Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Applying for Advertised PHD

• 14-09-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I'm just in the final stages of an mlitt. I have handed in a draft and will be making corrections from now until I submit in December. I am available to work full time at the moment though. I have seen a PHD advertised that i think I am qualified for and would enjoy. However it doesn't say when the phd would start. I'm wondering does anyone have an experience of applying for advertised PHDs and how long they might have waited? i am worried that if it is before I submit they won't accept me as a candidate as I will technically still be a full time student in another college.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi guys,

I'm just in the final stages of an mlitt. I have handed in a draft and will be making corrections from now until I submit in December. I am available to work full time at the moment though. I have seen a PHD advertised that i think I am qualified for and would enjoy. However it doesn't say when the phd would start. I'm wondering does anyone have an experience of applying for advertised PHDs and how long they might have waited? i am worried that if it is before I submit they won't accept me as a candidate as I will technically still be a full time student in another college.

Thanks for your help!

It entirely depends on so many factors tbh. Colleges tend to only take two intakes of PhD students throughout the year (September and April), however there are ways around that.

It also depends on the funding source(s) as to when the funding is available and when the position needs to be filled by.

Your best bet is to contact the person who advertised it and ask them. Or fire ahead with the application and if you get called for interview they will likely ask when you would be able to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

sullivlo wrote: »
    Colleges tend to only take two intakes of PhD students throughout the year (September and April), however there are ways around that.
    Really? I thought it was a lot more fluid and there were no set times for PhDs to begin. I personally know 2 people who have started in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

i am worried that if it is before I submit they won't accept me as a candidate as I will technically still be a full time student in another college.
    Seems very unlikely, but as said above, the best way to find out is to just ask!

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was a lot more fluid and there were no set times for PhDs to begin. I personally know 2 people who have started in January.
    It's very common at large institutions with a lot of PhD students to have everyone start at the same time - makes administration much more straightforward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They'll know you're still writing up when you apply, and unless it's a specific programme, it probably has some flexibility in the start date (and academics aren't the most punctual ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 have_question

As it turns out the candidate must not have lived in Ireland in the past 3 years. So that obviously rules me out. Thank you all for your replies though, hopefully will be useful for future applications!

As it turns out the candidate must not have lived in Ireland in the past 3 years. So that obviously rules me out. Thank you all for your replies though, hopefully will be useful for future applications!
    You know what, I would still contact the supervisor in question and express your interest in the project. Ok, you may not be eligible for this particular funding, but it's no harm to let them know you're interested in the work they're doing. They may be planning on taking on more PhD students or they may know of a suitable project elsewhere. Academics are generally pretty accommodating when it comes to chatting with prospective students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 have_question

djpbarry wrote: »
    You know what, I would still contact the supervisor in question and express your interest in the project. Ok, you may not be eligible for this particular funding, but it's no harm to let them know you're interested in the work they're doing. They may be planning on taking on more PhD students or they may know of a suitable project elsewhere. Academics are generally pretty accommodating when it comes to chatting with prospective students.

Thank you, that's a really good suggestion and I will do that!

Advertisement