Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a printer repaired?

Options
  • 14-09-2016 4:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Parents have a HP printer - one of the multifuction types, print copy scan fax etc, inkjet. Black cartridge is brand new but wont print. Anyone know where I can get this repaired near Gorey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

First thing, and I know this might sound dumb but it does happen - Make sure the clear plastic strip has been removed from the ink outlet nosel on the cartridge.

Failing that, I can't tell you the best place to bring it... but I will add this word of caution - Depending on the nature of the problem, the age of the printer and how much the device originally cost, getting it repaired could cost more in man hours than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I bought a small new BW laser printer a couple of years ago, and it was DOA.

Logged a call with the manufacturer, and they were very prompt in calling me back, but said that there was no point in repairing it, and just sent out a new one.

They didn't even want the broken one back.

If yours is any way standard, and didn't cost a fortune, it is most likely prohibitive to repair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

Hi, I work in this area so can probably diagnose the problem.

What is the model of the printer?

If it has 4 or more cartridges the problem is the printhead. They do have a lifespan which is significantly shortened if it's not used often enough or left for long periods. There are some DIY videos on YT which may help.

Any local cartridge shops should be able to help but as already mentioned I'd bear in mind the cost of a like for like replacement machine.

If it has two cartridges the problem is likely the cartridges.

Pm me if you need more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zascar wrote: »
    Parents have a HP printer - one of the multifuction types, print copy scan fax etc, inkjet. Black cartridge is brand new but wont print. Anyone know where I can get this repaired near Gorey?

*edit: I just seen you said cartridge and not printer. Ignore below but if you ever have a printer problem it's good advice.

Buy a new printer. It will most likely cost just as much to repair if not more.

Printers are usually sold very cheap at a loss in order to sell ink for that particular brand.

Make sure you get a free quote first for any repair needed then checkout any store that sells printers to see if you should purchase a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Put alcohol in a syringe, push it through the print nozzle. Wait. Print. If it works, great, if not, bin it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement