Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggins/Froome Asthma

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

to get you started,Ross Tucker Antoine Vayer, F7ck the Hypocricy.lots more, but i'm not going back through 4 days of my twitter feed to see who posted . twitter will only allow short statements, you want to understand what they are claiming, or look into it to see if you believe it or not, then you need to do your own research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

One of the Irish marathon stars also had asthma. Treacy…?

It's one of those illnesses that's become increasingly common; hard to know if it's that it's more often diagnosed (my feeling is that this is not the reason), or if it's caused by some environmental factor/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

a few a very small number I bet suffer from asthma but for the rest as vaughters says
    "go to camp, consume corticos, lose 4kgs, come back, stop taking corticos, race 4kgs lighter"

like i need this asthma
    article-2188427-148B9FD8000005DC-907_306x469.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I did read two things that go part of the way to indicating why cycling appears to have a high number of asthma sufferers. The first is that when searching for a sport for their kid to do, parents of kids with asthma often opt for cycling, because it's more of a steady-state sport than something like football or tennis and therefore a more manageable sport for someone with the condition. As a result, the kids that do well are disproportionately likely to have asthma rather than any other condition. The second is that as you go up the tiers in the sport, and particularly when you become a professional, your body starts getting exposed to punishments that don't really exist in most sports - cycling for an hour up a climb in thin air for several days in a row at the Giro, for example. When you're already dealing with a sport that overselects for asthma sufferers as per the previous point, the effect of a ride up the Stelvio puts people under stresses that a normal person would never come within a mile of experiencing. As a result, you end up with a peloton that has an overrepresented cohort of asthma sufferers, racing courses that might as well have been designed to trigger asthma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I did read two things that go part of the way to indicating why cycling appears to have a high number of asthma sufferers. The first is that when searching for a sport for their kid to do, parents of kids with asthma often opt for cycling, because it's more of a steady-state sport than something like football or tennis and therefore a more manageable sport for someone with the condition. As a result, the kids that do well are disproportionately likely to have asthma rather than any other condition. The second is that as you go up the tiers in the sport, and particularly when you become a professional, your body starts getting exposed to punishments that don't really exist in most sports - cycling for an hour up a climb in thin air for several days in a row at the Giro, for example. When you're already dealing with a sport that overselects for asthma sufferers as per the previous point, the effect of a ride up the Stelvio puts people under stresses that a normal person would never come within a mile of experiencing. As a result, you end up with a peloton that has an overrepresented cohort of asthma sufferers, racing courses that might as well have been designed to trigger asthma.

Come on. . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

morana wrote: »
    like i need this asthma
    article-2188427-148B9FD8000005DC-907_306x469.jpg

In fairness if he's smoking whilst having asthma, then he'd really need the TUEs as of course he'd be more in need of such medications than others. It's bad enough being disadvantaged by having asthma without being so unlucky as to smoke as well.

a few a very small number I bet suffer from asthma but for the rest as vaughters says
    "go to camp, consume corticos, lose 4kgs, come back, stop taking corticos, race 4kgs lighter"

And , as I was saying above, once you stop taking, one of the side affects is increased risk of asthma attacks. With respect to the rules about speculation on PEDs I m not going to name specific cases but anyone who follows the sport will know of cases of TUEs for sudden asthma attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Actually just came to me what Wiggins should respond with if questioned about the asthma, the TUEs & the smoking.

"I didn't inhale."

Just leave them with that line, no further explaining, & the beauty of this line being that it could apply to the inhalers or the fags.

mossym wrote: »
    And , as I was saying above, once you stop taking, one of the side affects is increased risk of asthma attacks. With respect to the rules about speculation on PEDs I m not going to name specific cases but anyone who follows the sport will know of cases of TUEs for sudden asthma attacks.

but its not about the asthma its about losing weight

• Advertisement

but its not about the asthma its about losing weight

Aye, the asthma attacks afterwards are the side effect.

Further to @desertcircus's description, cycling can be a kind of breathing meditation, which is great for asthma.

Aye, the asthma attacks afterwards are the side effect.

if you have it in the first place

One of the reasons that asthma isn't one of those long-term illnesses that warrant granting of a medical card (even though it is) is that a lot of people get bronchitis from smoking, and so are prescribed the same kind of medications.

Chuchote wrote: »
    One of the reasons that asthma isn't one of those long-term illnesses that warrant granting of a medical card (even though it is) is that a lot of people get bronchitis from smoking, and so are prescribed the same kind of medications.

look look at riders who dropped a stack of weight before the tour specifically in a short period. How did they do it and ride at the front of the bunch....in the mountains???

its nothing to do with asthma.

Sorry, I'm thick, didn't realise some people were saying the drug results were from taking steroids for power, not to cure asthma (if that's what people are saying). I was still talking about the fact that some athletes are stars despite actually having asthma. But maybe they weren't. On the other hand, if that's so, why amn't I racing up mountains, I've been taking the stuff for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sorry, I'm thick, didn't realise some people were saying the drug results were from taking steroids for power, not to cure asthma (if that's what people are saying). I was still talking about the fact that some athletes are stars despite actually having asthma. But maybe they weren't. On the other hand, if that's so, why amn't I racing up mountains, I've been taking the stuff for years!

I should have included this smiley in my original post.... ;)

callaway92 wrote: »
    Come on. . . . .

If you think there's an error in what I wrote, or that it's not sufficient to explain the apparent prevalence in the peloton of asthma, then by all means address it.

If you think there's an error in what I wrote, or that it's not sufficient to explain the apparent prevalence in the peloton of asthma, then by all means address it.

It's a load of bullshít. There's your error.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Methinks ur fact that kids with asthma are more likely to cycle than other less aerobically demanding sports is made up gibberish.

• Advertisement

Ya, sure as per the post earlier, it's the parents getting kids to do these sports :P

But I demand to know why I'm not winning at KOM level. I want my money back for 40 years of asthma medication!

Edit: 50 years, that should be

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

But I demand to know why I'm not winning at KOM level. I want my money back for 40 years of asthma medication!

I've asthma and took a KOM yesterday. Must be the limk but feck knows why it's the first in God knows ;0

RobFowl wrote: »
    I've asthma and took a KOM yesterday. Must be the limk but feck knows why it's the first in God knows ;0

you guys are taking your meds all wrong. its best administered in a fist sized suppository ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

This is one I can identify with somewhat having used various Asthma medications for the guts of 30 years at this stage. Without it I wouldn't be up to much exercise wise but with it I can go for 100km+ cycles without a bother. I didn't have to use my inhaler on tbe GDBR for instance but used it maybe three times earlier in the year when doing a sportive that brought us up the sally and Wicklow gaps. All sorts of things determine how often im using my inhaler but the thing that makes the biggest difference to me is the more exercise i do the less i need it.

But that's me and everyone who has asthma is affected differently.

Bang on...me too.

callaway92 wrote: »
    It's a load of bullshít. There's your error.

Are you interested in actually having a discussion, or are you just here to call an argument bull**** without offering any actual explanation?

sorry, not being clear

no asthma, take drugs to drop weight, then end up getting asthma attacks as a side effect meaning you need the drugs again...

sorry, not being clear

no asthma, take drugs to drop weight, then end up getting asthma attacks as a side effect meaning you need the drugs again...

Never heard of asthma caused as a side effect of weight loss drugs, is that a thing?

• Advertisement

Never heard of asthma caused as a side effect of weight loss drugs, is that a thing?

have you read the previous posts in the thread?

Advertisement