Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down to 4

• 15-09-2016 2:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

First let me say please move if no need to start a new thread but I couldn't find a place I deemed appropriate enough.

As the title says I'm down to the last 4 in deciding which team to follow. I've been a fan & watching the NFL religiously the last 5/6 years with more of a love of all quarter backs instead of teams but the last 2 years I've been following the St. Louis Rams but since the relocation the franchise just seems too plastic for me in LA not to mention that god awful pair of Snead & Fisher.

I looking at following a team that have a) a good quarter back. b) a loyal & passionate fan base & c) finally a team I'll still have interest in come December!

The 4 I have it dwindled down to that I think all fit the bill for the season anyways are The Raiders, The Giants, The Eagles & the steelers. Can someone please give me help in deciding who to pick before it drives insane! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't follow any one team - it was 49ers when I was a kid but the 2000s and then Harbaugh kinda killed that off ...

Anyway, of the ones you listed, I think the Steelers meet your requirements best. Current QB is insanely good (in every sense of the word). You could apply that to their fanbase too, and you get a rivalry game with the Ravens at least twice a year. Can't look past them in that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Trojan wrote: »
    I don't follow any one team - it was 49ers when I was a kid but the 2000s and then Harbaugh kinda killed that off ...

Anyway, of the ones you listed, I think the Steelers meet your requirements best. Current QB is insanely good (in every sense of the word). You could apply that to their fanbase too, and you get a rivalry game with the Ravens at least twice a year. Can't look past them in that list.

I'm a Patriots fan, but I have a sneaky admiration for the Steelers. Big Ben is a legend and with Brown, Williams and Bell to come in, they are seriously stacked in all aspects of their offence. They seem like a classy franchise all around and the fans are the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

gstack166 wrote: »
    the last 2 years I've been following the St. Louis Rams but since the relocation the franchise just seems too plastic for me

You're in Ireland, how more plastic can you get?

If you're just going to go with a quarterback, pick your favourite and be done with it.

I looking at following a team that have a) a good quarter back. b) a loyal & passionate fan base & c) finally a team I'll still have interest in come December!

You managed to reduce it to 4 and no mention of the Packers?

Toss a coin, go for the excitement of semi finals and finals, 3 coin flips, 15 seconds, decision made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

First let me say please move if no need to start a new thread but I couldn't find a place I deemed appropriate enough.

As the title says I'm down to the last 4 in deciding which team to follow. I've been a fan & watching the NFL religiously the last 5/6 years with more of a love of all quarter backs instead of teams but the last 2 years I've been following the St. Louis Rams but since the relocation the franchise just seems too plastic for me in LA not to mention that god awful pair of Snead & Fisher.

The 4 I have it dwindled down to that I think all fit the bill for the season anyways are The Raiders, The Giants, The Eagles & the steelers. Can someone please give me help in deciding who to pick before it drives insane! Thanks in advance!
    That plastic was when they weren't in LA which is their real home. They started out in Cleveland but moved to LA and stayed there nearly 40 years before moving to St. Louis. They are now back where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It doesn't really matter who you follow. Just watch the games more and you'll eventually develop an affiliation for a franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Those four all have something good going for them.

If it was me id pick Oakland or Pitsburgh.

Oakland have mental fans which would be good but would all their home games be on late sunday?

Pitsburgh better for watching most games and would go further into season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All of those franchises are decent in their own right but I really like what Oakland have been doing over the last 2-3 seasons.

I think they'll be a really fun team to watch and are worth getting excited for. Their fanbase look like they're good fun too.

I'd go along with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

You managed to reduce it to 4 and no mention of the Packers?

Toss a coin, go for the excitement of semi finals and finals, 3 coin flips, 15 seconds, decision made.

Yeah I'm surprised you didn't include the Packers too.... especially given the criteria.

I'm a Chargers fan and because our HC is McCoy we are not going to satisfy (c) some might argue we don't satisfy (b) too but I beg to differ.

Anyway of the 4 you mentioned I don't think the Eagles and Giants qualify and the Raiders barely qualify (can't say Carr is 100% proven just yet). So your team simply has to be the Steelers.

But like I said truly it's a choice between Pittsburgh, Green Bay and perhaps Seattle based on your criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Of the 4 you have it narrowed down to I would go with the Raiders. Carr looks like he could be one of the best of the bunch of the younger QB's (Eli & Big Ben might only have 3-4 years left). They also have studs in Amari Cooper and Khalil Mack to build around so they are a real franchise for now and the future.

Potentially could be moving to Las Vegas though so that might be a similar situation to the Rams I guess.

