Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northbound M50 traffic to airport

Options
  • 14-09-2016 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

All it takes is for one tip to snarl everything up. If I were you, I'd be looking at joining the M50 between 7am and 7.30am to be sure for an 8.30 arrival at the airport. (It's 30mins max outside rush hour though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, one accident and you'd be crazy late, but the good news is that you've only 2 exits until you can come off the M50 and go the back roads from Blanch to the airport if there is an accident on the M50

My advice is to tune your radio to 103.2 Dublin City FM from about 7 and listen to the lovely Pam giving the live traffic updates.

Usually the M50 Northbound is relatively empty and moves well in the morning, but you could run into issues at the M50/M1 interchange, which you should familiarise yourself with before making the journey that morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Southbound tends to be worse than northbound on the M50 in the morning from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I travel it every day and one crash coming up to rush hour and you're screwed. Far easier to just get there really early and have breakfast or whatever.

Also agree that Northbound is usually less busy than South.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's my commute, traffic is usually grand. But as others have said, it takes one crash, even on the southbound side because of rubbernecking.

Best thing to check is google maps on your phone and turn on traffic. It'll tell you the quickest way to go and divert you if traffic is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Tabnabs wrote: »
    All it takes is for one tip to snarl everything up. If I were you, I'd be looking at joining the M50 between 7am and 7.30am to be sure for an 8.30 arrival at the airport. (It's 30mins max outside rush hour though)

Agree.

It could take 20 minutes. It could take 1hr and 20mins. There's literally no way of knowing.

If you're mad early and have time to kill and don't want to go into the airport, just pop into northwood and head to maccyDs for a coffee. It's 24hr and there's loads of parking. 10 minute run from there to the airport car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Hanley wrote:
    If you're mad early and have time to kill and don't want to go into the airport, just pop into northwood and head to maccyDs for a coffee. It's 24hr and there's loads of parking. 10 minute run from there to the airport car parks.

Northwood is off the Ballymun exit on the M50, but when you are finished your coffee don't go back on the m50, go out the Swords road gate at Northwood and then up to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

what about arriving at red cow at 10AM on sunday, is the traffic ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Hanley wrote:

Just a thought there, if McD is not to your taste, the Crown Plaza is further down the road in Northwood. You should be able to pick up some coffee in the foyer, and there is a nice park across the road. The first 2 hours in the car park there is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

kenny111 wrote: »
    what about arriving at red cow at 10AM on sunday, is the traffic ok then?

Yes it should be fine then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement