Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info on demolished buildings on St Stephen's Green West

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Blow-in here: that 1987 pic is amazing - not least in relation to the questions it raises re Dublin Bus routes. It's so bizarre to see a 46A that close to the Stephen's Green Centre.

I'd have thought it was only a few years (maybe a decade?) ago when that was the 46a route before they changed the direction of traffic around the green. Mind you I'm starting to doubt my memory now! Great pic though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd have thought it was only a few years (maybe a decade?) ago when that was the 46a route before they changed the direction of traffic around the green. Mind you I'm starting to doubt my memory now! Great pic though!

Yes I certainly remember getting the 10 or 46A from UCD to town and the bus came around the green that way and stopped there outside what was Habitat at the time butis now Topshop, I think. It came up Leeson Street and around afair (mid-90s).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 d4guy

Yes, you're right. The 46A and 11 and the buses which came into town through Leeson Street, would continue straight up Stephen's Green South before turning up Stephen's Green West and turning again at Stephen's Green North and then Dawson Street, until they reversed the direction of traffic some time in 2002 I believe.

miamee wrote: »
    Yes I certainly remember getting the 10 or 46A from UCD to town and the bus came around the green that way and stopped there outside what was Habitat at the time butis now Topshop, I think. It came up Leeson Street and around afair (mid-90s).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 d4guy

RTE archives have a few good clips around that area. 1978, 1981, 1982, 1986 and 1987 well worth watching. I had forgotten that before house of cards (140 St Stephen's Green) that Indian Bazaar was there for a time.

Does anyone know what was there before Hungry Harry's? This would have been closer to Gaiety Green, someone told me it was called tasty's (mid-60s) but I wasn't around then but would love to hear back from anyone who might know/remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Raelite

Thanks for posting the pics. My Great Grandfather Robert Henderson was born in No 140 St Stephen's Green West in 1844. His father Thomas was a master saddler & harness maker. Both his parents died in 1845 & property was sold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement