Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggins/Froome Asthma

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

This is Armstrong 2.0
    If Walsh wAsnt such a rent boy he'd have figured this out ages ago. Of course he was blinded by the money and the destruction his last quest brought to him and his family. No point being a pariah twice David let someone else do the dirty work. At least kimmGe had a set of balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

This is Armstrong 2.0
    If Walsh wAsnt such a rent boy he'd have figured this out ages ago. Of course he was blinded by the money and the destruction his last quest brought to him and his family. No point being a pariah twice David let someone else do the dirty work. At least kimmGe had a set of balls.

This post is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You lost me at Mirror.
    OK, here's the same story from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/27/chris-froome-urgent-action-tues-cycling-bradley-wiggins

cjonesy1 wrote: »

Keep the bitter to yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cjonesy1 wrote: »

MOD VOICE: Try and make a point / contribution to the discussion. This is not AH. Random statements that are nonsense, do not contribute or are just plain inflammatory are not welcome. Explain why the post was nonsense or just sit back and read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Read it again. It's pretty clear why it's nonsense. You should censor yourself if you're going down that path.

Posted at 4:50. You're taking your "job" way too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

So if I happen to have asthma myself can I get this cough cough (sorry the asthma you see) injection myself? Could do with losing a few kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

So if I happen to have asthma myself can I get this cough cough (sorry the asthma you see) injection myself? Could do with losing a few kg.

As long as you have no idea of its performance enhancing properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You can also fit a motor to your bike, it is simply unfair that these guys can put out 400w on a climb and I'm stuck on 150.

it's not cheating, it is simply leveling the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You can also fit a motor to your bike, it is simply unfair that these guys can put out 400w on a climb and I'm stuck on 150.

Levelling the very steep playing field in this case :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Helps you run and fall onto a steep incline, rather than running into a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

It's not a level field I need, its a downhill one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Lumen wrote: »
    This thread is all kinds of cranky.

Anyway, awk-ward...

Chris Froome offers his view on the Sir Bradley Wiggins' use of TUEs and the system as a whole
    Froome said the TUE system "urgently" needed reform, which is the opposite of what his Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford said
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling/chris-froome-offers-view-sir-8922509

Taken at face value Froome is saying just the right thing. Fair play to him.

As Nico says in the Kimmage interview it is wrong that lads regularly gets sore knees requiring a TUE 3 days before a target race.

Brailsford couldn't win here, as the politicians say when you are explaining/defending you are losing. He has to defend Wiggins, Brailsford was the man in charge at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Very good follow-up piece by Shane Stokes at Cycling Tips. Right that this shouldn't simply be a media s.it-storm for a week or so, and then just blow over with its stench fading away to nought.
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/calls-made-for-wada-to-examine-wiggins-tue-corticosteroid-controversy/

G1032 wrote: »

He didn't mention it in his 2012 book (written after he won the bloody tour) because of fear of making excuses? Hahaha, give me a break!
    Excuses for winning now?!!

G1032 wrote: »

The same quack approved all 3? I wonder what 'Brad' sends him at Christmas?
    Not one bit of that makes me even one iota less certain that he did this for performance gain and nothing more.
    Sue he basically admits in that article that he took it before he even had allergy symptoms in 2012. So its ok to take highly powerful, performance enhancing medication for conditions you aren't even suffering from now is it?

What a fraud he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I am actually a fan of Wiggins but I'm also a fan of the sport.. I would be interested to know has he had any Tue's for this drug before cycling indoors at track events, especially seeing as he is so successful. If he hasn't then it doesn't look as bad in my view but if he has had this drug before competing on the track then that looks terrible.

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I am actually a fan of Wiggins but I'm also a fan of the sport.. I would be interested to know has he had any Tue's for this drug before cycling indoors at track events, especially seeing as he is so successful. If he hasn't then it doesn't look as bad in my view but if he has had this drug before competing on the track then that looks terrible.

I'd think the opposite to that, at least if he had a consistent record of taking it, rather than ahead of the 3 biggest races of his road career, then it wouldn't looking so obviously like an attempt to work the system to gain an unfair advantage.
    And this drug is effective over a number of weeks, so is tailor-made for grand tours.
    Hes a bull****ting, cheating twat and he has my blood boiling.

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd think the opposite to that, at least if he had a consistent record of taking it, rather than ahead of the 3 biggest races of his road career, then it wouldn't looking so obviously like an attempt to work the system to gain an unfair advantage.
    And this drug is effective over a number of weeks, so is tailor-made for grand tours.
    Hes a bull****ting, cheating twat and he has my blood boiling.

I can see your point, but surely there's less pollen indoors at track events than across fields in sunny France.

Is there anywhere that has the exact date he was injected in 2013? I am interested to see if it's more or less than 2 weeks before the individual time trial at the Giro. I see he was injected 13 days before the ITT at the 2012 Tour De France, which he won.

All I can find is this:
    1 March Wiggins visits Hargreaves; letter to support application is dictated on that date, referring to a visit “today”. Letter seen by the Guardian with specific permission of Wiggins confirms meeting took place

10 April TUE application is filed

22 April TUE is authorised from this date; it expires on 30 April

4 May Giro d’Italia starts

• Advertisement

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I can see your point, but surely there's less pollen indoors at track events than across fields in sunny France.

Is there anywhere that has the exact date he was injected in 2013? I am interested to see if it's more or less than 2 weeks before the individual time trial at the Giro. I see he was injected 13 days before the ITT at the 2012 Tour De France, which he won.

All I can find is this:

I believe the dates are out there but I stand to be corrected.
    I am absolutely astonished anyone can defend him, not saying you are, but if anyone is it staggers me.

terrydel wrote: »
    I believe the dates are out there but I stand to be corrected.
    I am absolutely astonished anyone can defend him, not saying you are, but if anyone is it staggers me.

I'm certainly not defending him, I'm just trying to research it myself and get as much info as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Andy, do you really believe this is about pollen? I mean, c'mon. 2016. We've had how many issues in cycling over the last 30 years or so (No, I'm not saying they were clean before that - Tom Simpson - but most of us are too young to know and the records kept and systems of control would have been very amateur)

I'm losing patience with people who think this is about asthma and pollen allergies. It's that attitude that is keeping the show on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm losing patience with people who think this is about asthma and pollen allergies. It's that attitude that is keeping the show on the road.

It's pro sport, while fans keep buying the gear, bikes, TV subscriptions the show will stay on the road.

Most sponsors could care less about cheating/stepping across the line as long as the sums add up. PR and spin will fill a lot of gaps

If you want to be continually disappointed in your heroes, nothing quite like following a professional sport.

Even A3 lad got cheating on these shores. Although when it was closer to home the moral compass wasn't quite as unwavering by quite a few

Itziger wrote: »
    Andy, do you really believe this is about pollen?

No, if I did I wouldn't be questioning the dates. I'd be defending the pollen or weed season that year.

ford2600 wrote: »
    It's pro sport, while fans keep buying the gear, bikes, TV subscriptions the show will stay on the road.

Most sponsors could care less about cheating/stepping across the line as long as the sums add up. PR and spin will fill a lot of gaps

If you want to be continually disappointed in your heroes, nothing quite like following a professional sport.

Even A3 lad got cheating on these shores. Although when it was closer to home the moral compass wasn't quite as unwavering by quite a few

I'm not sure it's the same now, for example Rabobank. One of the biggest teams in the peloton and they pulled out. I don't think any of this news is good for us fans

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

When I think more about this all I recall Ian Hislops quote, if this is justice I'm a banana

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Wiggins has basically admitted he got the shots as a precaution for hay fever allergies so bad he could barely stand - at the same time his ghost writer on Mytime admits he never saw any signs of these allergies

that the UCI/Wada are complicit in this miss makes it all the worse - he or anyone else should not be competing whilst under the TUE influence - marginal gains my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

Andalucia wrote: »
    Wiggins has basically admitted he got the shots as a precaution for hay fever allergies so bad he could barely stand - at the same time his ghost writer on Mytime admits he never saw any signs of these allergies

that the UCI/Wada are complicit in this miss makes it all the worse - he or anyone else should not be competing whilst under the TUE influence - marginal gains my arse.
    Andalucia wrote: »

I had not heard of TUE's until reading Nicholas Roche's tweet alarm about a month back. I had no idea that it was thereby possible under WADA/UCI rules that these TUE's could be used to cover use of a powerful drug like corticosteroid/cortisone:

'Cortisone can improve the mental and physical abilities of athletes and are therefore considered "doping" substances.

Corticosteroids taken as tablets, through intramuscular or intravenous injection, and even rectally are prohibited (except in certain cases) for the majority of competitive athletes. Athletes benefit from certain properties of steroids including:

Increased effort and energy due to higher glucose during exercise
    Less muscle swelling and pain as cortisone has an extensive anti-inflammatory property
    Decreased sense of fatigue, increased euphoria and more energy due to changes in the athlete?s central nervous system
    Glycogen consumed during exercise is quickly replenished

It is important to note that prolonged use of cortisone leads to muscle and tendon injuries that negatively affect the physical performance of athletes.'
    From cortisone-info.com

I looked up the above just to check on David Millar's emphatic description of cortisone as the most powerful drug he had direct experience of and why other top cyclists are aghast at Wiggins taking it. This drug has some history as well, the most notorious and even sad being Bernard Thevenet taking it in the '70's, winning 2 TdF's and other races, denying any drug use before being hospitalised, with it's associated adrenal damage, then admitting everything in detail.
    I'm astonished at UCI and WADA keeping such TUE's secret from us at all. They should now disclose all they have on use of PED's under TUE.
    Everything Wiggins has said makes me more worried about the wrongness of his use of a PED. I admit I am worried for him as well, since I would prefer he was innocent and can only realistically hope that parts of his winning career can be 'saved', where it can be definitely proven he had no drug assistance. I also applaud the Fancy Bears hack, and am alarmed at how some media seem to think the revealed truth can be diminished by supposed outrage at the theft of this so-called private information from WADA, eg, Cycling Weekly and the Guardian in recent articles.

• Advertisement

Lads. Team sky have long been suspected, froome and Wiggins appeared of nowhere and seemingly crush competition with frightening force. The usual lines were haggered out about having the best sports scientists and nutritionists etc etc. Pull the other one. We have been down this road many many times and it's a very dirty one. These boys are up to their gills in it. Don't be fooled again. David Walsh needs to wake up.

Advertisement