Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reluctant landlord - Tenant/Licencee queries, thanks!

Options
  • 14-09-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello all!

I'm the reluctant landlord of a x2 bed house here. It was my PPR up to several months ago and while living there myself, I rented out my spare room. This person is still there in the house and has been there for over 2 years. We had a written licensee agreement in place with a month to month arrangement, bills split etc with everything in my name.
    Upon moving out, I then also rented out my own room to a second tenant and this person took on bills etc as the original tenant didn't want to. (They had originally asked if I d keep the bills in my name, which I refused to).
    This 2nd tenant is now moving out and I m on the hunt for a replacement as the original tenant is only liable for their own rent. The original tenant is assisting with showing the house to perspective replacements, however all ads etc are in my name.
    The original tenant has advised that they will move out in the near future however will not give an exact date, and will not commit to any specific length of time.

With me so far?

So:

- What are my rights/and obligations as a LL when I have x2 tenants with x2 separate agreements? Are these guys tenants or licensees?

- Is the original tenant s written licensee agreement still valid given I don t live there anymore or can this be seen as null and void now.

- Can I ask the original tenant to commit to a minimum term or am I obliged to stick with the previous month to month arrangement (see point above).

- On what grounds could I ask the original tenant to move out (given they have advised they are looking elsewhere but won t give a move out date). Could I use the month to month arrangement in my favour?

- Do I register both tenants with the RTB separately, or is one record with both names sufficient (currently just have one record).

- Could I ask a new tenant to take on the lease of the whole house, therefore making the original tenant a subletter and licensee of theirs? Or is this changing the original tenants terms illegally? (They have previously advised that they wish to keep to all agreed previous t s+c s which would make sense as they work in their favour!)

- If I were to give the house to a letting agency to manage, how would it affect anyone already living in the house under x2 separate agreements.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Cheers!

Advertisement