Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to landlord reference

Options
  • 14-09-2016 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hey

this question has probably been answered quite a bit but any advice appreciated.

Basically I have decided to search for a new apartment and my query is that is the landlord reference a printed reference you need to submit or would alternatives be acceptable.

I havent actually given notice on my current apartment yet so I dont have one and I dont think my landlord would give me a written piece of paper. I have lived there a long time and always paid rent but they are just not one for paperwork.

Therefore I am gathering a work reference which confirms I am in full time permanent employment and also I am able to provide a deposit and 3 months rent in advance if needed.

Would anything else be useful. I have the utilities in my name and if needed I can provide a bank statement showing rent paid for a year etc

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Usually a call to the current LL will do. I've given a few references both bona fide and spurious, never been asked for anything in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Don't underestimate how many people you'll be up against at the moment.

If a potential landlord is having a viewing where say 15 potential tenants show up, and some give phone numbers, and some give written, the written ones will most likely be favoured.

Otherwise you're forcing someone to start cold calling strangers. They won't bother and will just move on to the next person.

Get a written reference if you can. It'll work in your favour over those who don't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

Oh totally and that is no worries.

I havent handed in my notice on my own apt yet and I am flexible in respect of move in dates and deposits and rent upfront etc.

I am also flexible on what I am can afford.

I actually have a viewing this evening and all they are asking is to bring refs if I have them. I dont have them yet so I am really just looking for guidance on what is being asked for currently or what alternatives I can offer.

PS interesting viewing. Only 6 potential tenants excluding me. Was expecting a lot more. Dont think I will get it I wasnt dismissed straight away

Advertisement