Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggins/Froome Asthma

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

nak wrote: »
    But insulin is used by non diabetic athletes for performance enhancement (usually with GH and steroids) so should be banned unless you're diabetic.

Seems mad that you can't register through your doctor as a diabetic, and be able to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

But insulin is used by non diabetic athletes for performance enhancement (usually with GH and steroids) so should be banned unless you're diabetic.

Well then it is a performance enhancing drug despite what was earlier stated. So no you can't compete at the highest level and have no god given right so. Just pick another career

Well then it is a performance enhancing drug despite what was earlier stated. So no you can't compete at the highest level and have no god given right so. Just pick another career

Point of information. It is not God who decides this.

A piece in Paris Match (not the most impeccable source, admittedly) about asthma and the current batch of competitive cyclists:

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Sport/Froome-Wiggins-l-asthme-et-le-dopage-1068931

Chuchote wrote: »
    Point of information. It is not God who decides this.

I wanted to be god but wasn't naturally talented enough and haven't been able to get a TUE to allow me reach my goal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Wow.

Diabetics can compete with a TUE and quite rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That's an unbelievably negative way of looking at everything. If Robinph has the natural talent to compete and succeed, then why should a health issue that is controllable with the correct treatment be an obstacle. What you are saying is that only the naturally talented and naturally perfectly healthy should be athletes, and that someone in Robinph's position needs to not take the meds, compete, and possibly die, or take the meds, sit on the couch, and just be glad to be alive. That's bull

The reason TUE's are there is to allow for cases where it is medically necessary to use a substance. The problem arises in the fact that where the potential for abuse exists, you will find some doctor who is willing to do up the paperwork and reports needed to say something is necessary when it really isn't.

There are 3 choices its either available to nobody, available to everyone or a limit that is available to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Siobhan Marie O'Connor is an interesting example of this situation. Clearly from her TUE's (released today by Fancy Bears) and what is already in the public domain, she has a bowel condition which affects her in her daily life regardless of doing high level sport. The same applies to diabetics and many other conditions that affect people day to day. She needs her medication to basically function.

The problem arises whereby some condition is 'exercise induced'. If someone starts to have physical problems as a result of high level competition and needs medical intervention to continue to compete (such as TUE for exercise induced asthma) then I think that's simply hard luck regarding your genetics. A sort of 'survival of the fittest' should be the standard for high level sport. How that can be demarcated, I don't know.

Of course, that's all even before we talk about the blatant abuse of TUE's by some of those athletes listed by the breach. A lot of people seem to be stuck on the above aspect and arguement and don't see how the TUE's can be abused by certain athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Is sport not supposed to be along the lines of the best person wins, and health is a major part of this. So if you suffer from asthma then your natural ability at sport is just less than someone who naturally doesn't have asthma.

So while you claim the medication is not performance enhancing without it you would just not be able to perform at a level to compete with someone without asthma.

It's certainly a valid viewpoint but begs the question about where to draw the line. What about vitamin supplements? Energy gels? Or are they ok because everyone can take them?

As I said earlier I'm not pro or against them using an inhaler if they need to but I think certainly it leads to even more questions.

I will say though that I'm glad that when I had my first asthma attack aged five and was put on medication no one told me there was now no way I could ever be a pro athlete. Its not the life I was destined for regardless but still, im glad it wasn't something taken away from me before I had the chance to realise my other limitations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diabetics can compete with a TUE and quite rightly so.
    Just stating that something is right doesn't make it so. That's the point under discussion.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Just stating that something is right doesn't make it so. That's the point under discussion.

I don't think there's any grey area in the case of insulin dependant diabetes, you either have it or you don't.

I don't think there's any grey area in the case of insulin dependant diabetes, you either have it or you don't.

They grey area is whether you should be allowed compete at the highest level or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Suppose, there are twins, same height, same weight, same training regime, same sex, everything the same, except one has diabetes, the other doesn't.
    Is there any way, that taking insulin will make the diabetic twin a better performing cyclist than the non diabetic sibling?

There are 3 choices its either available to nobody, available to everyone or a limit that is available to everyone.

This seems crazy, since it's assuming that everyone's at the same level of fitness. It would make sense if there were no medicine whatsoever, perhaps… would you think, for instance, that all athletes should be precluded from taking any other medications - aspirin and paracetamol, anti-inflammatories, extra vitamins, etc at all times, so that only the human body could be the resource? No fancy food supplements either?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

velo.2010 wrote:
    The problem arises whereby some condition is 'exercise induced'. If someone starts to have physical problems as a result of high level competition and needs medical intervention to continue to compete (such as TUE for exercise induced asthma) then I think that's simply hard luck regarding your genetics. A sort of 'survival of the fittest' should be the standard for high level sport. How that can be demarcated, I don't know.
    Salbutamol no longer requires a TUE up to a certain dose. WADA have accepted this treatment for exercise induced asthma isn't performance enhancing, or doesn't have enough effect below that concentration to be bothered about.

