Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meal Deal scam

Options
  • 14-09-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭

How many of you have experienced meal deal items not adding up to the meal deal at checkout?

I have been in that situation too many times - and usually I will just shrug it off thinking I must have made a mistake, probably didn't read the label right, or I picked up something that was not part of the deal by mistake etc. Turns out it's not that simple.

Yesterday and M&S, I picked up three items, all clearly marked and labeled as part of their €5.50 meal deal. At checkout it adds up to over eight euro. When I mentioned how it should be a meal deal, checkout assistant was just picked up something at random and said "ah no, this is not in meal deal". Since I was expecting this, I stood firm, and he picks out something else "oh sorry, it's this, this is not in deal". Another checkout person came into have a look and we walk back to the meals shelf and of course I hadn't made any mistakes. He puts it thru the system again, tweaks the final figures manually and apologies etc. Explanation: "Probably wrong in the system". Probably?!!

Today at Tesco, I go thru the motions, double-checked the labels and what I was picking up - and sure enough at the self-checkout it all adds up to around 7 quid than the €3.50 it should have been in meal deal. I queue up at the Customer Service and the girl re-scans them and says "ah this is not in the deal". I said it is, you can see it right there. She's like "oh may be it was on offer but not now". Isn't that false advertising I asked. "Oh may be something wrong, may be it's the system". And that's it - no refunds, no fixing issues, nothing - that's all she could do.

I can not imagine how many ordinary decent folks fall for this scam and assume it's their own mistake and pay full price. If this is not a scam, I don't know what is! Any suggestions on how to bring some attention to this?

/Sorry about the rant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if you feel its false advertising, then bring a complaint to the advertising authority.

Best if you can document everything and give specifics (and pictures where appropriate).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Yep. This has happened to me at Tesco before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Someone will be along in a minute to explain the 'invitation to purchase' BS thing :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Happened to me in Tesco a few times too. Pizza + side + dessert for €5, when checked through came up to €7-8. Stood my ground twice and they manually over rode it.

'Invitation to treat' is what I'm thinking of although I'm not saying it should apply in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Happened a couple of time to me here in London.

When I asked if I can have them at them at the advertised 'deal' price I was told it was a mistake and that I would have to pay full price.

I just left the goods at the cash register and walked away...to the sound of assistant calling after me telling me I cant just leave them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I wouldn't have left until I got double the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

whiterebel wrote: »
    Happened to me in Tesco a few times too. Pizza + side + dessert for €5, when checked through came up to €7-8. Stood my ground twice and they manually over rode it.

Better option is pay, go to customer services, get double the difference - 2 or 3 quid for the deal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

emeldc wrote: »
    'Invitation to treat' is what I'm thinking of although I'm not saying it should apply in this case.

But that's exactly what it is. How is it BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

L1011 wrote: »
    Better option is pay, go to customer services, get double the difference - 2 or 3 quid for the deal.

M&S folks were polite and apologetic once they understood that they were clearly in the wrong, but Tesco Customer Services girl was just shrugging her shoulders as if it's not her problem.

I am half-thinking of going in next time with a camera, recording the whole thing and putting in on Youtube... as an attempt to name and shame. I might get sued to hell and back for it though! :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

anytime I see someone not get the deal is usually they have picked up a similar, but incorrect, item.

I'll use the Tesco meal deal for €3.50. Sandwich, crisp & Lucozade in this case. The 380ml bottle of Lucozade is included in the deal, but people tend to pick up the 500ml bottle. Get to til to find the price scans for more as the 500ml bottle is incorrect. Now a lot of the times if you check, you see that it's mostly 500ml bottles on the shelf instead of 380ml bottles so I don't blame the customer. Whether it's staff placing items incorrectly or being instructed to place them there so some people might just pay more at the tills or not.

Normally I'd say it's staff just doing it by mistake but any Tesco's I have been in for the lunch deal usually has the same errors.

to be honest, i reckon its more sharp marketing.

There is a deal, but they put similar products right beside it /under the deal sign to try to get customers to take that product rather than the one included in the deal. Customer ends up paying more than expected, and if its part of a larger shop, possibly goes unnoticed.

But if the op is correct in that the op picked the correct items and didnt get the deal, then is would fall under the remit of the advertising authority.

But that's exactly what it is. How is it BS?

So when your special out turns out to be not so special when the 'invitation to treat' rule is applied, you would be ok with that, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On the basis of nothing except personal experience, I wouldn't trust Tesco as far as I could throw them. I've had items charged differently at the till from what was on the shelf (if there was a label at all on the shelf), I've had the self-service till machines short-change me. When I eventually found someone to report these mistakes, I was greeted with supreme indifference. I avoid at all costs, and if I have to shop there I scrutinise the receipt every time.

Haven't availed of any meal deals in Tesco, but this thread doesn't surprise me in the least.

M&S I use a lot, and I think once, years ago, their system didn't give the discount that was due. They nearly fell over backwards apologising and rectified it immediately. (No "compensation" expected, or offered).

I still scrutinise every receipt when I've bought stuff that should result in a "deal" saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

positron wrote: »
    How many of you have experienced meal deal items not adding up to the meal deal at checkout?

I have been in that situation too many times - and usually I will just shrug it off thinking I must have made a mistake, probably didn't read the label right, or I picked up something that was not part of the deal by mistake etc. Turns out it's not that simple.

