Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone out there give me some advice about a long distance relationship?

Options
  • 15-09-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey guys. I was looking for a bit of advice about a long distance relationship.

Can any of you out there share your experiences about the subject with me? Especially advice if you are IN a long distance relationship and how you are making it work.

I've been with my girlfriend now for 6 months. Shes been here to see me and I've been to France to see her too and things are unbelievable when we're together. Lately though I'm struggling to find a good work-visit balance (I left my job to visit her in France for 2 months over the summer and I'm looking for a new job). Can anyone out there tell me what works and what doesn't.

Any advice on this topic will be greatly appreciated and will be of GREAT value to me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Don't quite a job when you've got plane tickets to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You need to get a horse.

To take to France

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RiskiiDingo

Well I quit the job for a number of reasons but 2 months on the Spanish boarder certainly helped. You see its a bit of a catch 22 because shes in college and she doesn't have a crazy amount of time to spend in airports. If I get a job I won't have time to visit her but if I don't I'll have no money to visit her. I'm considering going part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Has she come visit you? As it sounds very much one way according to what you wrote above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Does anyone have a crazy amount of time to spend in airports? I like people watching in Gatwick South as much as the next man, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it

• Advertisement

"Has she come visit you? As it sounds very much one way according to what you wrote above. "

Yes. When she was on summer break she was over twice. There's no slacking in her department at all now I must say...

Does anyone have a crazy amount of time to spend in airports? I like people watching in Gatwick South as much as the next man, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it

I think its worth it for me to do this as things stand. She's a good girl; not many of those around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Invent a teleportation device. But don't let a fly in there. I know that sounds trivial and unimportant, but, believe me, it is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

"Has she come visit you? As it sounds very much one way according to what you wrote above. "

Yes. When she was on summer break she was over twice. There's no slacking in her department at all now I must say...

Give good head does she? You know women can do that in Ireland too.

I'm not offering btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Since you don't have a job, have you considered getting one in France?

• Advertisement

Since you don't have a job, have you considered getting one in France?

Its defiantly something I would consider. Not move in directly to her house but get a job somewhere in the region. Only thing is that I can't speak French very well :c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Its defiantly something I would consider. Not move in directly to her house but get a job somewhere in the region. Only thing is that I can't speak French very well :c

Hey calm down! No need to get het up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

In my experience, long-distance relationships dont work.

Your Face wrote: »

No in this day in age I refuse to believe that. Its only 32 quid for a return ticket plus 60 for bus tickets. Its not too bad. Its more of a time management thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No in this day in age I refuse to believe that. Its only 32 quid for a return ticket plus 60 for bus tickets. Its not too bad. Its more of a time management thing....

Its more the time apart you should be thinking about.

Its more the time apart you should be thinking about.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

In what way?

Absence makes the heart wander

0lordy wrote: »
    Absence makes the heart wander

I'm not worried about that. I mean I wouldn't be in a situation like this if I did worry about such things. But I know what you mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A friend of mine had a long distance relationship with a French girl. It was too hard, so he moved over there to be with her. He stayed for 3 years and in that time was never able to find a job. They were living in a studio apartment and she was working all the time while he spent all his time trying to learn French and find work. In the end, living on top of one another on a small income and him nosediving into depression led to him leaving her and coming home. Didn't seem like fun times at all.

Although I went to visit them for a few days and she had an itinerary and showed us all the sights, and took us to some wonderful restaurants. So it worked out well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

My mate was in a long distance relationship Spain-Ireland for years
    They got married and have two kids so in my experience they do
    However both were in their 30s
    I used to love seducing girls when I was in college that had boyfriends back home cos you didn't have to go out with them after .
    This was 20 years ago before tinder
    You people don't know you are born

• Advertisement

A friend of mine had a long distance relationship with a French girl. It was too hard, so he moved over there to be with her. He stayed for 3 years and in that time was never able to find a job. They were living in a studio apartment and she was working all the time while he spent all his time trying to learn French and find work. In the end, living on top of one another on a small income and him nosediving into depression led to him leaving her and coming home. Didn't seem like fun times at all.

Although I went to visit them for a few days and she had an itinerary and showed us all the sights, and took us to some wonderful restaurants. So it worked out well for me.

Yes I absolutly see this happening to me if I don't play my cards right. But I Ddefinatly don't want to do NOTHING at all if you get me. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Does she speak English, I'm hoping not. That would be interesting.:D

Tigger wrote: »
    My mate was in a long distance relationship Spain-Ireland for years
    They got married and have two kids so in my experience they do
    However both were in their 30s
    I used to love seducing girls when I was in college that had boyfriends back home cos you didn't have to go out with them after .
    This was 20 years ago before tinder
    You people don't know you are born

That's good to hear. Yes I'm really hoping to be one of the success stories!

Thanks for sharing!

johnayo wrote: »
    Does she speak English, I'm hoping not. That would be interesting.:D

Oh yeah she's fully fluent thank god haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you about joining the FRench Foreign Legion ?
    You might be based near her or in Africa .

Have you about joining the FRench Foreign Legion ?
    You might be based near her or in Africa .

I wouldn't say they'd have much use of a skinny music type unfortunately ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thing I'll say is just go with it, this is your life and it becomes your memories
    This will either be the story of how ye stayed together despite distance or it will be the story of how your heart was broken by a French girl
    But it will be your story
    What's that quote ?
    The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

Yeah be the guy with the interesting story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Long distance relationships = lots of phone and Skype 'chats'.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

If you need to ask, youre clearly not certain on the situation imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

long distance relationship eh? How long are you?

Advertisement