Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggins/Froome Asthma

Options
  • 15-09-2016 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Fancy Bears have released a number of TUE details on Froome and Wiggins over night.

At one point Wiggins asthma was so bad that he was on three separate medications twice a day... makes his achievements all the more impressive.

Froome seems to have been luckier, only needing one.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The number of inhalers you may be using isn't related to their strengths or even exactly what purpose they are for.

It is odd that they released Wiggins and Froome data, along with a couple of other people that no one has ever heard of. They must be rubbish hackers and only got a tiny bit of data, or they are rubbish at the propaganda and think that details of Joe Bloggs who plays rugby 7s will be of interest to anyone. Sure there are TUE for much more sports people on the scale of famous between Wiggins and Joe Bloggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

There are a lot of references in this story to confidentiality of medical records. I always had the impression TUEs were a matter of public record in cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

robinph wrote: »
    It is odd that they released Wiggins and Froome data, along with a couple of other people that no one has ever heard of. They must be rubbish hackers and only got a tiny bit of data, or they are rubbish at the propaganda and think that details of Joe Bloggs who plays rugby 7s will be of interest to anyone. Sure there are TUE for much more sports people on the scale of famous between Wiggins and Joe Bloggs.

I would assume they have a full set of data, I think the bigger job for them would be grouping/organising it all. As for the the details released so far, British names are all pretty high profile ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Fancy Bears would be a good name for a cafe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mloc123 wrote: »
    I would assume they have a full set of data, I think the bigger job for them would be grouping/organising it all. As for the the details released so far, British names are all pretty high profile ones?

Other than Wiggins and Froome they are nobody that any who isn't mad into that particular sport will have ever heard of.

• Advertisement

Other than Wiggins and Froome they are nobody that any who isn't mad into that particular sport will have ever heard of.

Kinda like Froome and Wiggins are to anyone that doesn't care about cycling then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

salbutamol doesn't even require a TUE anymore does it? The other inhaler for wiggins is the one that Yates got done for isn't it? I was always a skeptic on the levels of exercise induced asthma, until being diagnosed! I can't say I notice any performance improvement, except not needing so many bushman blows...

I think we already knew the Froome ones from Romandie and the Dauphine didn't we? Those are more eyebrow raising for me than asthma medication that has limited (if any, hence some of them coming off the banned list) performance enhancing for those not affected by asthma or allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

So is Asthma the new in thing for cyclists. Where can i get me some of this? :)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kinda like Froome and Wiggins are to anyone that doesn't care about cycling then? :)

Nope, Wiggins will be known by majority of people who watch any sport in the UK and also amongst a lot of those who don't watch any sport, Froome not as much but he does still get a bit of coverage on headline news when winning that ride around Paris each year. Nowhere near the same as Wiggins profile though. Wiggins got a massive amount of coverage in the general olympimania from London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Yeah "asthma"

• Advertisement

It's not new, and it's not just for cyclists. Exercise induced asthma is a "thing" across all professional sports.

Nope, Wiggins will be known by majority of people who watch any sport in the UK and also amongst a lot of those who don't watch any sport, Froome not as much but he does still get a bit of coverage on headline news when winning that ride around Paris each year. Nowhere near the same as Wiggins profile though. Wiggins got a massive amount of coverage in the general olympimania from London.

I would bet if I asked any of my co-workers beside me here... they are as likely to know who Charley Hull is as Wiggins. Anyway, that is off point... I suspect in the coming weeks there will be more and more data leaked on the athletes in between.

Team GB do have a surprisingly high number of cyclists suffering from Asthma for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Asthma is the thing for almost all elite athletes, if you don't have it, the chances of you being a champ are greatly reduced....

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

A lot of Irish rugby players used to have asthma, one even served a ban for not doing the paperwork properly. Not sure if it's as prevalent these days.

It's amazing how many professional athletes seem to suffer from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Good damn it I knew there was a reason I'm not a pro..... No Asthma!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

be mroe interesting to see how many of the asthma sufferers had it from birth or developed as a child.

as opposed to developing symptoms later in life, as can happen when you come off of some medicines which my improve performance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Here ?

HM0001159.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

This is one I can identify with somewhat having used various Asthma medications for the guts of 30 years at this stage. Without it I wouldn't be up to much exercise wise but with it I can go for 100km+ cycles without a bother. I didn't have to use my inhaler on tbe GDBR for instance but used it maybe three times earlier in the year when doing a sportive that brought us up the sally and Wicklow gaps. All sorts of things determine how often im using my inhaler but the thing that makes the biggest difference to me is the more exercise i do the less i need it.

But that's me and everyone who has asthma is affected differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

mossym wrote: »
    as opposed to developing symptoms later in life, as can happen when you come off of some medicines which my improve performance

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely if its ok to use these medications and they don't give you an advantage, just take them off the banned list?

Amazing the number of professional athletes who have these conditions. Makes you wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

This is one I can identify with somewhat having used various Asthma medications for the guts of 30 years at this stage. Without it I wouldn't be up to much exercise wise but with it I can go for 100km+ cycles without a bother. I didn't have to use my inhaler on tbe GDBR for instance but used it maybe three times earlier in the year when doing a sportive that brought us up the sally and Wicklow gaps. All sorts of things determine how often im using my inhaler but the thing that makes the biggest difference to me is the more exercise i do the less i need it.

But that's me and everyone who has asthma is affected differently.

But you're not using it to compete at the very highest level of sport, just for everyday life.

I don't know why someone who has asthma should be able to take a drug so they can compete at world level but I can't take a drug to make my puny legs stronger so I can compete at a world level. In fairness even if I did dope myself to the gills I still wouldn't be at a world level!

Their reason is unfortunately their lungs are ****e, my issue are my legs are ****e. Why should one be deemed tough luck and the other here you go take some drugs.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Amazing the number of professional athletes who have these conditions. Makes you wonder.

Not really, just that they are more closely monitored regarding their health and care more than the general population if they get out of breath walking up the stairs, or if they can't breath properly during pollen season etc.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely if its ok to use these medications and they don't give you an advantage, just take them off the banned list?

Salbutamol for the levels in Wiggins TUE's on that hack is off the banned list and doesn't need a TUE. I think there's an expectation the other inhaler is going to be taken off too.

My own experience was that I was only diagnosed in my late 30's with exercise induced asthma. Now that's partly because I wasn't fit/ doing any exercise up until then really! I put the symptoms down to hayfever, until they persisted beyond hayfever season and were present when the pollen count was low too. As it turns out, it does really help during peak pollen season as well as during exercise.

My doctor just went trial and error on the dosage (upping it until effective), but if you're willing to pay the money (or a pro) there are tests that can be done to find the specific dose required.

Link?

just google corticosteroids and specifically what happens if you stop using them

just google corticosteroids and specifically what happens if you stop using them

It would be handier if you post up a good link rather than me wading through a tonne of Google search results, thanks :)

it would be handy if someone else cleaned my bike for me this evening but unfortunately i'll have to do that for myself too...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Crocked wrote: »
    But you're not using it to compete at the very highest level of sport, just for everyday life.

I don't know why someone who has asthma should be able to take a drug so they can compete at world level but I can't take a drug to make my puny legs stronger so I can compete at a world level. In fairness even if I did dope myself to the gills I still wouldn't be at a world level!

Their reason is unfortunately their lungs are ****e, my issue are my legs are ****e. Why should one be deemed tough luck and the other here you go take some drugs.

I'm pretty agnostic as to whether it's right or wrong. Merely saying I can relate to it.

it would be handy if someone else cleaned my bike for me this evening but unfortunately i'll have to do that for myself too...

You had made an interesting statement, and I was interested in reading more about it. I asked for a link, but you're not arsed. Fair enough so :)

You had made an interesting statement, and I was interested in reading more about it. I asked for a link, but you're not arsed. Fair enough so :)

i don't have a single link that points a smoking gun, which is what you seem to be looking for. i follow several people on twitter and other places who i would consider well versed in the area and they have commented on it, and i've seen a few scientific papers on it that they have linked which back up the theory. most or at least some of those papers will show up if you google it, which i've already suggested, and if you find it interesting enough to want to read about it then the next step seems simple enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Which Twitter accounts?

Advertisement