Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning people against us.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

http://www.newstalk.com/Study-finds-60-of-cyclist-break-red-lights

This link is in keeping with my observations as a cyclist. But really all anyone has to do is observe for themselves.

Fair enough...

You'll enjoy this video so...

https://youtu.be/OWC8sT06Zi0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cycled 25k this morning.
    I was stopped at a "T" junction waiting to turn right.
    A motorists flashed his headlamps at me and waved me on.
    I nodded my head in approval and accepted his offer and turned right.
    As i did so, I gave him a quick wave.

Motorists...there not all bad.

That has yet to happen to me in many many...so..many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

http://www.newstalk.com/Study-finds-60-of-cyclist-break-red-lights

This link is in keeping with my observations as a cyclist. But really all anyone has to do is observe for themselves.

60% of cyclists break read lights, according to Dr Caulfield's study; but there's no link to the study, so you can't see what exactly he studied! If this is the guy he doesn't seem to list this particular study on his page

http://people.tcd.ie/Profile?Username=caulfib

though he seems to be doing some interesting work on the greening of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I cant believe i missed this topic this thread this morning. :D

Having briefly skipped through the posts it seems that a bicycle registration plate would come in handy for identifying those who decide to peddle off. I believe there is not enough accountability for the actions of cyclists and this is causing some to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Roadhawk wrote: »

Having briefly skipped through the posts it seems that a bicycle registration plate would come in handy for identifying those who decide to peddle off. I believe there is not enough accountability for the actions of cyclists and this is causing some to take advantage.

Made sure you skipped all the posts about reg plated cars breaking the law, obviously....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

boardbeer wrote: »
    Roadies. I think they have strict rules about not acknowledging other cyclists if they have the wrong coloured sock, stem not slammed, tyres not aligned with valve, etc.

Yes, of course we do.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#45

That has yet to happen to me in many many...so..many years.

Its a regular occurrence for me. When leaving work each evening, I have to turn right onto the Kilbarrack road. Similar scenario and most evening, motorists will allow me out of the side road and onto the Kilbarrack road. (regardless of whether i'm cycling or driving).

By peddle off you mean sell their bikes?

The users of Dublin Bikes can already be identified, aren't the bikes tracked? And since they seem to be a large proportion of those who behave in a way to outrage drivers…

Since there isn't even a database of frame numbers, can't see a licence plate being brought in. All it would mean would be a new market in stolen licence plates, as well as the current market in stolen bicycles.

Considering the idiots who say "My bike was stolen - no, I didn't keep a record of the frame number - ah hell, I'll buy another bike, don't care if it was stolen…" (#headdesk) it's highly, highly unlikely any real action is going to be taken that might make cyclists political and set them to demanding that bike theft, for instance, be tackled.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think you should tattoo all the cyclists with barcodes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also the fact that the story has holes since there is nothing stopping the Garda following the cyclist, which I imagine any disrespected Garda would have done.

• Advertisement

Having briefly skipped through the posts it seems that a bicycle registration plate would come in handy for identifying those who decide to peddle run red lights . I believe there is not enough accountability for the actions of cyclists and enforcement of our existing laws that is causing some to take advantage.

FYP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think you should tattoo all the cyclists with barcodes.

A number would be handier, I can't imagine why no one in history has thought of such a novel way of tracking a group within the population, I personally can't see a reason why anyone would object.

Chuchote wrote: »
    By peddle off you mean sell their bikes?

The users of Dublin Bikes can already be identified, aren't the bikes tracked? And since they seem to be a large proportion of those who behave in a way to outrage drivers…

Since there isn't even a database of frame numbers, can't see a licence plate being brought in. All it would mean would be a new market in stolen licence plates, as well as the current market in stolen bicycles.

Considering the idiots who say "My bike was stolen - no, I didn't keep a record of the frame number - ah hell, I'll buy another bike, don't care if it was stolen…" (#headdesk) it's highly, highly unlikely any real action is going to be taken that might make cyclists political and set them to demanding that bike theft, for instance, be tackled.

Im sure there could be some way to work around it.

Im one of those people who had a bike stolen recently and when i rang the gards the first thing they asked for was the chassis number...pure rookie.

Having said all that i do feel through observation that the actions of many cyclists are getting worse. You can be guaranteed to see a large number of cyclists blatantly breaking the law at any time of the day in Dublin City. Per transport group, they have to be the highest offenders on the road. Something has to give...the RSA and Coke Cola are continuously advertising to cyclists to be more careful on the roads but this is not reflected in any way. You can be sure that there will be more incidents on Dublin roads involving cyclists before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

You can be sure that there will be more incidents on Dublin roads involving cyclists before the year is out.

You don't say?

You don't say?

Its amazing how much sarcasm takes places in conversations with cyclists

You can be sure that there will be more incidents on Dublin roads involving cyclists before the year is out.

Do you mean Cyclist V Cyclist type incidents or Cyclist V Cars and trucks? which have been happening for years and will no doubt continue into the future?

Having said all that i do feel through observation that the actions of many cyclists are getting worse. You can be guaranteed to see a large number of cyclists blatantly breaking the law at any time of the day in Dublin City. Per transport group, they have to be the highest offenders on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Having said all that i do feel through observation that the actions of many cyclists are getting worse....
    I'd disagree. I think it was much worse 30 years ago when most cycling commuters did so because they didn't have a car or couldn't afford one and had little concept of what it was like to drive unlike now where most cycling commuters are also regular motorists. Cycling on footpaths and cycling without lights were also rampant years ago.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Do you mean Cyclist V Cyclist type incidents or Cyclist V Cars and trucks? which have been happening for years and will no doubt continue into the future?

A bit of both. hopefully less of the motorised vehicle V cyclist for obvious reasons

Cyclist-on-cyclist murders, cycle-by shootings, getaway cyclists at the heist… :eek:

• Advertisement

:confused: ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was going to go for derision, but didn't want to seem unfriendly.

I cycle a lot, and I'm also a qualified advanced driver. I obey the law while on my bike, and I practice my roadcraft on every journey. I think about what I'm doing as well as closely observing the environment around me. Then I come on here and every time there's someone coming along with tax/licencing/training/helmets/hiviz/allcyclistsarelawlessanddangerousandmustberegulated suggestions for how I can be forced to do what I already do. I'm expected to take on collective guilt for the real and perceived offences of others.
    So sometimes I get a bit sarky. Soz.

Anyone who actually gave it a bit of thought would realise that a little bit of enforcement would go a long way, leaving those who are law-abiding to go about their business while targeting the problem. We already have the laws.

I'd disagree. I think it was much worse 30 years ago when most cycling commuters did so because they didn't have a car or couldn't afford one and had little concept of what it was like to drive unlike now where most cycling commuters are also regular motorists. Cycling on footpaths and cycling without lights were also rampant years ago.

I wasnt around back then so wouldnt know. For the best part i can see what you mean. Im comparing it really to what it was like 5-10 years ago. it just seems to be particularly worse now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm with the OP on this one. I now totally hate ALL skip lorry drivers after an incident yesterday morning. I know it's a bit harsh to taint them all but shure it's handier that way and I don't have to think too much when spouting on about it.

I'm going to add BinMen to the list too, as they're kind of like Skip lorry drivers.

Shure they're ALL the same!

Apologies to any cyclists offended by the Video below.

Yes it was 6:40ish AM and I did (for shame!) stop at a red light on a left turn, with no traffic about.

Cyclist-on-cyclist murders, cycle-by shootings, getaway cyclists at the heist… :eek:

and another?

:confused: ???

We're baaad (slicks back hair with palm-held comb, snaps braces, swaggers)

I'm with the OP on this one. I now totally hate ALL skip lorry drivers after an incident yesterday morning. I know it's a bit harsh to taint them all but shure it's handier that way and I don't have to think too much when spouting on about it.

I'm going to add BinMen to the list too, as they're kind of like Skip lorry drivers.

Shure they're ALL the same!

Apologies to any cyclists offended by the Video below.

Yes it was 6:40ish AM and I did (for shame!) stop at a red light on a left turn, with no traffic about.

Ok i agree that this look like the truck deliberately breaks a red light however i just want to point something out...there are 4 lights on the traffic light closest to you. im presuming the bottom one is a left filter arrow which wouldnt necessarily show show up on the other side of the road. Could it be that the filter went green and the truck turned left? the cyclist (camera view) seemed to be ahead of the light so cant be sure. Also the cars behind are in the other lane so i would imagine they are slowing for the red light that applies to them? What junction is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm with the OP on this one. I now totally hate ALL skip lorry drivers after an incident yesterday morning.
    Are you sure he broke a red? Any time I've gone that way I've had to join traffic in the right lane because the left turn filter light had gone green before the straight on one had. It's hard to tell with your camera angle, plus how there's only the straight on arrow the other side of the junction.

As an aside, a skip driver more or less stopped on the N81 at Brittas today to let me turn right across him. They're not all bad, though given your vendetta against them it might be hard to change your mind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Robert, Mr hawk, Yep there is a left filter light there, but I have never seen it working in the early mornings. Lights just go green. So I am not sure if they are triggered in heavier traffic or something. It is a busy road during the day.

In fairness to the skip driver, Red lights at that time of the day when there is no traffic, meh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

@Roadhawk. Please read the forum charter before continuing to post. This kind of stuff isn't what the forum is for.

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement