in that regard. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

dell inspiron 17 7000 2-in-1 and a keyboard maybe ?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-7778-2-in-1-laptop/pd

uFdnlv0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

use a tidy portable stand so it allows you to put the keyboard under it a bit

( cos the whole lot will be backwards anyway )

N027i9v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

get a VW camper and turn it into a mobile office?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I think you will run into a lot of problems once you drift away from having a laptop. Power outlets aren't something you can bank on getting in a lot of locations. So a desktop will severely constrict where you can and can't go.

With everyone else I would be pushing option 1.

For option 3 the stand in gctest50's post and a folding box would suffice (just get some velcro added to the pieces and obviously try and find a big enough USB monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think Gctests post is going to be as close as you get.

@gctest: That's actually a pretty nifty idea. Hadn't thought of that.

That 2-in-1 is what got me thinking of option 1. It's literally the only >15" 2-in-1 out there though, and it's kind of anemic spec-wise.

I don't really mind about need access to power. This isn't for the need to spend twenty minutes responding to emails use case. This is need to spend several hours developing and testing software, just not at home. A laptop battery wouldn't last me long enough without needing to be plugged in anyway.

And I figure, If I'm getting a 17" laptop, plus stand now... What's a little more stuff (still backpack-able), to get me more comfortable. Hence the ITX + monitor idea. I just don't know what's out there in terms of stands / monitors / form factors, etc.

Asus does a very nice 15.6" portable monitor, but at the price they're asking for it, I'd rather keep and extension lead in my bag and have to use two plugs with a traditional monitor.

Would be nice to just be able to use a laptop like a normal person. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Get one of these, fill it with components that suit your needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7nLTZ7K_TM

Hang one of these on the side of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NCVLvaxBnM

Sit it on the yoga table with a keyboard and mouse underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Saw this today and immediately thought of you OP.

Not sure how mobile it is because the screen seems big but meets a lot of your requirements!

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/26/microsoft-surface-studio-hands-on/

It does! However:

1) I don't think a 28" would fit in a backpack too well.
    2) I don't have €3,000+

:P

It does look interesting though. It'll be interesting to see how this does/doesn't affect the design of the SP5, or other Surface stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Let's hope smaller cheaper ones follow!

Advertisement