Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know what breed of cat this is?

• 14-09-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I gotta say, I love his squashed up face!

cat-screens-hampshire.jpg

thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Looks like an Exotic Longhair... or Exotic Shorthair... or a Persian. :) Unfortunately a lot of them can have the same breathing issues as Pugs, Bulldogs, etc. Very sweet cats though.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

163006_700b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Looks like a bi-colour persian. They're lovely cats, but I fostered two a few years ago with the same squashed faces and they had awful breathing problems. I have a half persian rescue now and her face is just a bit longer but doesn't have any of the issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

breathing problems at rest? or when they are larking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

thats indeed a persian. Well overbred poor thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

breathing problems at rest? or when they are larking about?

Like dogs, it depends on the individual cat/breeding. Met a few who were all snuffles when simply resting, met others who were totally grand when they were chilling out. Never been around one who was larkin' about, but I'm sure that's where you would notice issues most. :p

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

With the extremely flat faces like the one above, they tend to be sniffly, snore a bit, and you need to clean around their eyes and noses daily to stop a buildup of dirt. They can also have badly undershot jaws. They have great personalities, but I would reccommend anyone looking at persians to go for a dollface which would be the more traditional persian. Unfortunately backyard breeders and kitten farmers are on the rise so there's loads of badly bred persians out there now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Chinchilla Persians, slightly smaller than traditional Persians also have the 'doll' face, which leads to eat less breathing and eye problems. There is a trend of breeding them for the more squashed face lately but there's still some lovely healthy ones out there being bred!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I was looking at more pictures of them - they look like, totally grumpy!! I felt a bit sad then, like they could be misunderstood and no-one would love them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

like all fashion trends - and there is a fashion trend in the pet breeding industry - breeders will produce litters favouring features and whats seen as cute/trendy/fashionable. Without any regard for the health effects this selective breeding brings to the animal.
    That persian/grumpy looks is very popular at the moment :(
    I would advise anyone considering a pet with any of these exaggerated features to get pet insurance immediately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement