Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Guilt

Options
  • 15-09-2016 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Just finished a shift with a collegue who although I didn really dislike we just never jelled well if that makes sense? Everyone else hugged her, ill miss u, good luck etc.
    I wished her well in her new job and walked off, I dont feel guilty for not joining in on the whole hugging thing etc as its no secret we didnt see eye to eye and I wouldnt insult anyone by acting as if we were friends when we arent, however I do feel as if I didnt react to the situation appropriatly! Anyone any thoughts?

We got on ok but our personalities/work style just clashed. Theres no hatred im aware of anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I wouldn't sweat it. From what you say it sounds like you were genuine - you wished her well (and from your style of writing I'm getting that you actually do wish her well). Doesn't matter whether you are happy to see someone go or not. That's just life for you - you get on with some, you don't with others. It seems reflective of how you both got on and won't be a surprise. They won't be commenting elsewhere to say "you know yer man, he's as two faced as when I was leaving there were hugs all round" - may grumble about the other stuff you mention but can't say that you were not being genuine. Anyway, a day later and it will be forgotten. She's moved on as will your job too. Chill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

The whole hugging workmates/colleagues thing is a nonsense anyway. Save that for family and close friends.

You kept it polite and appropriate. That's the way it should be so don't give it another moments thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

Exactly how I feel guys however I just have this feeling I could have handled the situation differently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Nobody probably even noticed your reaction.
    If ye didn't get on well she'd have thought you were inappropriate doing the huggy thing.

You reacted very professionally and she was probably happy you wished her luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

its one of those things, we over think it ourselves but nobody else even noticed.

you were friendly and polite, theres no need to be kissing peoples ass because they are leaving.

dont stress you handled it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

Appreciate the replys guys, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As above, wouldn't sweat it.

Some genuine instances where I've hugged people as they have become really good friends. Or in some cases I search people out on their own to wish them the best and thank them as they've been a big help to me in whatever role I was doing.

I've also had instances where I've been very "good riddance" and some instances where I've just briefly shook the hand and wished them the best. Very few people I'd wish ill fortune to from them leaving, but as you say, I wouldn't feel the need to be false about a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's a non-issue.

You can guarantee that some of the people giving her hugs probably didn't get on with her. That's an issue.

Advertisement