Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6.6 kW charging

• 15-09-2016 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Trying to decide between a new Leaf with 6.6 and 3.3 kW charging, hoping you can help.

Although most charging will be done at home where time is not an issue, it is an advantage if I get stuck somewhere to be able to charge public in half the time. Rapid DC chargers are not plentiful on my routes.
    Disadvantage is it costs 900 extra + potential home installation charges

For those of you who got a new 6.6kW charge model through a Nissan dealer, did you get ESB to assess your house for home charger installation for this and how much did it all cost to install?
    Or do you just get the std home charger installed for free and then charge at home at the 3.3 rate?

Am i right in thinking 6.6 would be better for resale?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

As a potential buyer of a second hand leaf in the future, I would view 6.6kW favourably (e.g. if I needed to charge up during the day after a morning of driving around errands)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Extra's always make a car easier to sell. You might never get the money back but at least you'll sell.

Personally i skip over any leaf with only standard 3.3kw charger, i'd only purchase one if the seller was willing to make a big cut in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TBi wrote: »
    Extra's always make a car easier to sell. You might never get the money back but at least you'll sell.

You'll always sell - the question is always the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭zoom_cool

My mothers leaf is 6.6kw and it has saved her a few times when she has been out and about one hour gives you a good boost of Battery recharge on a FCP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I charge at home every night as well but I also utilise the 6.6kw charge capability about once a week when I need a topup before going out again later in the day. It is useful but very much depends on your usage profile.

As already said, you wont see that €900 back but it will make the car easier to sell if standing alongside a 3.3kw car and EV's are not going to be easy to sell so every extra helps to make your car stand out.

On the EVSE side of things, ESB wont install a 6.6kw capable EVSE for you... unless they have changed their position on that. If you have a 3.3kw EVSE then the 6.6kw car wont be much use to you unless you plan on using alot of on street chargers.... again down to your usage profile.

You might be able to negotiate with the installer to upgrade the EVSE to 6.6kw.... probably depends on who you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Can't speak for the home installation issues as I bought second hand and my friend is a spark.

But for charging, I would definitely recommend the extra cost for the 6.6 charger.

If I'm up the town with my wife for 2 hours, plugging in with a 3.3 would barely make a dent. But with the 6.6 I'll add about 30-35% in an hour. So unless I'm running on sparks when I arrive, I'll be full when I leave.

There is a charger near my gym so on most Monday or Thursday nights I can again get about 50% added in the hour and a bit that I'm there.

And tonight, we have a run to do after work so I'll get home at 6, plug in at 30% and be back to nearly 80% by the time my wife leaves at half 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

I got a 24kw new Leaf with the 6.6 charger at the start of the year and never needed the 6.6 charger, yes I did use it about 3 times in 15,000km but only because a charging point was near by so I just plugged in for the free electric. It I had my time back a granny cable would have been more useful when visiting friends & family overnight or spend the money on a 30K (30K was an extra 2k at the time). I'm on PCP so resale value doesn't really matter.

It really depends on usage, if you need to use the pubic charging points on a regular basis, then yes worth getting. If you'll rarely need it then I would not be rushing out to get one. I would not be spending 900 (+ interest if getting a loan) to make the car more attractive for the next buyer down the road. If your Leaf in 5yrs is worth 5k (without the 6.6 charger) will that same car be worth 5.9k (with 6.6 charger). I doubt it. You could take the reverse of peoples argument i.e. if most people are buying the Leaf with the 6.6 charger and you go for the 3.3, then you can afford to sell your car 1k below most others and lets face it there will always be some one in the market for a run around for a student/granny/second car and probably won't car about the 6.6 charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I wouldn't touch the 3Kw charger at this stage. On night rate the 3Kw charger uses most of the night rate time to charge up ,and it meant if one pf us was not till 1-2am ( it happens to one of us every week) , the car would not be recharged fully on the 3Kw.

Equally it makes far better use of the SCPs , charging at twice the rate

steelboots wrote: »
    If I had my time back a granny cable would have been more useful when visiting friends & family overnight...

It should come with every car.
    I would not be spending 900 (+ interest if getting a loan) to make the car more attractive for the next buyer down the road. If your Leaf in 5yrs is worth 5k (without the 6.6 charger) will that same car be worth 5.9k (with 6.6 charger). I doubt it.

I dont think anyone suggested you would get your money back on resale. It just makes the car more sellable when it is sitting alongside a whole load of other cars with 3.3kw chargers. You wont get the €900 back.

It is really down to usage profile. If you think you will do close to 100km's on a regular basis then you should get the 6.6kw charger, imo.

It should come with every car.

naw , they are of very limited use

• Advertisement

I've only used my granny cable 3 times in 18 months.

Only once would I have been stuck without it. The other times I was just thieving free electricity and saving myself a trip to the front before home.

BoatMad wrote: »
    naw , they are of very limited use
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've only used my granny cable 3 times in 18 months.

Only once would I have been stuck without it. The other times I was just thieving free electricity and saving myself a trip to the front before home.

Its just a cable. It should come with the car and not cost several hundred to purchase afterwards. They provide it in the UK.

Just because neither of you dont find it useful doesnt mean it isnt! :)

Like the 6.6 vs 3.3 debate... its down to usage profile.
    Some examples.... I used it daily for a few months while waiting for my EVSE to be installed. I used it daily for a week while I was waiting for an EVSE part to arrive so its a good backup at home. Its useful if you are travelling to a relative overnight that doesnt have a charger.

Yes, its limited but its flexibility and as I said, its just a cable. It should be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

McSmithy Its all down to usage profile and your never get a consensus here, and theres nothing wrong with that. But its important to future proof, if you think you may move house/job in the life time of the car then just be sure you cover yourself, as the 6.6 charge cannot be fitted at a later stage, same with the 30KW battery. If your financing a car then the 900 in reality is costing 1100 + depending on finance. That's equivalent to ~10 years road tax or ~100,000 Kms worth of eletric (depending on driving style & unit rate) so I don't think its a no brainier to go for.

In 4 years when my cars PCP is up, I don;t think a 3.3 vs 6.6 charger will make much of a difference when there will be 40..60KW Leafs on the market.... just saying :)

KCross wrote: »
    Its just a cable. It should come with the car and not cost several hundred to purchase afterwards. They provide it in the UK.

correct me if Im wrong , but they didnt include a type 1 cable in the UK

a charge cable that has around 2Kw power ability is limited by definition and increasing so as EVs get bigger batteries ( and themselves get bigger )

Like the 6.6 vs 3.3 debate... its down to usage profile.

no technically a bigger charger is always better, the issue boils down to cost benefits analysis

Some examples.... I used it daily for a few months while waiting for my EVSE to be installed. I used it daily for a week while I was waiting for an EVSE part to arrive so its a good backup at home. Its useful if you are travelling to a relative overnight that doesnt have a charger.

Yes I not saying its not occasionally useful, but its an additional accessory that just increases the retail cost of the car if bundled
    Yes, its limited but its flexibility and as I said, its just a cable. It should be provided.

all it does , in that case is increase the retail cost of the car to all users to provide a facility a few users find attractive , thats not a good idea . There are many things Id add to the Leaf as standard, before Id include a granny cable

correct me if Im wrong , but they didnt include a type 1 cable in the UK

They did on the 6.6kw Leaf's. You get both cables.

a charge cable that has around 2Kw power ability is limited by definition and increasing so as EVs get bigger batteries ( and themselves get bigger )

No argument there. It it limited in its power but usable.... obviously since thats what alot of UK users use.
    It allowed me to charge to 100% every night when I had no other options. It was a necessity in the examples I gave.

no technically a bigger charger is always better, the issue boils down to cost benefits analysis

You love your cost benefit analysis! :)
    It hard to put a value on some benefits. Its subjective in most cases and obviously you dont value this benefit so its worth zero to you. Not the same for everyone.

Yes I not saying its not occasionally useful, but its an additional accessory that just increases the retail cost of the car if bundled

True. But the cost of this cable isnt/shouldnt be much. Its a ridiculous price to buy from Nissan(€500+?) but obviously doesnt cost them that much to produce since they bundle it with the car in the UK. Adding €100(their cost?) to a car that costs ~€25k wouldnt even be noticed or else just provide it as an optional extra at a reasonable price.

all it does , in that case is increase the retail cost of the car to all users to provide a facility a few users find attractive , thats not a good idea . There are many things Id add to the Leaf as standard, before Id include a granny cable

Would you have noticed if the price of your new car had gone up by €100. I dont think you would.... by making it a ridiculous price they shut out the users who do find it useful.
    Your argument could be used for everything in the car really. I could say, I dont like a,b,c in the car.... make those optional and reduce the price! However, a cable that allows you to charge the car when you are stuck is not a "nice to have" feature. Its a necessity. I'm just arguing it should be included, or at the very least an affordable optional extra.... its neither, except in the UK.

You're on a bit of a roll today BoatMad! :)

We're hijacking this thread!

In 4 years when my cars PCP is up, I don;t think a 3.3 vs 6.6 charger will make much of a difference when there will be 40..60KW Leafs on the market.... just saying :)

I dont get this point?
    What difference does 40..60kw Leafs make in 4yrs time?

The question is whether 6.6 is useful/required/worth-it/etc when you are using the car. The new cars that come out in the next few years wont affect how he uses the car today.

If he doesnt need 6.6 then dont pay for it. If he needs it(which is difficult to answer/quantify since he doesnt have it yet) based on his usage then he should get it. 60kwh leaf's in 3yrs time doesnt matter.

I didn't say it wasn't useful?

I just said that I haven't used it much, although one of the occasions I did I was otherwise stuck.

It's like this, I don't use public chargers often but when I do the the 6.6 Kw charger has saved me countless trips to fast chargers.

Come back to the car and I either have enough charge to get to the next destination or it greatly reduces the need to fast charge, fast charging means you have to wait, and if someone is charging potentially wait 30-40 mils before you even get to plug in
    Remember , if a fast charge point is down then the 6.6 kw charger can mean the difference between getting home or not.

I don't have 6.6 Kw charging at home yet , I am moving house at the end of November, early December and I will be upgrading to 6.6 Kw, a fair few times I've come home and wished I could go back out again much faster.

There are times you need to top up as fast as possible on the motorway etc and this will not change but when in town or not in such a rush then AC is king, all that time saved waiting at fast chargers................... + it frees up fast chargers.

so do I think it's worth it ? oh hell yes, absolutely. I'd never have an EV with 3.3 Kw charging.

Dealers import mainly the 3.3 Kw Leaf to keep list prices as low as possible and encourage fast charging......and they even convince people not to buy the 6.6 kw in case they go somewhere else that does have a 6.6 Kw.

If you can't spend 900 euro's when paying for a car then don't get a new car, seriously. I'm not being mean but 900 euro's + interest is only 26 Euro's PM over 3 years PCP.

Not wanting to spend the money because you don't feel the need for it is a completely different matter.......

It's like this, I don't use public chargers often but when I do the the 6.6 Kw charger has saved me countless trips to fast chargers.

Come back to the car and I either have enough charge to get to the next destination or it greatly reduces the need to fast charge, fast charging means you have to wait, and if someone is charging potentially wait 30-40 mils before you even get to plug in
    Remember , if a fast charge point is down then the 6.6 kw charger can mean the difference between getting home or not.

I don't have 6.6 Kw charging at home yet , I am moving house at the end of November, early December and I will be upgrading to 6.6 Kw, a fair few times I've come home and wished I could go back out again much faster.

There are times you need to top up as fast as possible on the motorway etc and this will not change but when in town or not in such a rush then AC is king, all that time saved waiting at fast chargers................... + it frees up fast chargers.

so do I think it's worth it ? oh hell yes, absolutely. I'd never have an EV with 3.3 Kw charging.

Dealers import mainly the 3.3 Kw Leaf to keep list prices as low as possible and encourage fast charging......and they even convince people not to buy the 6.6 kw in case they go somewhere else that does have a 6.6 Kw.

If you can't spend 900 euro's when paying for a car then don't get a new car, seriously. I'm not being mean but 900 euro's + interest is only 26 Euro's PM over 3 years PCP.

Not wanting to spend the money because you don't feel the need for it is a completely different matter.......

I can't say that either of the dealers pushed me one way or the other on the charger size. Both just quoted the option and left it up to me.

Looking at the Nissan Ireland stock position on the computer showed quite a few 6k6 charger versions.

Maybe there are a lot more 6.6 Kw imports now, but there weren't, and I got several PM's from people telling me they were basically told it's the 3.3 Kw or nothing and that the dealers told them the fast chargers are faster and free ! Barlo Nissan couldn't get into their heads the advantages of faster AC and that when you have to live with the car you realise how useful it is. They don't have to live with the leaf because they don't drive it as their main car and have a DC charger on site, well as I told them, no EV owner has that luxury of having a DC charger at home.

I basically told Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny that it't either the 6.6 Kw or I'll find somewhere that will have one.

I would hope Nissan have even faster 3 phase AC as standard for Leaf II especially with a larger battery. BMW have 11 Kw for the 33 kwh I3, it's a step in the right direction at least. That's nearly twice as fast as the 6.6 Kw.

When you look at the estimated charge times for the Leaf 3.3 KW V 6.6 Kw there is actually only 1 - 1.5 hrs in the difference to 100% but to 90-95% it's twice as fast. The balancing at the end takes a long time depending on how out of balance the cells are.

• Advertisement

When you look at the estimated charge times for the Leaf 3.3 KW V 6.6 Kw there is actually only 1 - 1.5 hrs in the difference to 100% but to 90-95% it's twice as fast. The balancing at the end takes a long time depending on how out of balance the cells are.

Can you explain that a bit more. I thought it was 4hrs vs 8hrs. Are you saying the balancing at the end is longer on a 3.3kw leaf? I wouldn't have thought balancing changed between 3.3kw and 6.6kw as its drawing less than 3kw at that stage of the cycle anyway.

Can you elaborate please?

Can you explain that a bit more. I thought it was 4hrs vs 8hrs. Are you saying the balancing at the end is longer on a 3.3kw leaf? I wouldn't have thought balancing changed between 3.3kw and 6.6kw as its drawing less than 3kw at that stage of the cycle anyway.

Can you elaborate please?

What I mean is if you look at the estimate time to charge on the 6.6 Kw leaf it will give you an estimated time to 80 or 100% whatever you set in the timer, for charging at 3.3 or 6.6 kw.

For 100% charge the difference between the 3.3 kw and 6.6 Kw is about 1 hr 30 mins due to the time to balance the cells, it's not longer on any leaf.

"however"

The 0-95% in the 6.6 Kw will take half the time, the next 5% or so maybe even less, takes time to balance, you'll notice that even at 100% charge the last light on the dash can flash for a long time but still show 100% so the estimate time to 100% charge is including balancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

OP: Firstly, are you buying new outright? If you are then you have more money than sense. New ICE cars depreciate on average 20% once you drive them off the forecourt. New EV's depreciate much faster as it's a technology that's in constant transition right now.

You'd be mad to buy brand new. PCP - it's debatable - but certainly better than buying NEW outright. It all depends on your particular circumstances and usage pattern as to whats best.

18 months will see these cars depreciate massively. I'm just after buying a 141 Leaf for €9350 (that's the landed price - including ALL costs in going over there and collecting and bringing back, ferry, flight, etc). I insisted on looking ONLY for a 6.6kW on-board charger. The dealer didn't even know that it had this feature.

I use the local public charger (5 minutes walk - and NEVER used by anyone! - never seen anyone else use it - and locals have commented the same). I have a chargebump sticker on the car i.e. if someone needs me to move it, I'll have it moved in 10 minutes.

Work were supposed to have installed SCP's but they're not active yet. I'm not a city dweller and do a long rural commute. I use a Nissan dealers FCP for a small top up during work hours (13 minutes each day).

I guess I have not been in a situation whereby 6.6kW really saved me time just yet - but I know that it will - and that (for a 2nd hand), it will definitely pay its way some day soon. I wouldn't look at a car without it - nor would I look at a gen 1 leaf.

I had irish dealers saying it wasn't such a big deal (the best they could do was 3kW with same mileage/spec for €3K more expensive!).

I got a 30 amp home charger when i collected the car in the UK (they're expensive but if you keep your eyes open and search the net, you can find some cheap 2nd hand units) - had it installed by a sparks who's a friend of the family for buttons - but have not as yet even used it once. It's nice to have it in place but I'll make full use of free charging whilst its available.

Go onto autotrader and buy a fresh uk import - you'd be foolish to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I made the mistake to listen to the sales man and did not buy the 6.6kw option. Now after nearly 40000km I am 100% sure it would have saved me A LOT of nerves. Next car would have it for definite.

Hmmm, Irish Leaf's don't depreciate much more than the equivalent diesel (the equivalent). Can't compare to U.K because a lot of cars are loosing value there due to the flood of leases.

OP: Firstly, are you buying new outright? If you are then you have more money than sense. New ICE cars depreciate on average 20% once you drive them off the forecourt. New EV's depreciate much faster as it's a technology that's in constant transition right now.

You'd be mad to buy brand new. PCP - it's debatable - but certainly better than buying NEW outright. It all depends on your particular circumstances and usage pattern as to whats best.

What difference does it make? The car depreciates exactly the same, regardless if it is bought with cash, HP or PCP...

The U.K. Import thing is a time and place thing , sterling is low and there is a glut of 2nd hand leafs. It's not a stable situation. Brexit will also most likely put an end to such imports anyway.

grogi wrote: »
    What difference does it make? The car depreciates exactly the same, regardless if it is bought with cash, HP or PCP...
    I'm not an enthusiast of any form of car financing - PCP - or otherwise. However, my understanding is that you have the option of handing the car back without paying the final balloon payment to own the car after an agreed period.

Yes, of course there's a cost of finance involved - but perhaps (and I don't know as I don't believe generally in going the financing route) if there's extreme depreciation happening, then if you're on pcp, you might be able to extract yourself from that scenario without having to deal with it.

The U.K. Import thing is a time and place thing , sterling is low and there is a glut of 2nd hand leafs. It's not a stable situation. Brexit will also most likely put an end to such imports anyway.
    I agreed to buy my car before the brexit referendum - and there was still a significant difference. You can be sure that by and large, irish pricing will always be over and above UK pricing in the 2nd hand motor trade - it's just a matter of how much in the difference.

In my case, there was a saving of €3k (almost comparing like with like- but local dealers option DIDNT have 6.6kW charging - so more than €3k of a saving).

• Advertisement

I agreed to buy my car before the brexit referendum - and there was still a significant difference. You can be sure that by and large, irish pricing will always be over and above UK pricing in the 2nd hand motor trade - it's just a matter of how much in the difference.

In my case, there was a saving of €3k (almost comparing like with like- but local dealers option DIDNT have 6.6kW charging - so more than €3k of a saving).

I had a thought. Can you change the main speedo to Km. if not the car is not legal on Irish roads. I know you can't change the km leaf to miles ( you can on the sat nav but not the main display )

I had a thought. Can you change the main speedo to Km. if not the car is not legal on Irish roads. I know you can't change the km leaf to miles ( you can on the sat nav but not the main display )
    Yes, can be changed from KM to miles and vice versa.

Yes, can be changed from KM to miles and vice versa.

Must be only possible on uk cars.

I'm not an enthusiast of any form of car financing - PCP - or otherwise. However, my understanding is that you have the option of handing the car back without paying the final balloon payment to own the car after an agreed period.

Yes, of course there's a cost of finance involved - but perhaps (and I don't know as I don't believe generally in going the financing route) if there's extreme depreciation happening, then if you're on pcp, you might be able to extract yourself from that scenario without having to deal with it.

I'm not a fan of spending large sums of cash on a car, I pay as I drive even if it's costing me more in Interest to pay for it PM. I paid petrol/diesel per month with 70% tax to the Government.

I pay 458 PM, diesel would cost me about 200 pm, cheap car, no maintenance apart from yearly inspections that you still have to pay for.

I'd probably loose more if I bought the car outright, no way I'm going to spend that much in cash !

I'd rather keep it for emergencies or something to do with the house etc.

I pay as I drive even if it's costing me more in Interest to pay for it PM. I paid petrol/diesel per month with 70% tax to the Government....I'd probably loose more if I bought the car outright, no way I'm going to spend that much in cash !
    I'd rather keep it for emergencies or something to do with the house etc.
    Everybody has their own specific set of circumstances. As a general rule, financing comes with a cost - and if you can get ahead of it, then you save.
    That said, I appreciate that individual circumstances come into play - like the opportunity cost of not being able to make savings on fuel if only PCP enables that for you.
    As regards loosing more if you bought the car outright, are you not saying that you do see greater depreciation in EV's then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 McSmithy

Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm settled on the 6.6kW.

• Advertisement

Everybody has their own specific set of circumstances. As a general rule, financing comes with a cost - and if you can get ahead of it, then you save.
    That said, I appreciate that individual circumstances come into play - like the opportunity cost of not being able to make savings on fuel if only PCP enables that for you.

The point I make is that there are far better things to keep cash for like house repairs, maintenance , rainy day etc.

If someone looses their job for instance then that's a lot of cash spent on a car.

As regards loosing more if you bought the car outright, are you not saying that you do see greater depreciation in EV's then?

No I'm not saying that, I'm saying that I have a guaranteed value in the car at the end, I don't care if car is worthless on PCP or any other car for that matter, It's worth a certain amount, the GFMV. Personally I'd be more worried today about buying diesel, there is a lot of uncertainly at the moment, all it takes is for tax increases to the point it drives people back to petrol then diesel value will plummet. Or car manufacturers to make diesels more expensive which is inevitable.

The point I make is that there are far better things to keep cash for like house repairs, maintenance , rainy day etc. If someone looses their job for instance then that's a lot of cash spent on a car.
    Whatever works for you. In my case, the only financing I've ever availed of is my mortgage - and I wouldn't touch any form of financing otherwise. There's a significant cost element to financing.
    As regards becoming unemployed, my view is that I'd like to have as little financial obligations as possible in that event i.e. no monthly payments, etc.

Whatever works for you. In my case, the only financing I've ever availed of is my mortgage - and I wouldn't touch any form of financing otherwise. There's a significant cost element to financing.
    As regards becoming unemployed, my view is that I'd like to have as little financial obligations as possible in that event i.e. no monthly payments, etc.

You can hand the car back, and pay the balance can't get your cash back , far better than having to pay back full whack. So there'll be a blip on your credit rating for a few years....

Anyway I'm delighted if you can buy a new car for cash....

With the current cost of financing a Leaf for instance at 4.5 % I think I'd take the hit over dumping a lot more cash on a deposit.

If you were to get pcp on a leaf now it would be 4.5% interest.

Anyway I'm delighted if you can buy a new car for cash....
    With the current cost of financing a Leaf for instance at 4.5 % I think I'd take the hit over dumping a lot more cash on a deposit.

If you were to get pcp on a leaf now it would be 4.5% interest.
    I didnt and wouldnt buy a new car - I bought a 2 year old car for a fraction of its original cost.
    Financing costs money - no matter what way the banks or dealerships dress it up. It's not today or yesterday, but a long number of years ago, I sold cars on 100% commission - getting paid more on the finance than for the actual sale of the car.

I didnt and wouldnt buy a new car - I bought a 2 year old car for a fraction of its original cost.
    Financing costs money - no matter what way the banks or dealerships dress it up. It's not today or yesterday, but a long number of years ago, I sold cars on 100% commission - getting paid more on the finance than for the actual sale of the car.

Yeah, buying 2nd hand is always going to save money but if people didn't buy new there'd be no 2nd hand cars.

If I had to pay for petrol or diesel then I'd be paying a lot more PM and on that basis I'd never buy new.

• Advertisement

Look it depends.

Buying a 2nd car when there are good deals on new ones also doesn't make sense either.

Buying a wasting asset for cash is generally a bad idea in general.

