Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggins/Froome Asthma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I can't see too many people buying the latest issue of Procycling :D:D

proc_wiggins_670.jpg
    In the light of the recent revelations about Wiggins’s usage of a corticosteroid before his three last Grand Tours, which emerged after we went to press...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭G1032

The Andrew Marr Show is starting in five minutes on BBC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Stay in bed lads. They are still going on about brexit and the labour leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

On now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Explosive. Hard hitting. The must see interview. All words that will not be used to describe Marr/Wiggins.

Sounded like a horribly scripted waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

G1032 wrote: »

Looks like Walsh is back to his old Sky cheerleadering. Seems the plan is to throw Wiggins under the bus in order to save the mothership......I guess that is what suits Murdoch in any case. Walshs piece in today ST doesn't waver from that plan. It is being widely tweeted and analysed this morning.

Anyone think Wiggins will 'do a Landis'.....?

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/779938204824788992

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Looks like Walsh is back to his old Sky cheerleadering. Seems the plan is to throw Wiggins under the bus in order to save the mothership......I guess that is what suits Murdoch in any case. Walshs piece in today ST doesn't waver from that plan. It is beyond widely tweeted and analysed this morning.
    I haven't read the ST yet but surely this can't be pinned on Wiggins alone. There is no suggestion from any quarter that he acted independently of TS doctors and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Explosive. Hard hitting. The must see interview. All words that will not be used to describe Marr/Wiggins.

Sounded like a horribly scripted waste of time.

And even with that piece if scripted, stage managed ****e, we still sounded like a lying, cheating bastard.

• Advertisement

I can see the banners at the next TdF now...

Hey Froomey, C U Next Tue-day!

Paul Kimmage and Gary O'Toole are on Newstalk's Off the Ball for the Sunday paper review today. It should be pretty interesting and worth a listen.

It seems like Sky are throwing Wiggins under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Haven't read it but it sounds like people are saying Walsh is acting as Sky PR man in pushing a story of Wiggins going it alone? In 3 GTs with Sky? Sounds like that's pushing plausibility very very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Wiggins saying during the interview that Sky always worked to the limits of the rules sounds a bit dodgy anyway.

It seems quite "it may not be right, but it's legal so it's all good"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wiggins saying during the interview that Sky always worked to the limits of the rules sounds a bit dodgy anyway.

It seems quite "it may not be right, but it's legal so it's all good"

I wouldnt say dodgy just the way things have been done for decades in pro cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

It all seems to laid at Wiggins door only As if team Sky and their doctors had nothing to do with it As if Wiggins applied for the TUEs all on his lonesome I ha e always given Sky the. Benefit if the doubt. I now want to know every steroid or otherwise Froome has taken in or out of competition since 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Kimmage on newstalk today was very entertaining. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Transcript of interview from Sticky bottle.
    A lot of questions remain unanswered.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-of-bradley-wiggins-bbc-interview-in-full-with-andrew-marr/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just read washes Sunday times piece and it's definitely saying (in my opinion ) that wiggins did this all on his own and team sky didn't know. Now why does just raise more questions in my head than it answers.

Anyways it's a tue and it's all above board !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Just read washes Sunday times piece and it's definitely saying (in my opinion ) that wiggins did this all on his own and team sky didn't know. Now why does just raise more questions in my head than it answers.

but its not above board imho. he got a tue for a drug to treat a condition which he may develop in the following 3 weeks. And I dont think thats right or in line with the WADA code

"‘[I reply] “Well, I was still struggling with this breathing last week. I know it didn’t look like it but is there anything else you can do just to make sure that this doesn’t become an issue into a three-week race”. ’"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭G1032

pelevin wrote: »
    Haven't read it but it sounds like people are saying Walsh is acting as Sky PR man in pushing a story of Wiggins going it alone? In 3 GTs with Sky? Sounds like that's pushing plausibility very very far.

Walsh tweeted not long ago that he believes each of Wiggins, Sky and the UCI are equally to blame

https://twitter.com/DavidWalshST/status/780011876226850816

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

For anyone who missed it this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzjQoxjqG_8

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/159159/Sunday_Paper_Review_Kimmage__OToole_on_TUEs

Love Kimmage, one of the few journalists in any area in this country who actually understands what the job is about.
    Wiggins is a total fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very sad that these two wonderful anti doping journalists appear to have no relationship at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Kimmage for me is and remains petty , vindictative and aggressive

His whole raison d'ette is to vindicate the place of cycling in the world of doping. He is not a real supporteer of cycling whatever he may claim
    Now he wants only to put the boot in tp Walsh...its all petty and ridiculous

The thing is you can question the sport , a team like SKY and the issues without being a petty minded ass'''e. This story is not down to Kimmage its down to the Fancy bears . Just like Armstrong was brought down by USADA , not Walsh and not Kimmage. In fact I would say Kimmage aggression helped negate the story of Armstrong doping as it turned off those who want reasoned voices and could have listened earlier

And as for Kimmage's influence I would say if you cry wolf for long enough ....sooner or later a wolf turns up..

I think Walsh was wrong at the time during his stint at team SKY to say they are totally clean however why should it be Walsh now to uncover the Wiggins story
    It was before this time.

By Kimmage focusing in on Walsh only he shows how vindicative he is
    Also he said that in 2012 Walsh had his doubts about SKY but when asked to elaborate he went on about being in Portugal but never said when actually Walsh said he had his doubts and what exactly they were ???

It is possible to have doubst about SKY , to question SKY , to want to see them brought to book and still think Kimmage is just as much a part of the problem

For cycling is full of clean riders, team and success. If Kimmage had his way the only cycling story would be and is the negative

It was telling how he started the story today on the radio ...he fell on how Walsh got the interviews and how he Kimmage was sidelined...this seemed to be his most particular point

I love cycling. I want all cheats cauaght. But I also want the sport to not be constantly responsible for shouldering all that is bad in the world of sport and doping

I watched Cold Feet on Monday and in a family drama alluded to the Tour de France when the main characters were out for a bike ride...The comments were as to how the Tour i full of blood doping and EPO
    This is the main stram view of professional cycling

SKY and Wiggins much and all as I dislike what they have done but they have not broken the rules, they have not doen anything that is not happening I would venture in other teams and other sport.... They shoudl be held to account for unethical practices ...but can it be done in a measured way ?

But to say they are bunch of cheats and feel vindicated in doing so is not proven and imo a gross exaggeration. But this is the basis of all Kimmages starting points .And this is why Kimmage is toxic for th sport. No one will open up to him, he will not find the smoking gun and in the meantime he will contineu to publish only what is bad in the sport and attack riders from the sideline. THis is too far to the other extreme and beside the obvious enertainment value if you like that kind of thng this does not help cycling

Not sophisticaed, not always true and not effective, KImmage is not the sports champion.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    He says himself in that Newstalk piece "I may be an asshole, but I'm a consistent asshole".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MPFGLB wrote: »

His whole raison d'ette is to vindicate the place of cycling in the world of doping. He is not a real supporteer of cycling whatever he may claim
    Now he wants only to put the boot in tp Walsh...its all petty and ridiculous

The thing is you can question the sport , a team like SKY and the issues without being a petty minded ass'''e. This story is not down to Kimmage its down to the Fancy bears . Just like Armstrong was brought down by USADA , not Walsh and not Kimmage. In fact I would say Kimmage aggression helped negate the story of Armstrong doping as it turned off those who want reasoned voices and could have listened earlier

And as for Kimmage's influence I would say if you cry wolf for long enough ....sooner or later a wolf turns up..

I think Walsh was wrong at the time during his stint at team SKY to say they are totally clean however why should it be Walsh now to uncover the Wiggins story
    It was before this time.

By Kimmage focusing in on Walsh only he shows how vindicative he is
    Also he said that in 2012 Walsh had his doubts about SKY but when asked to elaborate he went on about being in Portugal but never said when actually Walsh said he had his doubts and what exactly they were ???

It is possible to have doubst about SKY , to question SKY , to want to see them brought to book and still think Kimmage is just as much a part of the problem

For cycling is full of clean riders, team and success. If Kimmage had his way the only cycling story would be and is the negative

It was telling how he started the story today on the radio ...he fell on how Walsh got the interviews and how he Kimmage was sidelined...this seemed to be his most particular point

I love cycling. I want all cheats cauaght. But I also want the sport to not be constantly responsible for shouldering all that is bad in the world of sport and doping

I watched Cold Feet on Monday and in a family drama alluded to the Tour de France when the main characters were out for a bike ride...The comments were as to how the Tour i full of blood doping and EPO
    This is the main stram view of professional cycling

SKY and Wiggins much and all as I dislike what they have done but they have not broken the rules, they have not doen anything that is not happening I would venture in other teams and other sport.... They shoudl be held to account for unethical practices ...but can it be done in a measured way ?

But to say they are bunch of cheats and feel vindicated in doing so is not proven and imo a gross exaggeration. But this is the basis of all Kimmages starting points .And this is why Kimmage is toxic for th sport. No one will open up to him, he will not find the smoking gun and in the meantime he will contineu to publish only what is bad in the sport and attack riders from the sideline. THis is too far to the other extreme and beside the obvious enertainment value if you like that kind of thng this does not help cycling

Not sophisticaed, not always true and not effective, KImmage is not the sports champion.

Some grains of truth here, but really, all you're doing here is shooting the messenger.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Some grains of truth here, but really, all you're doing here is shooting the messenger.

I think thats being extremely kind.
    To claim Kimmage is toxic for the sport or as much a part of the problem as Sky (which he did say in that rambling post) is some of the most laughable bollox I've ever seen posted on the internet, which is really saying something.

Advertisement