Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lie on a financial statement

Options
  • 14-09-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I work for a charity....I have seen the financial statement it's published...it's been signed off and returned to the CRO...but the salaries that are in the accounts are not the truth...the are showing to be up to 10 and 20k less than they are in reality...I don't know why? I don't know if its dodgy...My gut is that it is...I don't know what to do. When I questioned it...the head of finance said that he didn't realise...it's been cited as a mistake...the auditors said they will 'correct' it next year??? I would have thought this is a serious offence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

what is the gross amount per the accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

How do you know what the exact salaries for the year are?

Is there one employee on €50k?

Does the salary figure include an employee pension contribution that has been reanalysed to Pensions.

Does the P35 figure include BIK that's not in the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

the highest paid salaries are shown in the statement e.g. 10 people on 60-70k however the previous years they were listed as 10 people on 70-80 k.

They have not taken a salary drop..yet the statement appears to show that they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

There's a possibilty that its a year end date error especially if the year ended 30th June and people got paid on Friday 1st July.
    This could see salaries for June not showing on the accounts and could have been missed.

Making assumptions can be very dangerous unless you really know and understand what you are doing.

If it is not a material error that affects taxation or stock market issues, then correcting it in the next period won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

In this age of new transparency in relation to charities and emoluments, total wage cost and salaries do not make up the same number. A changed accounting regime perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

I don't work in accounts...I just see whats going on in this place. I just think it's interesting that the Director of Finance and the head accountant 'missed it'..and so did the auditor apparently...like all the previous years financial statements read the exact same from year to year...but 2015 doesn't.

Advertisement