Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggins/Froome Asthma

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

happytramp wrote: »
    Yes it is. There was nothing approaching a 'rant'.

A message to all :)

51973539.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rob's the one with the yellow jersey and black 'tash

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3838882/Sir-Bradley-Wiggins-new-drugs-storm-British-cycling-star-s-test-blunder-just-three-months-Rio-Olympics-revealed.html
    Sir Bradley Wiggins has been embroiled in a new drugs storm
    Wiggins committed a 'whereabouts failure' before the Rio Olympics
    The failure occurred just three months before Wiggins won gold in Brazil
    Wiggins committed other failures, believed to be between 2005 and 2009
    The 36-year-old previously criticised Lizzie Deignan following her three missed drugs tests ahead of the Games
    The latest news leaves Wiggins open to accusations of severe hypocrisy
    Wiggins remains a central figure in a UK Anti-Doping investigation into ‘allegations of wrongdoing in cycling’

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

The plot thickens, not good especially after his reaction to Lizzie's missed test, why not just say nothing about the LA missed test, shows he'll say anything to cover his ass, says a lot about the kind of person he his.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"committed a failure".

Quality wordsmithing by the Mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lismuse

...by The Mail.
    Good grammar is also important.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lismuse wrote: »
    ...by The Mail.
    Good grammar is also important.
    Pedantry fail. :pac:

https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-t
    the
    lc for newspapers (the Guardian), magazines (the New Statesman), pubs (the Coach and Horses), bands (the Black Eyed Peas, the Not Sensibles, the The), nicknames (the Hulk, the Red Baron), and sports grounds (the Oval).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The Guardian references this article .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france/

Always wondered why Tony Martin Geraint Thomas , JvdB & Siutsouu had such high scores

But then again Chris Horner had a low score ...riddle that

And here is an interesting article in the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/opinion/sunday/how-to-get-away-with-doping.html?_r=1

• Advertisement

Ah come on now. What I won't have is anyone questioning Chris Horner. He's perhaps the greatest legend in the history of sport.

MPFGLB wrote: »

Just to add for whoever's benefit, that's a piece by David Millar on doping, but perhaps most of all about TUEs and kenacort or whichever word is used for teh stuff Wiggins took before his grand tours with Sky.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pelevin wrote: »
    kenacort or whichever word is used for teh stuff Wiggins took before his grand tours with Sky.

That stuff does wonders....

....for my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Guardian references this article .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france/

Always wondered why Tony Martin Geraint Thomas , JvdB & Siutsouu had such high scores

But then again Chris Horner had a low score ...riddle that

Yes , and Wiggins was a 6, and Matt Lloyd was an 8 !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just read Miller's article. Very good read.
    I was taking this powerful, potentially dangerous drug as a performance enhancer, yet I was doing so within the rules — thanks to the T.U.E. loophole. My doping, for that is what it was, could not be judged illegal as long as I fulfilled all the criteria demanded by the authorities. I was within the letter of the law, even though I was cheating it. I was in the gray zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Warning: random useless story about my experiences with the corticosteroid triamcinolone...

I used to get really, really bad hayfever when I was younger (like mother-f**king really bad). As in, I'd just stay indoors during the summer as much as I could. No over-the-counter meds did anything. On two occasions I got the Kenalog injection into my buttock :D I don't know what the dosage was. The first time I was about 12, the second time I was 18.

Well holy mother of god was it effective! Literally, the next day all my hayfever symptoms were gone. Completely gone. I could have gone to the Chelsea Flower Show and I would've been grand! :pac: It had a long-lasting effect also. My hayfever disappeared for about two years each time I got the injection. Seriously powerful stuff. Pity I didn't cycle at the time :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Warning: random useless story about my experiences with the corticosteroid triamcinolone...

I used to get really, really bad hayfever when I was younger (like mother-f**king really bad). As in, I'd just stay indoors during the summer as much as I could. No over-the-counter meds did anything. On two occasions I got the Kenalog injection into my buttock :D I don't know what the dosage was. The first time I was about 12, the second time I was 18.

Well holy mother of god was it effective! Literally, the next day all my hayfever symptoms were gone. Completely gone. I could have gone to the Chelsea Flower Show and I would've been grand! :pac: It had a long-lasting effect also. My hayfever disappeared for about two years each time I got the injection. Seriously powerful stuff. Pity I didn't cycle at the time :eek:

Tell us more Bradley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

If you are unfortunate enough to suffer from mouth ulcers the only really effective treatment I've found is Kenalog in oralbase, POM here but can be got over the counter in Australia, I've two sisters over there and anytime they're coming home they bring a tube or two, magic stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Millar's article was very insightful. He goes into a lot more detail than his autobiography as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

Just seen that Brailsford strongly regrets his comments responding to Wiggins TUE furore, reckons he made it worse. Have yet to read the article but already I feel he is being harsh on himself, what else could he have done? Other than sticking his chin further out? He was not able to do as I, and others no doubt, hoped, to declare that the cortisone dosages Wiggins received were so low as to just impact debilitating symptoms and can be shown to have had no performance enhancing effects whatsoever, confirmed by the following scientific data....
    Also thanks for the heads up on NYT article by David Millar, a voice I trust precisely on account of his history and subsequent honesty. It is the most damming evidence I've read when in context of Wiggins' use of cortisone, 40ml and he could write his own ticket. Thanks also for the info from the genuine hayfever sufferer, may I presume you would not have been able to train at the highest level of physical demand as required for upcoming 3500km cycle races, including across mountain ranges, with this level of ailment? So then a dose of kenalog would be too late no matter how good it made you feel? So Kittel's apparently non PC comments are not far off the mark?
    By the way I am still gutted by this, in the context of British/Irish cycling Wiggins seemed to me 'the great white hope' if you know what I mean, a likeable type of English bloke as well. I almost detested Froome when he showed up Wiggo on certain climbs in the TdF. Now I feel pretty much the opposite.
    Also I would like to speak up for the relatively unheralded great cyclist's of this period, Nicholas Roche and many others, mainly in the peloton, paid to back up people like Wiggins. Froome one of the few exceptions, I think Horner as well, a man denigrated on account of his age, perhaps also just for being American at the wrong time?

• Advertisement

I think one of the things I dont like about Brailsford is his arrogance. He seems to come out with ludirous statements at times mostly to appease the press and to be seen to be saying the right thing. Ironically it has had the opposite effect. I say arrogance as he has proved very good as a manager and motivator but not necessarily good at everything and is hopeless at PR but that does not stop him opening his mouth with limited information at his fingertips

As for Chris Horner ...given his support of Armstrong even after LA Oprah appearance and the view of him among the peloton I am not so sure he deserves my sympathy

But I do feel for all clean riders in the peloton who never hit the limelight or earn the millions but played fair

I also reserve the right to hold my opinion of other SKY riders until I believe they are not on out of competetion corticosteroids especially for rapid weight loss ...I mean why not join MPCC ? Even if these are allowed by UCI/WADA
    Also the minimum amounts of steroids in competetion that are also allowed by WADA which may in of their sefl not prove signifficant but could be if added to out of competetion corticosteroids ( or so I am lead to beleive)

Its not that I think SKY are the only team on out of competetion stuff.... but I would be not surprised especially how some of them can lose weight fast and maintain power ... Although not illegal its is questionable

Remember that like EPO was not effective for everyone benefits of steroids may not be the same for everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

godtabh wrote: »
    Millar's article was very insightful. He goes into a lot more detail than his autobiography as far as I can remember.

His autobiography read a bit like "woe is me, I shouldn't have done this, but I I did and I'm sorry I did it and I glad I was caught"

He takes some responsibility, some but shifts an awful lot of blame elsewhere and then comes out with some serious two faced stuff since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

II also reserve the right to hold my opinion of other SKY riders until I believe they are not on out of competetion corticosteroids especially for rapid weight loss ...I mean why not join MPCC ? Even if these are allowed by UCI/WADA
    The reason they gave for not joining MPCC, laughably given what we now know, is that their own system was even more rigorous than that proposed by the MPCC.

There's plenty of teams I'd have doubts about (both within and without), but Sky stand above for the bs they come out with to justify their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The reason they gave for not joining MPCC, laughably given what we now know, is that their own system was even more rigorous than that proposed by the MPCC.

There's plenty of teams I'd have doubts about (both within and without), but Sky stand above for the bs they come out with to justify their stance.

TBF, it was laughable at the time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TBF, it was laughable at the time as well
    Yeah, should've gone "even more laughably".

It's actually Sky's PR that have tripped them up from the very beginning. They talk about being held to a higher standard than everyone else, when it's actually people holding them to account for what they've actually said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Weepsie wrote: »
    His autobiography read a bit like "woe is me, I shouldn't have done this, but I I did and I'm sorry I did it and I glad I was caught"

He takes some responsibility, some but shifts an awful lot of blame elsewhere and then comes out with some serious two faced stuff since.
    I saw a video of him talking about his new clothing line recently. By God it is the most pretentious load of nonsense I've ever watched, absolutely vomit inducing!
    He is so up his own hole it is unreal.

I had brutal hayfever also. Nothing did anything and I also got that injection at 12 or 13 up me bum. Very very painful it was too. And unfortunately like everything else, it did f all good for my hayfever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The rugger buggers are riddled with it.
    Wasn't rugby union the worst offender in the UK last year?
    But class snobbery means it gets an easy ride from the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

terrydel wrote: »
    The rugger buggers are riddled with it.
    Wasn't rugby union the worst offender in the UK last year?
    But class snobbery means it gets an easy ride from the media.

Pro-cycling, the last bastion of the working class.

Advertisement