Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning people against us.

Options
  • 15-09-2016 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I witnessed an interesting thing around 07.30hrs this morning. I'm not sure of the geography so bear with me. Just past Inchcore heading towards city a cyclist went straight through a red light beside a Garda car. The cop (rightly) pulled up beside her and told her to pull in. She stayed cycling and went down the one way street towards kilmainham jail and obviously the cop couldn't follow her. This was highly embarrassing and disrespectful to the Gardai and shows the public that some cyclists behave like they're above the law. That's the Garda in the car and the surrounding public that witnessed this turned into cyclist haters. Just found this very maddening. Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Here we go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Quickly. We must assemble the cycling grand council which controls the actions of all cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

The Guard could have easily followed her if he wished to..

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Smalltom wrote: »
    I witnessed an interesting thing around 07.30hrs this morning. I'm not sure of the geography so bear with me. Just past Inchcore heading towards city a cyclist went straight through a red light beside a Garda car. The cop (rightly) pulled up beside her and told her to pull in. She stayed cycling and went down the one way street towards kilmainham jail and obviously the cop couldn't follow her. This was highly embarrassing and disrespectful to the Gardai and shows the public that some cyclists behave like they're above the law. That's the Garda in the car and the surrounding public that witnessed this turned into cyclist haters. Just found this very maddening. Rant over.

Not good at all - there are idiots in all walks of life who behave abominably, cyclists, motorists and pedestrians included. I do understand however how offensive this behaviour is to other cyclists but let's keep the chin up - we cannot all be responsible for the actions of a few idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I wonder did she manage to outrun the radio...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Stupid behaviour, but the cops should've done her. (They could go up a one way street!).

It did appear to be a free for all this morning, with motorists in bus lanes, red light jumping (by motorists, didn't see any cyclists do it!), (my new pet hate of) motorbikes/ scooters in mandatory cycle lanes etc etc. I'd struggle to single out one type of road user tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I expect a thread lock coming, but I'll have popcorn at the ready just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cops ignore all sorts of things constantly.

Considering they are fining only a handful of cyclists per day suggests they don't take it very seriously. Id say the red light breaking gets more people angry than the ignoring the cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Do you know how many people i seen on the phone this morning while driving, 1 putting on make up and i'd love to know how many were still over the limit from last night.

Where is the drivers forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did you hear the conversation with the gardai? They might have just told her not to be a prat next time and went on their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

beauf wrote: »
    Cops ignore all sorts of things constantly.

Considering they are fining only a handful of cyclists per day suggests they don't take it very seriously. Id say the red light breaking gets more people angry than the ignoring the cop.

They very rarely ignore being dissed like that.

Very stupid girl and I hope she got snared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I was almost hit by a coach, I wish I'd had a one way street to escape onto!! That was just after a taxi driver passed me with about 1 inch to spare and two motor bikes and moped drove past in the bus lane I was cycling on....that's not to say I didn't see stupid behavior by fellow cyclists too though. On the plus side a woman driver waited behind me so I could change lane and cars have stopped at the crossings in the PP to let me carry on without stopping the last few mornings.

I'm shocked to my very core.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I know where the OP is coming from.
    Some motorists get annoyed when they see some cyclists breaking some rules of the road they have to obey.
    I wonder if these motorists would be more considerate to cyclists in subsequent traffic situations where compromise/discretion is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I stopped and let a car out of a minor road even though I could have kept on cycling, so there! Is that enough reparation for the crimes of my fellow cyclists. I must consult the cycling council convened by rollingscone...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Ohhh here we go again,I'm telling ye the wild Atlantic way is the place to be.

Living in the city is hard going.

I'm thinking of getting a bike myself as I love the scenery around the Burren and driving along the commons near Killanabouy is such a joy.

More than likely I'd collide with a cow or drive over a Lizard lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I stopped and let a car out of a minor road even though I could have kept on cycling, so there! Is that enough reparation for the crimes of my fellow cyclists. I must consult the cycling council convened by rollingscone...

I do it all the time, and acknowledge a driver for not trying to take a turn before me even though they would be in the wrong.

I hope then my good karma will be passed onto the next cyclist that driver sees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Quickly. We must assemble the cycling grand council which controls the actions of all cyclists!

Thank you! You've just given us the answer to all the foamers who start raving about "cyclists" they've seen doing trafficky things!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

This is why we need an armed police force.

While we're sharing driver-cyclist stories, the other day the OH was patiently waiting behind a cyclist for a safe opportunity to pass. White van guy behind doesn't like this and blows the horn and makes lots of gestures. Eventually she can pass safely and the cyclist roars abuse at her and shakes his fist, thinking she was blowing the horn. You can't win sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

Well I'm a cyclist/heavy machine driver/motorist and she boiled my blood. I know lots of cops and being dissed is definitely not a good approach. Had she pulled in he would have probably given her a warning but God help the other cyclists he sees doing the same during his shift. I was hoping for a big foot coming out of the clouds and squashing her aka Monty Python.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Maybe the cyclist has just robbed a shop, or shot someone. In which case her decision to outrun the Garda car was reasonably valid. So we shouldn't be too quick to criticise her.

Well I'm a cyclist/heavy machine driver/motorist and she boiled my blood. I know lots of cops and being dissed is definitely not a good approach. Had she pulled in he would have probably given her a warning but God help the other cyclists he sees doing the same during his shift. I was hoping for a big foot coming out of the clouds and squashing her aka Monty Python.

She'd boil my blood too. She wouldn't make me think all cyclists wheeled in a great turning mass, at one in their behaviour and their psychology. It would make me grrr at her; it would not make me feel that 'cyclsts' were to blame; anyone who thinks like that is frankly a bit dim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

outfox wrote: »
    Maybe the cyclist has just robbed a shop, or shot someone. In which case her decision to outrun the Garda car was reasonably valid. So we shouldn't be too quick to criticise her.
    I know her - she's actually special branch, has gone undercover into the cycling community to try to determine its secret leader. She was afraid the uniformed garda would blow her cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

And it made you hate all cyclists? Says more about you pal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycled 25k this morning.
    I was stopped at a "T" junction waiting to turn right.
    A motorists flashed his headlamps at me and waved me on.
    I nodded my head in approval and accepted his offer and turned right.
    As i did so, I gave him a quick wave.

Motorists...there not all bad.

I know her - she's actually special branch, has gone undercover into the cycling community to try to determine its secret leader. She was afraid the uniformed garda would blow her cover.

Multi-lols!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Saw a funny one this morning, hope the cyclists is on the forum.

I was running down the Greenhills road and a car pulled out of Smyths DIY shop, blocked a bit of the cycle lane.

Cyclist came along went around the car and shouted at the driver which he was entitled to do it, as motorists was in the wrong.

Cyclist then goes thru a red light at speed where people were crossing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Cyclist came along went around the car and shouted at the driver which he was entitled to do it, as motorists was in the wrong.

Was he really though ?

Part of being on the road is putting up with dozens of minor little issues every day. Being aggressive is not going to help anyone, particularly cyclists.

• Advertisement

This thread makes me hate all drivers (not)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057647389

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement