Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presenting data as Dublin vs Non-Dublin (rental market)

Options
2»

Comments

Elliott S wrote: »
    Well, I'd disagree, I much prefer Cork and Dublin. And I wouldn't be the only one. Where is "best" is down to opinion. Then there's the fact that MNCs always need a certain amount of foreign workers. Where would they rather live on average?

Why are there so many multinationals setup hours away from Dublin so, surely they would all be in the pale if they thought they had to locate there to get the workers they want. No MNC will have any difficulty getting workers to live in Cork or Galway no more than Dublin it will also help those from these cities and surrounding counties to get work where they are from and not be forced to move to Dublin to work.

As for disliking Dublin, I'm entitled to my opinion and there are many reasons for it but one of the main ones is I just wouldn't want to live in such a big city so its not just Dublin I would avoid living in its any big city in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Why are there so many multinationals setup hours away from Dublin so, surely they would all be in the pale if they thought they had to locate there to get the workers they want.

The large majority of MNCs are in Dublin. It was even shown on this thread that by far the most pharmceutical companies are in Dublin, not Cork and Galway.

Cork and Galway can accommodate a small number of MNCs with the amount of people who want to locate there. They have likely hit that ceiling. Which is why most MNCs are in Dublin. The people making the decision on where to locate the Irish branch of an MNC aren't stupid. They will carefully consider where to locate. Even with incentives being offered to locate elsewhere, most locate in Dublin and its environs. That's how it is.
    As for disliking Dublin, I'm entitled to my opinion and there are many reasons for it but one of the main ones is I just wouldn't want to live in such a big city so its not just Dublin I would avoid living in its any big city in the world.

Well, maybe try and separate your own dislike from the discussion at hand?

. It was even shown on this thread that by far the most pharmceutical companies are in Dublin, not Cork and Galway.

Where was this shown, I certainly didn't see it. Someone said this alright but it wasn't backed up.

Here are the top 10 pharma and med device companies in Ireland. http://www.getreskilled.com/top-10-pharma-and-med-device-companies-in-ireland

About 3 of them have a presence in Dublin but even then the main operations are elsewhere. Its not just Cork and Galway but many of the places I'm sure many here would consider even less desirable to live yet that's where the companies located.

Where was this shown, I certainly didn't see it. Someone said this alright but it wasn't backed up.

Here are the top 10 pharma and med device companies in Ireland. http://www.getreskilled.com/top-10-pharma-and-med-device-companies-in-ireland

Here you go:

https://issuu.com/ipha/docs/map-of-pharmaceutical-locations-in-ireland/1?e=1122707/3245777

Yes but as I said a lot of the Dublin based ones are offices or other services. The real meat of the industry is out around the country, particular in Cork for Pharma. Dublin has 11 manufacturing sites according to that, Cork has 20. Where do you think the bulk jobs are in a pharma company, the manufacturing sites obviously as this is where manufacturing and R&D happens and you will have a mix of highly skilled, skilled and semi-skilled workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Cork is a good bit smaller than Dublin but still feels like a proper city with a huge choice of amenities and it has an airport. It's no surprise it has attracted so many companies. Galway unmistakably feels like a town. That would put a lot of people off if they are looking for a city buzz.

Dublin Barely feels like a proper city in terms of amenities etc and Cork is long way behind that ... when I hear proper city I think of places in the UK like London , Birmingham , Liverpool and Manchester or on the continent like Amsterdam , Eindhoven , Lisbon , Madrid Barcelona , Naples , Florence Rome , Munich etc ... Dublin is a way behind all of those as said before probably more comparable to minor citys like Norwich , Glagow , Coventry , Valetta , places like that and Cork is along way behind again.