Yesterday and M&S, I picked up three items, all clearly marked and labeled as part of their €5.50 meal deal. At checkout it adds up to over eight euro. When I mentioned how it should be a meal deal, checkout assistant was just picked up something at random and said "ah no, this is not in meal deal". Since I was expecting this, I stood firm, and he picks out something else "oh sorry, it's this, this is not in deal". Another checkout person came into have a look and we walk back to the meals shelf and of course I hadn't made any mistakes. He puts it thru the system again, tweaks the final figures manually and apologies etc. Explanation: "Probably wrong in the system". Probably?!!

Today at Tesco, I go thru the motions, double-checked the labels and what I was picking up - and sure enough at the self-checkout it all adds up to around 7 quid than the €3.50 it should have been in meal deal. I queue up at the Customer Service and the girl re-scans them and says "ah this is not in the deal". I said it is, you can see it right there. She's like "oh may be it was on offer but not now". Isn't that false advertising I asked. "Oh may be something wrong, may be it's the system". And that's it - no refunds, no fixing issues, nothing - that's all she could do.

I can not imagine how many ordinary decent folks fall for this scam and assume it's their own mistake and pay full price. If this is not a scam, I don't know what is! Any suggestions on how to bring some attention to this?

/Sorry about the rant!

I work in retail with self service checkouts, are you sure you wait till the very end of the sale (hit finish and pay) for the offers to come off as they usually come off at the end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I work in retail with self service checkouts, are you sure you wait till the very end of the sale (hit finish and pay) for the offers to come off as they usually come off at the end ?

Yes - I paid the full (non-meal-deal) price and then went to the Customer Services person with the receipt. The Customer Services persons indifference is what really annoyed me the most.

If some journalist gets on the case and does a bit of undercover work.. or perhaps it's time for citizen journalism... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

While there is absolutely no reason why you should be aware of this, the invitation to treat rule allowed modern shopping as you know it. If it didn't exist there would be a myriad of products that you couldn't pick up and inspect, pop in your basket and then misplace back with the carrots when you change your mind.

Every section in Teso would require a person standing there and you'd have to make payment as you went around, quaint but fecking hell lunch on the run would be a pain in the arse.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_Society_of_GB_v_Boots_Cash_Chemists_(Southern)_Ltd

So many threads of wonder this evening!

positron wrote: »
    Yes - I paid the full (non-meal-deal) price and then went to the Customer Services person with the receipt. The Customer Services persons indifference is what really annoyed me the most.

If some journalist gets on the case and does a bit of undercover work.. or perhaps it's time for citizen journalism... :cool:

Frankly the standard of journalism couldn't get any lower. This would probably make page 2 or 3 of the Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Is it a scam? or just a misunderstanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

This is 100% people not paying attention to the item selection. A cursory glance of the barcode on the item and on the SEL will generally solve this.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    This is 100% people not paying attention to the item selection. A cursory glance of the barcode on the item and on the SEL will generally solve this.

Can't agree with that at all. Time and time again my local SV have been found to charge full price for stuff that had been marked down.

Can't agree with that at all. Time and time again my local SV have been found to charge full price for stuff that had been marked down.

This is the sandwich meal deal we're talking about

mansize wrote: »
    Is it a scam? or just a misunderstanding?

Is lunch time 1pm GMT or BST in Greenwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is lunch time 1pm GMT or BST BLT in Greenwich?

FYP :pac:

Is lunch time 1pm GMT or BST in Greenwich?

Midday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

When I worked in a shop, around the time the below article was written, there was a code of practice agreed to, whereby they'd all honour the price on the shelf edge:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/major-supermarkets-sign-up-to-scanning-code-1.251838

And that affected how we ran our registers (e.g. get registers scanning correctly if doing a deal/saving, then change shelf edge label)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This happened me in Tesco years ago and I think I got the deal either free or with a bigger discount. Mispriced items happen all the time, my local spar is a disaster.

Jayop wrote: »
    Mispriced items happen all the time, my local spar is a disaster.

you'd think with barcoded items and price tags that the pricing should be less likely to be mispriced.

A simple report run every morning to show new price tags for overnight pricing changes cant be that difficult to implement in Spar?

I understand tesco have 10ks of items, but should still be able to organise something similar? Its not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

daheff wrote: »
    to be honest, i reckon its more sharp marketing.

There is a deal, but they put similar products right beside it /under the deal sign to try to get customers to take that product rather than the one included in the deal. Customer ends up paying more than expected, and if its part of a larger shop, possibly goes unnoticed.

But if the op is correct in that the op picked the correct items and didnt get the deal, then is would fall under the remit of the advertising authority.

Yeah, Tesco are always at this.
    I've particularly noticed it on things like 2L (or 1.75L now) bottles of Coke.
    One week it's two for X. The next it's three for Y. Then it's 3 for Y but excluding a couple of variants (e.g. Coke Zero not included). Then it's back to two for X again.
    Given that the per-unit price often doesn't change that much (or at all), the only reason I can see for it is to catch out people who regularly by the same quantity thing. You basically have to check the shelf label carefully every time you pick anything up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Happened to me again in Tesco on Tuesday with their meal deal, happened before and I shrugged it off and said I must have made a mistake. On Tuesday I stood my ground, went back down to the shelf with the buy from the self service till etc.. eventually he put it though as an open item €10.

Advertisement