Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Frame

Options
  • 14-09-2016 5:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am looking at a winter frame but also one for a commute of about 20km each way.

I think Lenny has one of these but wonder if anyone has any thoughts on it and open to other suggestions as well..

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-525-reynolds-audax-winter-frameset/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I have it. Nice frame and I use it every day on my commute.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83723249&postcount=5316

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A couple of my friends have Dolan Preffisios, and have nothing but good to say about them.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/road-framesets-aluminium.html

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A couple of my friends have Dolan Preffisios, and have nothing but good to say about them.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/road-framesets-aluminium.html

Would agree with them, bought a Preffisio last winter for commuting, was pleasantly surprised by it, perfect bad weather trainer/commuter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I can recommend the Genesis Equilibrium. Excellent winter bike/ light tourer. If you keep an eye on ukbikedepot or Tweek cycles they start to offer great discounts on this years models about now. You might even get one cheap on mycycle.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i had one of them, ended up selilng it. Not sure why. It was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Another Preffisio user here. I bought a new/built up but not used, frame from eBay, which cost me about €220 landed. I needed a fair bit of stuff, as I wasn't butchering another bike so I (over)spent another €600 getting it road ready for the winter, mudguards etc. I rode it a fair bit during the winter but was never really in love with it, the full build was really a bit too heavy and I spent too many Saturdays trying to keep pace with the club whippets...........lesson learned. Nonetheless, it is getting towards its time again and I'm nearly looking forward to putting away the Colnago and getting back on the Dolan............ I think. Strong, sturdy and reliable, some users complain that the Dolan carbon forks are a bit buzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Out of curiosity, what makes a frame a winter frame for training/commuting? Anything that isn't carbon and has eyelets for a pannier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

lennymc wrote: »

You told me it was too heavy and slow ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Plastik wrote: »

That was just Lenny ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    That was just Lenny ;)

I'd be awfully tempted by this myself if I knew how to strip or build a bike.

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b0s804p18663/Frames_And_Forks/Road_Frame_Packs/GENESIS_Tour_de_Fer_725_Frameset_2016

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's a few paganini frames in humphries which I like the look of - including at least one 853 frame - bit I think they're new old stock so sizing could be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b0s6p18704/Road_Bikes/Road/GENESIS_Equilibrium_Decade_2016
    sell group and front wheel (with shutter precision hub) and B&M light and you would have a very cheap quality frame

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

jon1981 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what makes a frame a winter frame for training/commuting? Anything that isn't carbon and has eyelets for a pannier?
    Yeah, braze-ons for racks are handy, as is clearance for decent mudguards (esp. front forks), and perhaps for wider tyres (e.g., Nokians, if we have another 2012/2013 winter).

Plastik wrote: »

Haha. Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, it was heavy and slow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b0s6p18704/Road_Bikes/Road/GENESIS_Equilibrium_Decade_2016
    sell group and front wheel (with shutter precision hub) and B&M light and you would have a very cheap quality frame

If there was any way I thought I could get away with getting this into the house, I'd get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

ford2600 wrote: »
    If it's for winter commuting, you should hang on to the dynamo hub and light - the SP hub is very good, light and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

as someone said to me before how could you build a bike when you can buy a full bike like this at this price :eek: http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2016-caadx-tiagra-cyclocross-bike-bycdm6cadxtcyn.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

thekooman wrote: »
    as someone said to me before how could you build a bike when you can buy a full bike like this at this price :eek: http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2016-caadx-tiagra-cyclocross-bike-bycdm6cadxtcyn.html

Because I have a budget of €200 and everything already bar the frame...

Also building up bikes and mixing matching and riding any and everything is just the way we roll :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Because I have a budget of €200 and everything already bar the frame...

Also building up bikes and mixing matching and riding any and everything is just the way we roll :cool:

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

treborm wrote: »
    What about one of these? Thinking about getting one myself.

I'm using a 2015 Razor VRL, and they are quite a nice bike. Not the lightest in the world, but certainly not the heaviest. She is solidly built, and has all the pannier and mudguard lugs done. You could do quite a bit worse!

would you go single speed robfowl?

holdsworth something single speed frameset for 89 quid sterling plus delivery.

quelda_mens_overview.jpg?m=1454057837

would you go single speed robfowl?

holdsworth something single speed frameset for 89 quid sterling plus delivery.

I would for the commute bit but not for the full winter bike (I train with young fellas who are faster and fitter than me and the like of Koutobia who ride their good bikes all winter long ;) ).

Have one extra bike appearing may result in me losing a testicle, 2 appearing would result in certain death (unless you have a spare room???)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

thekooman wrote: »

I checked before with them and bike delivery to Ireland is £74.95 - free in UK, but PMotel etc will charge volumetric weight so that's out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I would for the commute bit but not for the full winter bike (I train with young fellas who are faster and fitter than me and the like of Koutobia who ride their good bikes all winter long ;) ).

Well I need a bike/frame for the winter.
    Choice is use the VCB machine and get a newer next year or pick up a winter frame and build that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I'd also recommend the Dolan Preffisios. Ordered directly from Dolan. Very quick delivery. Had all the parts from a previous bike so kept cost down.
    Solid bike but be warned ain't the lightest bike but perfect for the winter months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

how does a winter frame differ from a regular frame??

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

usually by value and material. many people will ride/race a carbon bike over the summer months when the weather i supposed to be nice and less damaging to the frame and components. your typical winter bike is alu/steel, worth relatively less and probably heavier. so overall you have a more durable heavier bike to get your winter training done on without worrying about costly components to replace... no real difference in terms of geometry unless you choose it to have so. i suppose people look out for eyelets to mount mudguards and the like for winter but there are solutions that dont require such design features.

im really not looking forward to going back to my winter bike :(

Advertisement