I've lived in proper city's and we just don't really have them here , Dublin's the best we've got and after that the rest are just regional urban hubs , to be honest there's one city and some large counties towns. Like whatever case can be made for Cork , Galway and to a lesser extent Limerick , Kilkenny and Waterford are nowhere near being cities in anything but name, I've been in bigger towns and villages in the UK

Dublin Barely feels like a proper city in terms of amenities etc and Cork is long way behind that ... when I hear proper city I think of places in the UK like London , Birmingham , Liverpool and Manchester

Obviously London is huge, but Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are not much bigger than Dublin. Actually, Manchester and Liverpool would be on a par or even a bit smaller. Lot of suburbia but the centres would be smaller or the same. I have no idea why you think those cities feel more like it than Dublin. Comparing Dublin to Coventry and Norwich - are you joking? :D And of the continental cities you listed, again, some are huge but some would be smaller than Dublin. Eindhoven? I've lived in Cork and it's strange, whilst it's quite small, it feels like a proper city. It's not all about population.

Yes but as I said a lot of the Dublin based ones are offices or other services. The real meat of the industry is out around the country, particular in Cork for Pharma. Dublin has 11 manufacturing sites according to that, Cork has 20. Where do you think the bulk jobs are in a pharma company, the manufacturing sites obviously as this is where manufacturing and R&D happens and you will have a mix of highly skilled, skilled and semi-skilled workers.

So Dublin has not an inconsiderable number of manufacturing sites, and has the bulk of the research jobs as well as most of the office based stuff. That's a lot of jobs! It would amount to the most employees overall by far, I would think.

I don't have any problem with companies locating elsewhere in Ireland but it seems to me that most want to locate in the Dublin area even when incentivised to pick a different part of Ireland. I don't really see that changing. Most are going to want to locate to somewhere that will attract a young, vibrant workforce, where they have proximity to other companies in their industries and where the best infrastructure is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KeyCode

meeeeh wrote: »
    This whole Dublin is country debate is tiring. Is there possible to make an argument for different classification of statistical data without 'mine is longer than yours' debate.

Quite frankly all it shows to me is that, despite all that is said about Cork having a chip on its shoulder, it's actually a minority of Dublin posters with a massive insecurity complex going on.

It just points to a completely parochial view of the world where they are refusing to see that there are other urban centres in Ireland and at least one that is of a significant enough scale that it is developing into a very pleasant, small European style city.

There are plenty of very viable cities in France and Germany that are Cork sized. Reykjavik is Cork sized, Edinburgh isn't a hell of a lot bigger... I could just keep listing endless examples.

I mean, the arguments being made here are similar to me saying well, Dublin's just a town compared to Paris or a country village compared to Beijing.

We have a population of 4.7 million, and we have and can definitely sustain one small/medium European City and two small European size cities (Cork and Belfast) and three smaller cities that are most definitely serious regional hubs (Limerick, Galway and Waterford).

The fact that you can't even have a logical debate about it in Ireland without a load of ranting and having to justify Cork's existence is just mind boggling.

I would strongly suspect that some of the posters making these assertions have 1. Never set foot in Cork / worked with companies from there or gone shopping there and 2. Probably have very little grasp of economic reality and 3. Have no idea how small Dublin is on the global scale. You can still quite literally see the countryside from the city centre !!

There are times though when I just wonder why Ireland is so weirdly regionalist and in-fighting. It's no wonder planning is so bad.

We should be actually delighted to see our cities growing and thriving, not trying to constantly knock them and imply they're some kind of remote backwaters. Having several decent urban areas is a very, very positive thing.

^^^^

Dunno if I'm being lumped in with the people you speak of, but I'm not from Dublin originally and I lived in Cork city and loved the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

meeeeh wrote: »
    This whole Dublin is country debate is tiring. Is there possible to make an argument for different classification of statistical data without 'mine is longer than yours' debate.

People from outside of Dublin dont seem to understand how large and important Dublin actually is. It is hard to discuss Dublin without them versus us as Dublin is so big it is not really comparable to the rest of Ireland.

