Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meal Deal scam

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I just make sure the offer is in date and the item is the same as on the label...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

If in doubt, scan all your non deal items first, settle up then scan through your deal items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kbell wrote: »
    If in doubt, scan all your non deal items first, settle up then scan through your deal items.

Seriously? It's not worth that hassle and shouldn't require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I worked in dunnes and there was an offer of a roll with coleslaw and cheese + drink + can. I scan a girls items and they come in at 6e something, she goes mad cos it should be 4e. I checked all of her items and they looked correct to me, couldn't figure it out. The manager came down and we figured out it was cos she had asked for no cheese on the roll, so it was full price which removed it from the meal deal. Manager refused to give it to get for meal deal price and poor girl left hungry. God i hated working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

Omg I am at my wits end with this in Supervalu. They have yellow labels on items where the price was reduced and you scan your item through. The normal price comes up. I use to leave it but then I started calling the girl over, her reply was ..... You have to cover the old price bar code to get the new price ? WTF! So even if you scan the yellow label bar code it still comes up as old price. I hope this has changed as this was a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

rawn wrote: »
    I worked in dunnes and there was an offer of a roll with coleslaw and cheese + drink + can. I scan a girls items and they come in at 6e something, she goes mad cos it should be 4e. I checked all of her items and they looked correct to me, couldn't figure it out. The manager came down and we figured out it was cos she had asked for no cheese on the roll, so it was full price which removed it from the meal deal. Manager refused to give it to get for meal deal price and poor girl left hungry. God i hated working there.
    :confused:
    Proper order. Shop actually follows the meal deal rules and you are complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

snubbleste wrote:
    Proper order. Shop actually follows the meal deal rules and you are complaining?

Because she omitted one ingredient, she didn't add. You would think once in a while that they would have some wiggle room, plus the person who made the roll on the deli should have told her it wouldn't be included. So the roll went in the bin and they lost money, that's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mansize wrote: »
    Everything I buy regularly in Lidl is in the same place!

Lidl changed the layout in my 2 local stores recently, must be the first time in years. Tesco regularly do it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

rawn wrote: »
    Because she omitted one ingredient, she didn't add. You would think once in a while that they would have some wiggle room, plus the person who made the roll on the deli should have told her it wouldn't be included. So the roll went in the bin and they lost money, that's just stupid.

To be honest I'd possibly have been so annoyed I'd have said fine give me the cheese then taken it all off after I paid and handed it to them for the bin.... the roll cost them less with no cheese? Makes no sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I was in the Tesco down the road from pearse station just a few times. I noticed on more than one occasion people having an argument with a member of staff after being overcharged at self service checkout, as they believed meal deal was not applied.

I noticed myself that the advertising is quite sly if not illegal in Tesco. The have signs saying "€3.50 meal deal" hanging from the side of the fridge where the meal deal items are located. In addition, I noticed for prices under the meal deal items it has "€3.50" in large numbers but then it has something like "€3.80 meal deal" underneath in much smaller text. The €3.50 price I think is if you get the sandwich on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

mansize wrote: »
    Everything I buy regularly in Lidl is in the same place!

At work recently one of the guys raised a concern over the way one of our end user products now does something rather differently than before.

The reply:

"You know the way supermarkets have the milk and eggs at the back so you have to walk through the supermarket to get to them, and you might buy something else as well, by changing this we're doing the same thing"

Under my breath I muttered

"So they'll start shopping a Lidl so" to a bit of chortling from my nearby colleges.

It's been twenty years since I was told off for talking and laughing in the back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

A lot of it is sharp marketing,deliberate ambiguous placement of signs etc.Super valu and tesco are the greatest offenders imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

yellow stickers under a product was associated with a special offer or a reduced price, now yellow strickers under a product is normal and give the impression that it is on special offer even thought it is full price, sneaky practice by the retailers, but it is up to the customer to check the price and know what it should be. its like the bus lanes, we are now all conditioned to stay out of the bus lanes even thought you are allowed to drive in most of the before 7am and after 7pm, its all down to conditioning. get use to reading the signs and price tags and don't take the lazy option. its up to the customer to be aware as retailers and the likes will take advantage of their laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

magentis wrote: »
    A lot of it is sharp marketing,deliberate ambiguous placement of signs etc.Super valu and tesco are the greatest offenders imo.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

TheChizler wrote: »
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence...

Yes,but its simply too commonplace to be incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

yellow stickers under a product was associated with a special offer or a reduced price, now yellow strickers under a product is normal and give the impression that it is on special offer even thought it is full price, sneaky practice by the retailers, but it is up to the customer to check the price and know what it should be. its like the bus lanes, we are now all conditioned to stay out of the bus lanes even thought you are allowed to drive in most of the before 7am and after 7pm, its all down to conditioning. get use to reading the signs and price tags and don't take the lazy option. its up to the customer to be aware as retailers and the likes will take advantage of their laziness.

In countries with actual, tangible, consumer rights, such practices are banned, as they are clearly in place solely to confuse the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

So, customers are being 'penalised' for selecting the wrong products. The level of incompetence is bewildering. A first world problem by any measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

rubadub wrote: »
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

Great statement, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Must be me so. I can just never find what I'm looking for in them and have to ask staff for help.

Its an age thing :D:D:D

Its no mistake that the rule about double the difference on the Customer Charter is conveniently covered up in both Naas and Newbridge Tesco's. They actually have things stacked up to cover this' and only this part of the big blue sign at both Customer Services Desks. Anybody try to tell me this is just a mistake and not deliberate can take a running jump. Take a look in your local Tesco and see if it is the same, I'd bet money it is :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement