Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Astec Alarm- upgrade options

Options
  • 14-09-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice in relation to an existing alarm installation which I'm considering upgrading. The existing alarm is an Astec, installed 2003, so old and obsolete in any event. It was never a reliable system (im my experience as a user) and I am considering upgrading. I've had an installer look at the job and I'm waiting on a price. I'm not very well up on the terminology so please be gentle on me!

Installer is recommending a HKC system, which will be mostly wireless due to unsuitability of existing wiring (which was retrofitted specifically for Astec so inadequate for anything else. I'll have 5 wireless inertia sensors on windows with 6/ 10 wired contact sensors (wired back to wireless sensors). 2 contact sensors for doors, wired panel, wired internal sounder, wired external sounder, 2 x dummy external boxes, wireless keypad, 2 x wired PIR motion detectors, 1x wireless PIR. I've agreed to run cable for the wired elements (possibly reuse existing wired routes if suitable, as I know where all the wires run etc). All this plus the GSM digidialler. What is this likely to cost, incl. parts, labour and commissioning? Is this the right way to go? I thought the Astec system was great when I put I in with the help of an electrician years ago pre PSA of course) but I want this second run to be the last time I need to look at a security system. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say he is mainly wrong on much of the wiring. We retrofit into Astec configurations all the time without much hassle.
    Putting in 6/10 wired sensors through a wireless sensor is not a very good solution either IMO.
    Also with wireless keypads I would recommend at least 1 wired keypad. I think HKC advise this also.
    I would recommend the GSD i1070 system . We use these now for all our Astec upgrades. The zone inputs can be programmed for Astec configurations also.
    It would also give you the option for apps for notifications & control of the system without incurring subscription charges.
    With out getting into pricing here, from what you are describing ,it seems a bit patchy.
    I would recommend you get out 3 licenced installers to do a full survey of the system & the wiring and see what is the best way to go.
    Was the house pre-wired during construction or is the wiring all surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks for the reply Koolkid. The house was not pre-wired, all of the wiring was surface mounted by me and terminated at the panel for subsequent wiring by my electrician at the time. Sounds like I'll need to get some others to look at it also. The whole Astec system seemed to be putting this guy off anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

In my experience many lads who install HKC don't want to know about any other options and will seem intent on using this system regardless of what you want. Shop around and get a few quotes. It would be hard for me to advise you further on the wiring without actually seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks for the advice KoolKid, I'll definitely shop around. Appreciate the heads up.

Advertisement