This is not my opinion and in fact in an IT article this week it stated "Dublin’s influence is so “dominant” that it may be unique in the western world, a senior Government planner has said."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-s-dominance-of-state-near-unique-in-western-world-1.2786068

The CSO has limited resources. When it has to measure important things like inflation, carry out the census etc. Does it really need to use their limited resources on trying to find out the rental index of a glorified village in the west or cities that some like to call them? Dublin is so dominant Ireland, that a lot of people would agree that lumping every where in Ireland is quite reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KeyCode

Oh for Christ's sake ! This is like a discussion with 12 year olds. I actually give up!

Just pave the rest of the country. I literally couldn't be bothered discussing this and I'm sorry I even bothered opening the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

KeyCode wrote: »
    Quite frankly all it shows to me is that, despite all that is said about Cork having a chip on its shoulder, it's actually a minority of Dublin posters with a massive insecurity complex going on.

It just points to a completely parochial view of the world where they are refusing to see that there are other urban centres in Ireland and at least one that is of a significant enough scale that it is developing into a very pleasant, small European style city.

There are plenty of very viable cities in France and Germany that are Cork sized. Reykjavik is Cork sized, Edinburgh isn't a hell of a lot bigger... I could just keep listing endless examples.

I mean, the arguments being made here are similar to me saying well, Dublin's just a town compared to Paris or a country village compared to Beijing.

We have a population of 4.7 million, and we have and can definitely sustain one small/medium European City and two small European size cities (Cork and Belfast) and three smaller cities that are most definitely serious regional hubs (Limerick, Galway and Waterford).

The fact that you can't even have a logical debate about it in Ireland without a load of ranting and having to justify Cork's existence is just mind boggling.

I would strongly suspect that some of the posters making these assertions have 1. Never set foot in Cork / worked with companies from there or gone shopping there and 2. Probably have very little grasp of economic reality and 3. Have no idea how small Dublin is on the global scale. You can still quite literally see the countryside from the city centre !!

There are times though when I just wonder why Ireland is so weirdly regionalist and in-fighting. It's no wonder planning is so bad.

We should be actually delighted to see our cities growing and thriving, not trying to constantly knock them and imply they're some kind of remote backwaters. Having several decent urban areas is a very, very positive thing.

I spent a few years in Dublin and I came across some bizarre natives. People that had never been outside Ireland or even outside Dublin and they had this illusion of Dublin being one of the world's most important cities and a global metropolis up there with Tokyo, Los Angeles, London and New York. :) One gob****e was even telling all the foreigners in the office that there was no internet outside Dublin and the scary thing is the guy actually believed it in his own head. :confused:
    Dubliner's hate it when the spotlight is not on them. That's why you find them talking Cork down a lot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭atilladehun

To answer the OP. The media doesn't provide a service, it sells advertising space. Keep the dramatic infotainment coming quick and fast, squeeze the ads in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

zetalambda wrote: »
    I spent a few years in Dublin and I came across some bizarre natives. People that had never been outside Ireland or even outside Dublin and they had this illusion of Dublin being one of the world's most important cities and a global metropolis up there with Tokyo, Los Angeles, London and New York. :) One gob****e was even telling all the foreigners in the office that there was no internet outside Dublin and the scary thing is the guy actually believed it in his own head. :confused:
    Dubliner's hate it when the spotlight is not on them. That's why you find them talking Cork down a lot. ;)

This is such utter nonsense. I could easily spout something similar about 1 person from the country and then say "ah sure they're all like that".

I'm from Dublin but have lived and worked outside it also. In my experience Dublin people seldom even mention Cork (or wherever else) or any other county as simply put, they just don't register. I'd say the only time it comes up is when someone from Cork starts going on about how "Cork is the real capital" and all that happens is that the Dubliners in the room just roll their eyes. As for trying to say that Dubliners don't travel. Thats also complete nonsense. I've been to every corner of the map and I know plenty like me.

It reminds me of a girl I used to work with in Belfast. She said to me once "Do you know what we call you Southerners? We call you Mexicans because you're from south of the boarder" *insert her laughing heartily at her own hilarity here* I said "Oh, thats cute. Do you know what we call you? Nothing, because we never even think of you." - Silence.

Advertisement