Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upc chromecast and an old tv

• 15-09-2016 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi I recently purchased a chromecast. But we're still slightly in the stone ages and have an old TV which only has a scart plug. So I've bought a scart composite adapter on eBay and off I went with a skip in my step with excitement but to only find a blank screen on the tv. Both the chromecast and adaptor are plugged in. I've changed the channel to the respective scart plug (it's the same one I'd plugged the upc scart out of) with no luck.

I've also tried plugging the chromecast directly into the UPC box but nothing happens there either. Anyone with anymore technical knowledge with any ideas would be much appreciated?

Tks
    Helena

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

The description of the scart adaptor is as follows

'HDMI converter for Google Chromecast. This device will convert the high-definition HDMI output from the Google Chromecast into standard definition AV output used by most older-model TVs'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Does the adaptor have a direction switch on it? Sometimes it only allows signal flow in one direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Why would you plug it into your UPC box? What are you hoping to achieve by doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭DJD

Just to ask the dumb questions - the chromecast is not powered off the HDMI plug, it has a separate power cable.
    is it plugged in?

I've tried the switch on the adaptor in both directions it goes between 720p and 1502p. There are two different power plugs.
    I just saw the hdmi plug at the back of the upc box and tried it and hoped for the best

• Advertisement

Just to check, (and I'm not trying to be cheeky in the slightest here) but you do know how Chromecast is is supposed to work and what it does, yes?

Yes I do know what it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Helenasca wrote: »
    I've tried the switch on the adaptor in both directions it goes between 720p and 1502p. There are two different power plugs.
    I just saw the hdmi plug at the back of the upc box and tried it and hoped for the best

The adapter probably has its own power plugs, but the Chromecast absolutely needs power to work. Does the light on the Chromecast come on at all?

Plugging it in to the HDMI output of the UPC box won't do anything.

Both the adaptor and the chromecast are plugged in and lights showing on both. The chromecast app shows the image on the phone and the pin. But just nothing shows on the tv! I know now this plugging it into the upc box doesn't help. But I was trying all options in frustration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Remove the UPC box from the setup. Plug the Chromecast HDMI converter into the UPC box scart socket and switch to AV on the TV remote.

Anything showing?

• Advertisement

I did that too. I plugged the upc scart out (with the tv on the upc channel) and plugged the adaptor in and zilch. I've tried AV and ext 1 and ext 2 and moved the scart and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

https://youtu.be/T3vsnx-CRnA This video might be of some help.

Have you got a link to the scary composite adapter?

Of there's a switch on the side with pal and ntsc, make sure its set to pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Helenasca wrote: »
    The description of the scart adaptor is as follows

'HDMI converter for Google Chromecast. This device will convert the high-definition HDMI output from the Google Chromecast into standard definition AV output used by most older-model TVs'

Searching your description brings up US links (example, not that the device is anything exotic): is that what you have?

If so, should always start with basic questions, presume you've connected it properly to the TV with the relevant cable/adapter, coloured plugs to like-coloured sockets?

Will come across as cheeky but maybe it's time to buy a new TV...

Advertisement