Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMS Terror in Rathmullan

Options
  • 14-09-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

The Franklin ship, HMS Terror, discovered in the Arctic this week , has had an interesting history. On on earlier Arctic voyage she was badly damaged by crushing ice and had to limp back across the Atlantic, tied together by her anchor chain wrapped around three times. She landed at Knockala and then was beached on the battery beach at Rathmullan. A shipwright came from Chatham and repaired her enough to allow her to return to the naval dockyard for further work. The captain, George Beck, was so grateful to all the Local people who had helped nurse the ship and her crew back into serviceable condition that he held a ball for them in Rathmullan. It was on the revenue cutter, Whickham. HMS Terror was beached on the same shore from which the Earls departed, centuries earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thank god for that. From the title I thought it was a terrorist attack in rathmullan.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Well, she was one of the bomb vessels which inspired The Star Spangled Banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

I read the story of the discovery of the wreck a few days ago. Interesting to hear of the Donegal connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I never knew the Donegal connection either. Thank you for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I love the Sinead O'Connor version. It's my fave. And then, of course, Bob Dylan turned the song and theme into Bob Dylan's Dream.

Advertisement