As far as being involved in December then really that is hard to say. Any team could get one or two injuries and have a lost season. Also 2 good drafts can easily turn a team around (unless you are the Browns).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The Raiders are a good shout based on the criteria.

The AFC North offers up intense rivalries that usually have division spots on the line in the final two games. The Ravens were awful last season finding new ways to lose but still nearly blew the Steelers' playoff chances in the second last game. Steelers beat the Bengals with a few games to go and again in the playoff.

And Steelers Bengals are two squads that really don't like each other. There will be interest right up to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Raiders, out of that bunch anyway. Althought they are still "potentially" a good team if your glory hunting December criteria is as important to you as it sounds ;) ...haha !

Teams with older, great QBs might defraud you. You pick them, Big Ben or Eli get injured and your left rooting for a rudderless ship. Steelers season suffered last year without him.

This is for life, not for Xmas, so pick a franchise you believe in rather than just a QB who can get injured, traded or simply fall apart under the pressure. Careers are short.

I'd try to convince you to be a Vikings fan, but a one legged Bridgewater and his replacement Sam Bradford are probably not going to be a big draw for QB fans. That said, we're a young side, best new stadium in the league, stable owners, stable GM (as in not a lunatic) , great new old head coach and a defense that is going to be a factor in the league for many years to come and a one of better up and coming WRs in the league in Diggs. If you get on board now you can enjoy the last seasons of the best RB in the league.

Warning, we will always fail. Right when you least expect it. Be it a wide left field goal to go the NFC championship or any other predictably unpredictable on field disaster, your heart will always be broken.

If you like purple, gjallerhorns and glorious failure..it has to be the Vikings ! If you're in it for the rings, go be a Patriots fan. I say dare to be different. Live the full gamut of footballing emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I would agree with the suggestion to toss a coin. Not because the actual result will be fair, but rather when the coin is in the air, you'll know for certain which side you want it to land on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If you've just dumped the Rams because they've moved you might not want to get too attached to the Oakland Raiders who are fluttering their eyelids at any City who might have them.

As a Giants fan I'd say New York but the Steelers are a solid shout. Green Bay would seem to tick all those boxes the most though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Does not compute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

glued wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter who you follow. Just watch the games more and you'll eventually develop an affiliation for a franchise.

This hits the nail on the head. You can toss a coin, do up some mathematical formula or some other ridiculous way to pick a team but barring any allegiance like living in a city or something, the only way to get a team is to let a team pick you. Watch enough games and you'll find yourself cheering on one team more than any other.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding college football. I've been watching for years but still don't have a team. I've tried to be a fan of Boise State and Notre Dame based on suggestions and a few other things but the pull just isn't there. I found no affiliation to either of them. The heart says no. So around 10 years later, I'm still on the lookout for a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Todays NFL is a passing league, which means its very hard to be successful without a top QB. Many of the teams that were successful in the 80s and 90s have fallen on hard times after their star QB retired and they found just how hard it is to replace them.

Subject to debate, the top QBs today are probably Aaron Rodgers(Green Bay), Tom Brady(New England), Ben Roethlisberger(Pittsburgh), Cam Newton (Carolina), Russell Wilson(Seattle), Carson Palmer(Arizona), Drew Brees(New Orleans), Andrew Luck(Indianapolis), Andy Dalton(Cincinnati), Philip Rivers(San Diego), Eli Manning(New York Giants) and possibly Tony Romo(Dallas), with the young up and coming QBs such Derek Carr(Oakland), Jameis Winston(Tampa Bay), Blake Bortles(Jacksonville) and Marcus Mariotta(Tennessee), not too far behind.

Now while QBs can often play well into their late 30s, many of the top names on this list will retire in the next five years with Rodgers(32), Tom Brady(39), Ben Roethlisberger(34), Cam Newton(27), Russell Wilson(27), Carson Palmer(36), Drew Brees(37), Andrew Luck(27), Andy Dalton(28), Philip Rivers(34), Eli Manning(35) and Tony Romo(36), meaning that the younger QBs such as Derek Carr(25), Jameis Winston(22), Blake Bortles(24) and Marcus Mariotta(22) will become top 10 QBs if they aren't already..

Finding a top new franchise QB can be hit and miss, but its a task that could be facing Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, Arizona, New Orleans, San Diego, Dallas and the New York Giants, which means that these teams could be facing a period out of the playoffs as they seek to rebuild. In some cases, replacing the star QB could be seamless, but in other cases it could be a struggle, which you might consider when choosing a team. Past success is no guarantee of future success. If a team is set at QB and wide receiver, then they've a good chance of success and should be fun to watch.

Advertisement