The WADA code/ anti doping doesn't just apply to elite level. You might be unlikely to be pulled, but anyone in sanctioned competition in a sports council affiliated organisation could be dope tested.

So anyone with asthma wouldn't be allowed to compete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Is there anyone on pro tour competing with either type 1/2 diabetes?

I know Steve Redgrave won his fifth medal with Type 2 just wasn't aware of any current top riders with it.

Controlling your blood sugar for Olympic rowing, as tough as it is, would be a cake walk (unintentional pun I swear) compared to 5hrs mountain stage on a Grand Tour with healthy (and probably many doped athletes).

ford2600 wrote: »
    Is there anyone on pro tour competing with either type 1/2 diabetes?

I know Steve Redgrave won his fifth medal with Type 2 just wasn't aware of any current top riders with it.

Controlling your blood sugar for Olympic rowing, as tough as it is, would be a cake walk (unintentional pun I swear) compared to 5hrs mountain stage on a Grand Tour with healthy (and probably many doped athletes).

I don't know. Team Novo Nordisk have set themselves the goal of getting a diabetic team in the TdF by 2021 (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ford2600 wrote: »
    Is there anyone on pro tour competing with either type 1/2 diabetes?.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

This team race at a fairly high level, Pro Continental.

Chuchote wrote: »
    This seems crazy, since it's assuming that everyone's at the same level of fitness. It would make sense if there were no medicine whatsoever, perhaps… would you think, for instance, that all athletes should be precluded from taking any other medications - aspirin and paracetamol, anti-inflammatories, extra vitamins, etc at all times, so that only the human body could be the resource? No fancy food supplements either?

Any drug on the list should be banned. If you have a flu and have to compete the next day then you compete with the flu and not with cough mixture or paracetamol.

Any drug on the list should be banned. If you have a flu and have to compete the next day then you compete with the flu and not with cough mixture or paracetamol.

Why such a hardline stance? There wouldn't be many rolling into Paris if they weren't allowed take a painkiller or two.

• Advertisement

Paracetamol and most cough mixtures aren't on the list. If you had the flu you wouldn't get very far in a bike race.

Why such a hardline stance? There wouldn't be many rolling into Paris if they weren't allowed take a painkiller or two.

There shouldn't be. Its an impossibly tough race. But what we are seeing is increasing speeds, more climbing and more finishers. We are fostering and encouraging a secret form of cheating where its more of an advantage to be "sick" than healthy.

But wasn't the point of the enhancer drugs, up till recently anyway, that you took them to help you train, then stopped a few weeks before the race. So you'd ruined your health, but they helped you to win, and didn't show up in your body? So surely if you're going to be purist, you'd have to ban all drugs at all times.

There shouldn't be. Its an impossibly tough race. But what we are seeing is increasing speeds, more climbing and more finishers. We are fostering and encouraging a secret form of cheating where its more of an advantage to be "sick" than healthy.

Surely you dont even watch sport. If this is how you feel how could you ppssobly get any enjoyment from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Salbutamol no longer requires a TUE up to a certain dose. WADA have accepted this treatment for exercise induced asthma isn't performance enhancing, or doesn't have enough effect below that concentration to be bothered about

The issue is salbutamol, corticosteroids and other products being used for fat burning in elite athletes. Asthma is the cover.

Surely you dont even watch sport. If this is how you feel how could you ppssobly get any enjoyment from it?

Why wouldn't I enjoy it. I take it for what it is.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The issue is salbutamol, corticosteroids and other products being used for fat burning in elite athletes. Asthma is the cover.

Salbutamol isn't a fat burner, well certainly not in my case. I'm another one with exercise induced asthma from cycling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The only Diabetic i am aware of who raced at (male) GT level was a French rider from the 80's era Dominic Garde, a teammate of Laurent Fignon at System U. He was a very decent rider who from memory once managed 19th in the TDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I go cycling cos it improves and maintains my health. I'm not sure if I found out it was the cause of an induced illness that I would continue to cycle :confused:

• Advertisement

Thinking about this. When I was a youngun I was like a little spring. If it were nowadays I have no doubt I would have been spotted and trained in gymnastics or athletics. I could jump my own height, I was fearless of heights, I could outrun everyone I knew, I spent most of my time standing on my hands or doing cartwheels or cycling.

But I was sick a lot - measles five times, between German and Allied; bronchial pneumonia a couple of times; mumps; whooping cough; rheumatic fever. It wasn't till I was 15 that I was diagnosed with asthma. By that time I'd already spent six years on daily penicillin.

If there hadn't been antibiotics (and if people hadn't developed near-immunities to antibiotics due to their constant use on meat, eggs and milk animals) I'd have been dead. But under the rules suggested here, I certainly wouldn't have been allowed to compete.

The rules suggested are kind of eugenicist, it seems to me; only the Perfect Man, without any flaw to his native health, can be entitled to compete. If you have to take medicine for asthma or epilepsy or diabetes or depression or any of the horrors that haunt our bodies, you're barred.

Advertisement