Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to dry Yew

• 14-09-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys, just received this slab of yew and am wondering is there any particular way I should dry it to ensure it doesn't warp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hiya guys, just received this slab of yew and am wondering is there any particular way I should dry it to ensure it doesn't warp

make sure you put it on a flat surface place 20mm by 20mm battens under it which stretch the full width of the board every 25 cm place them on top as well and cover with a sheet of ply and then put concrete blocks on top of ply to weigh it down paint the end grain to stop it cracking and leave it for one year per 25 mm thickness of slab good luck ps . you can get the battens in any builders providers for nothing if you know the lads as all timber comes into the yard with them between them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks so much for all the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

JJayoo wrote: »

I've dried lots of Yew and concur with the above. Its remarkably resistant to decay and seems to resist fungal infection in the log anyway. Just don't use MDF as the support sticks - they go mouldy very fast ( don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: ) A beautiful wood but tricky to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for all the info guys, just need to figure out what to do with it.

Advertisement