Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset Upgrade...Worth It?

Options
  • 14-09-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a Planet X Pro Carbon a few years back when they were doing a deal on the Dura Ace groupset. Settled on a set of Planet X Model B wheels and haven't had any reason to complain about them to date...but I'm getting that inexplicable itch that makes me want to get the card out...

Before my Planet X I owned a Trek 1000, so obviously despite doing a lot of cycling, I've no experience of things further up the quality ladder. Having a Dura Ace groupset means I'm not left with much to look at upgrading without getting into relatively silly things like carbon seatpost etc.

If I were to consider a reasonably priced wheelset, what budget would I be looking at for a noticeable improvement? If it's not crazy money, I'd be tempted to buy something to look forward to spinning on come spring and keep the Model Bs for winter slogging.

Thanks for all help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I think that's the question the OP is asking.

How much do I need to spend to see a noticeable gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Senecio wrote: »
    I think that's the question the OP is asking.

How much do I need to spend to see a noticeable gain?

my bad... 800 to 1000 would see you get a decent wheelset.

but a set of Zondas are as good as any at 350 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

thekooman wrote: »
    my bad... 800 to 1000 would see you get a decent wheelset.

but a set of Zondas are as good as any at 350 euro.

Thanks for that thekooman. Yeah, as mentioned I'm interested to know where the gain starts. ie: is it a case of nothing worthwhile gained for < 1000. Not entirely sure where I stand in terms of quality with my current wheelset!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

this is also a question i have. when does a wheelset upgrade become feasible--at what level of riding and for what purpose? for the average club/sportive rider, losing a few kilos of bodyweight and adopting more efficient riding positions surely offer more practicable (and cheaper) performance gains. are wheel upgrades only for the racer?

of course there is the psychological matter of knowing you have a better pair of hoops under you, and i've hovered over the 'buy now' button without having swapped out my stock wheelset just yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Someone on here recently got a set of carbon wheels for his Felt and they look stunning.

I'll try find the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Someone on here recently got a set of carbon wheels for his Felt and they look stunning.

I'll try find the thread.

That would've been me.

Here's the thread. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057624804/1/#post100421990

Few more pics of them

Thanks for sending that link on - interesting read.

I think I struggle with the idea of putting a set of €1,000 wheels on to a bike that (from memory) cost me only a few hundred more than that. Hand me that budget and I think I'd be storing it away for the next bike purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Model b are a great wheel for price. Zondas mentioned above but I don't think you will notice any difference. I'd guess that you're talking close to 1000 to see noticeable gain.

If your tyre and tube combo is not optimum upgrading will see improvement

• Advertisement

Model b are a great wheel for price. Zondas mentioned above but I don't think you will notice any difference. I'd guess that you're talking close to 1000 to see noticeable gain.

I agree. A set of latex tubes and fast rolling 25mm tyres can transform a bike.

Interesting that you think the tube would make a noticeable difference...why is this? (Also interesting because I had one blow out on me yesterday and crashed pretty heavily...see 'tell us about your cycle today for details!')

I have a set of GP4000s on so happy enough with the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Interesting that you think the tube would make a noticeable difference...why is this? .

Its all rotational weight for starters. Have a good read through

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

and you will see that they do discuss various types of tubes

Advertisement