Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record tools.

Comments

kadman wrote: »
    Nice to see quality second hand tools cropping up now and again.

http://www.adverts.ie/hand-tools/four-record-32-inch-speedcramps/11340995

Recently picked up a few bargains in the boot sale, record too.

My tool allowance is up for this month:D

Me likey:)

Nice clamps, What car boot sale did you manage to pick up the bargains at?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Yeah, clamps are a giveaway at that price.

Just picked up a Sorby wheelrights axe for 5 euro, and a 4 lb
    metal forming hammer for 5 euro, this morning.

Clara boot sale, offaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

unlike this one lol

http://www.adverts.ie/hand-tools/work-zone-clamp/11378316

I bought a heap of them when they were for sale in aldi, and I believe they where 10e for 2

Nuff said then. Record clamps are a giveaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Less than that - 8 euro for two of the large or three of the small.
    They're really only suited for things like holding down tarps, or grabbing something quick so you can get a real clamp onto it. If you try putting too much pressure on them, the trigger mechanism slips, and even if it didn't, I don't think those clamp heads would stand the pressure. Wouldn't pay much more than I did for them, I'd get one of the Irwin quick-grips instead (the newer Xtreme models, not the normal ones).

All that said though, if you see them going in Lidl or Aldi again for the seven or eight euro they were going for, grab five of them. At that price, they're well worth it.

The lidl F-clamps on the other hand, are worth a bit more than they're charging, those things are nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Interesting addition to that link
    http://www.adverts.ie/hand-tools/hilti-dx460-powder-actuated-nailer/11404151
    not something you see often around these parts

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I'm kindof thinking the powder quite probably drags in the Firearms Act in this country.
    I mean, the piston probably saves it from being considered a firearm, but the powder gets covered by the firearms act and the explosives act (and there's a bit of a Thing™ about the law surrounding powder and hand-loading ammunition in the target shooting world in Ireland).
    Not sure I'd risk that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yeah, but I can walk into the gadget shop and buy a crossbow (which are restricted firearms in Ireland). Firearms act here is a bit... bad? awful? written like someone let a blind boy scout with a hatchet loose on it?
    But once you start using tools that you have to buy ammunition for, you're pretty much in a gray area at best in Irish law. There's no exemption for nailguns that I know of.
    Like I said, I wouldn't risk it myself.

Well I see dozens of these plus 100,s of charges for sale in the booter each weekend.

I doubt it very much if all the builders that use these on every site in Ireland have
    a fire arms cert to use them.I certainly never had one, and was never asked for one
    on any secured site I worked on in the country...

Of course things may well have changed now, maybe someone could put
    the record straight on it.

Great bit of kit all the same.

• Advertisement

It's probably exactly the same as paintball so, ie. completely and utterly illegal in Ireland at present and not in a minor way (legally, your average paintball marker is in exactly the same category as a glock 9mm pistol), to the point where you could actually charge the guy mucking out the toilets for a paintball field under the Firearms Act on a charge that carries up to seven years in prison *and* twenty grand in fines -- but the Gardai do not want to know and nobody looks at it because "erra, nobody meant that when they wrote the law".

I still wouldn't touch one, but I might have annoyed one or two gardai over the years* and best not tempt fate :D

* Note the profile bit to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Got what I considered a decent deal On two record tools last week.
    Record BS 300 bandsaw and the DX4000 dust extractor. Both as new for €700, less than a year old. They're currently about 1,200 in ronaynes.
    Unfortunately the gentleman that sold them to me was just taking up woodtuening last year as part of his retirement but just couldn't hack the dust. Had the extractor, open shed and the battery powered face mask but was still crippled with it. anyway, he was happy to sell and I was happy to buy.

delaney001 wrote: »
    Got what I considered a decent deal On two record tools last week.
    Record BS 300 bandsaw and the DX4000 dust extractor. Both as new for €700, less than a year old. They're currently about 1,200 in ronaynes.
    Unfortunately the gentleman that sold them to me was just taking up woodtuening last year as part of his retirement but just couldn't hack the dust. Had the extractor, open shed and the battery powered face mask but was still crippled with it. anyway, he was happy to sell and I was happy to buy.

Good deal for definite.

Advertisement