Yeah, buying 2nd hand is always going to save money but if people didn't buy new there'd be no 2nd hand cars.
    Agree completely.
    If I had to pay for petrol or diesel then I'd be paying a lot more PM and on that basis I'd never buy new.
    Again, I agree...but...there's no connection between the two points. You've taken the decision to put your fuel savings towards buying a new car instead - nothing wrong with that if that's what suits you best. However, the fuel savings are there whether new or used.
    Buying a 2nd car when there are good deals on new ones also doesn't make sense either. Buying a wasting asset for cash is generally a bad idea in general.
    I think we can agree that regardless of the type of car, they've always been and most likely always will be a wildly depreciating asset.
    Are the rates of depreciation even from year 1 through to year X (X being end of life) - I don't think so...and/or the sums of that annual depreciation may be deemed to be significant or otherwise (entirely subjective as regards the owner and how flush or otherwise they are OR how much value an individual places on a new car as opposed to used. There's no one size fits all - so yes, it does depend).
    As regards buying a 2nd hand as opposed to paying 4-5% interest on it -well if you have the capital sum on deposit (currently at 0%), then that needs to be factored into the decision.

McSmithy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm settled on the 6.6kW.

Excellent, best of luck, you won't regret I assure you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Today was a fine example of the benefits of 6.6kW charger. I was in Enniskillen today, the only Rapid Charger was down. Thank you 6.6 ❤️❤️❤️

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Today was a fine example of the benefits of 6.6kW charger. I was in Enniskillen today, the only Rapid Charger was down. Thank you 6.6 ❤️❤️❤️

Now just imagine Zoe owners with 22/44 Kw AC charging !

Shame the Zoe is for me, too small and slow. Not a bad car at all though and much better inside since they changed that dreadful white shiny dash to a much darker grey.

It's a shame zoe doesn't sell better in Ireland. It can even use a lot of the fast chargers at the same time as someone is using the DC side. Brilliant.

We need more powerful AC chargers, we have a fantastic AC network but is sadly getting more and more neglected as the ESB use the pitiful funds available to keep the DC network ticking over. I just hope they don't abandon it altogether if they ever do get more funding and I hope Leaf II and future electrics has more powerful AC charging.

It's a shame zoe doesn't sell better in Ireland. It can even use a lot of the fast chargers at the same time as someone is using the DC side. Brilliant.

It doesn't sell because of the stupid not always relevant battery rental scheme...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Now just imagine Zoe owners with 22/44 Kw AC charging !

Shame the Zoe is for me, too small and slow. Not a bad car at all though and much better inside since they changed that dreadful white shiny dash to a much darker grey.

We need more powerful AC chargers, we have a fantastic AC network but is sadly getting more and more neglected as the ESB use the pitiful funds available to keep the DC network ticking over. I just hope they don't abandon it altogether if they ever do get more funding and I hope Leaf II and future electrics has more powerful AC charging.

Yea I was discussing it with my passenger regarding the Zoe. It would make sense if more cars adopted a more powerful AC on top of the Rapid.
    I heard to stories of the Zoe tripping these AC posts. Is it still the case?

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Yea I was discussing it with my passenger regarding the Zoe. It would make sense if more cars adopted a more powerful AC on top of the Rapid.
    I heard to stories of the Zoe tripping these AC posts. Is it still the case?

With increasing range DC is the most way forward for public charging. Slow charging becomes irrelevant with high range.

Large AC chargers in the car are expensive heavy devices that are no use when the car is being used. It really makes no sense to carry charging equipment around with you and even less sense as we head towards the 100 kWh battery

grogi wrote: »
    It doesn't sell because of the stupid not always relevant battery rental scheme...

To be honest if your leasing the whole car I don't see the issue with the battery lease, but it should be optional.

It's actually not a bad deal for people doing little mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

With increasing range DC is the most way forward for public charging. Slow charging becomes irrelevant with high range.

Large AC chargers in the car are expensive heavy devices that are no use when the car is being used. It really makes no sense to carry charging equipment around with you and even less sense as we head towards the 100 kWh battery

I agree. It makes much more sense to have the lighter weight DC charger in the car and keep the AC-DC conversion in the wall box/street charger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement