Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info on demolished buildings on St Stephen's Green West

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Found this cracker on Pinterest. The buildings looked great in 1946. Never saw it before and no idea what's written across it.

a97a5c42895d1f812de6cb4ba59b1c63.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 d4guy

Looks like Rice's held out until the end.

May's music was at no 130 for a long time. And I have heard of Tasty's cafe beside the Green Cinema. Again anyone who can confirm this would be great!

From the 50s, Rices before it was Rices!

nolans-pub-1950s.jpg

Yes Eamonn was there from '56 to mid '60 before him it was the Four Provinces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

As an aside, when was Grafton St pedestrianised?

1979 I believe

I have got some pics from an outside source and will only share them once I have the Mod's (no Pun intended) approval

That is one of the best pics I have seen here. thanks to Ollaetta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

d4guy wrote: »
    1979 I believe

I think was early eighties, I clearly remember driving down it in traffic up to 80 - 81.

• Advertisement

From some of the pics here I believe it was 1980s as there are road markings visible on grafton street in some of them

https://www.pinterest.com/donalallman/70s-80s-dublin/

Pinterest thread on 70s and 80s Dublin

Dodge wrote: »
    As an aside, when was Grafton St pedestrianised?

Pedestrianisation of Grafton Street 1982

Yes, you were right K Flyer 1982 it was. I seem to remember that it went one way perhaps that was the late 70s.

Drive down Grafton Street (and elsewhere in Dublin) inn 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Yes, as far as I remember it was one of the last buildings to be demolished on the site. Rice's and the House of Cards closed in late 1985 and was knocked in April 1986 and the cinema in July 1987. I am open to correction but that's from memory and a few things I've read.

I'd love to know the name of the last film ever shown in the cinema!

The Green cinema was sold in October 1987 to Doyles hotels. They closed it the following month and it was demolished in early 1988. The site of the Green cinema was derelict until 2002! Hard to believe. The office block that was built on the site housed Bank of Scotland until they ran!:D

It would of been two films screened last as the cinema had two screens by 1987. From memory one of them was Beverly Hills Cop II. It tended to get films that came off the Savoy, Adelphi and Carlton after a few weeks.

Pity this 1950s pic isn't clearer.

Dublin,_1955_King_Street_South_from_St_Stephen's_Green_geograph-3772643-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm 41 but I can't really remember the buildings that were there before the shopping centre was built. I do know that the Dandelion Market occupied much of that location and a gay friendly bar, Rices, was located on the corner.

From the photos it doesn't look like the demolished building were of any special architectural merit - but neither is the St Stephens Green centre.

On a side note, I've heard that the Centre is due to be extensively refurbished, largely dispensing of its Mississippi Paddle steamer character.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JupiterKid wrote: »
    On a side note, I've heard that the Centre is due to be extensively refurbished, largely dispensing of its Mississippi Paddle steamer character.
    ...presumably to be replaced by yet another sterile hub predominantly filled with British shops

Yes, when you look back at the old pics, it's a shame that we lost our sense of being unique, with, for example, Mrs Doyle's Sweetshop, v & s victualler etc but one great gem was May's music, 130 St Stephen's Green.

• Advertisement

ollaetta wrote: »
    Pity this 1950s pic isn't clearer.

Dublin,_1955_King_Street_South_from_St_Stephen's_Green_geograph-3772643-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

That's a great pic. I found out from a friend of mine that just where the Bus Stop Newsagent is now, was for a time Leon Hairstylists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That's a great pic. I found out from a friend of mine that just where the Bus Stop Newsagent is now, was for a time Leon Hairstylists.

A really lovely photo. And the view these days is below. My only real memories of the area were dereliction in the early 80s. I tended to be brought to the Henry Street area in the 70s so never got the chance to experience the Green back then.

South King Street.jpg

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A really lovely photo. And the view these days is below. My only real memories of the area were dereliction in the early 80s. I tended to be brought to the Henry Street area in the 70s so never got the chance to experience the Green back then.

South King Street.jpg

Looking at the two there is no doubt that the modern streetscape is skank by comparison. Not a shred of character.

Here are some of the best pics of the area 1976, 1978, 1987 and 1988 respectively.

The 1987 pic is the one which is hardest to place because at first glance you would think it was along the quays. However, the Gaiety sign to the right gives it away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gosh that 1987 picture is shocking - the whole block gone. Whoosh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree. I thought for a moment it was somewhere along the Liffey until I did a double take.

Does anyone know how to put up a photo which looks like it is pasted in rather than by a link? Have tried but can only seem to produce a link.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Does anyone know how to put up a photo which looks like it is pasted in rather than by a link? Have tried but can only seem to produce a link.

When you have the image uploaded and the pop up window still open, right click on the image link and click 'Copy link location' (or something similar)

Click on the yellow 'Insert image' icon insertimage.gif

Paste link into box.

Hey thanks miamee for that. I came across some new pics from the area and I will post them once I have more time. On another note, I found out the exact dates that both Sinnott's and Rice's were demolished. It was between 11 and 13 August 1986. Once these buildings came down, the whole site was then completely clear and construction began on the shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Here are some of the best pics of the area 1976, 1978, 1987 and 1988 respectively.

The 1987 pic is the one which is hardest to place because at first glance you would think it was along the quays. However, the Gaiety sign to the right gives it away.

Blow-in here: that 1987 pic is amazing - not least in relation to the questions it raises re Dublin Bus routes. It's so bizarre to see a 46A that close to the Stephen's Green Centre.

Advertisement