Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three (UK) Mobile preloaded 3GB Data

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Just ordered one.

If I put it into an unlocked phone, will I be able to use the phone for calls and also use it as a wifi device to connect to my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

Murt10 wrote: »
    Just ordered one.

If I put it into an unlocked phone, will I be able to use the phone for calls and also use it as a wifi device to connect to my laptop?

This is a data sim, so no phonecalls. In a phone, 3UK will not allow tethering abroad, ie here in Ireland. Not sure if it allows tethering on a phone in the UK itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is a data sim, so no phonecalls. In a phone, 3UK will not allow tethering abroad, ie here in Ireland. Not sure if it allows tethering on a phone in the UK itself.

How can they tell that the phone is tethered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

How can they tell that the phone is tethered?

I don't know how, but they definitely know. A warning comes up to say that you cannot avail of this option when you try it in a phone. I've tried it with both an ordinary 3UK sim and the data one mentioned in the OP.

The data sim works fine in a mifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I don't know how, but they definitely know. A warning comes up to say that you cannot avail of this option when you try it in a phone. I've tried it with both an ordinary 3UK sim and the data one mentioned in the OP.

The data sim works fine in a mifi.

If you have rooted android and are comfortable with editing system stuff that can break your phone then open prompt and run
    su
    settings put global tether_dun_required 0

For marshmallow and nougat and possibly others you need to add this to the bottom of the build prop and restart
    net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So a dual sim phone just using this for data abroad would be ok?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Yes

Thanks, was pretty sure, but confirmation is always nice!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Yes, I have used it in a dual sim phone in Spain. It's slow going though and I now prefer to get a local sim for the mifi unit.

It works ok for data in my phone here in Ireland, but again, the 3 network is not great overall. Very hit and miss when you're out and about. I can use Whatsapp and web text and some basic surfing. Forget Spotify or anything else more demanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

Guys, I am currently in the US and bought one of the 3gb ones to use. The data is working but I can't send texts or make calls - am I doing something silly??? Any ideas??

Also, slightly OT but I have a Samsung S5 and it keeps denying me access to wifi saying these are security issues .. have googled but can't figure it ... OHs S6 has no issues with the same wifis.
    tia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Only wrote: »
    Guys, I am currently in the US and bought one of the 3gb ones to use. The data is working but I can't send texts or make calls - am I doing something silly??? Any ideas??

These are data only sims, no calls and texts.

What I normally do with these sims is bring a second old phone and use in with my Irish Sim for calls and texts.

Note of course you can still use whatsapp, etc. to "text" and "call" people with.
    Also, slightly OT but I have a Samsung S5 and it keeps denying me access to wifi saying these are security issues .. have googled but can't figure it ... OHs S6 has no issues with the same wifis.
    tia

The wifi you are trying to log into needs you to go to a special web page and either agree to the terms and conditions or pay for it in some way. This is often the case with hotel wifi, coffee shop wifi, etc.

I'm not sure exactly how it works on Android phones, but try connecting to the wifi and then launch your web browser and try going to google.com, you might see a special page then where you complete the log into the wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

bk wrote: »

These are data only sims, no calls and texts.

What I normally do with these sims is bring a second old phone and use in with my Irish Sim for calls and texts.

Note of course you can still use whatsapp, etc. to "text" and "call" people with.
    tia

The wifi you are trying to log into needs you to go to a special web page and either agree to the terms and conditions or pay for it in some way. This is often the case with hotel wifi, coffee shop wifi, etc.

I'm not sure exactly how it works on Android phones, but try connecting to the wifi and then launch your web browser and try going to google.com, you might see a special page then where you complete the log into the wifi.
    Thanks very much! I had thought this sim was the one with the calls and texts - is there a different one that I confused it with??
    I am managing to use the data anyways so working it with facebook messenger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Does anyone know if the Three UK sims preloaded with £20 credit need to be used in the UK first? I'm referring to the standard SIM card, not a data only SIM card. I've seen conflicting reports on whether they have to be activated in the UK first. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

VG31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Three UK sims preloaded with £20 credit need to be used in the UK first? I'm referring to the standard SIM card, not a data only SIM card. I've seen conflicting reports on whether they have to be activated in the UK first. Thanks!

I believe with the data one you can activate it for the first time in any country. Haven't tried it myself though. I would think the normal Sims would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

going to get one of theses completely free and come with 200mbs a month free. Dont know if they were mentioned here before
    https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

going to order one off ebay for a quid or so.

Ive made an offer to this guy for £1.50 to ship it to ireland
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/182219572267?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

bpb101 wrote: »
    going to get one of theses completely free and come with 200mbs a month free. Dont know if they were mentioned here before
    https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

going to order one off ebay for a quid or so.

Ive made an offer to this guy for £1.50 to ship it to ireland
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/182219572267?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All the hassle for 200mb which wont last a day when abroad

Advertisement