Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning people against us.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also the fact that the story has holes since there is nothing stopping the Garda following the cyclist, which I imagine any disrespected Garda would have done.

I don't why they didn't......I mean they'd have nothing better to do this morning with bus strike and all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Firedance wrote: »
    I was almost hit by a coach, I wish I'd had a one way street to escape onto!! That was just after a taxi driver passed me with about 1 inch to spare and two motor bikes and moped drove past in the bus lane I was cycling on....that's not to say I didn't see stupid behavior by fellow cyclists too though. On the plus side a woman driver waited behind me so I could change lane and cars have stopped at the crossings in the PP to let me carry on without stopping the last few mornings.

How dare you say something good about a motorist...have you forgotten which forum you're in? .....gets popcorn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Firedance wrote: »
    I was almost hit by a coach, I wish I'd had a one way street to escape onto!! That was just after a taxi driver passed me with about 1 inch to spare and two motor bikes and moped drove past in the bus lane I was cycling on....that's not to say I didn't see stupid behavior by fellow cyclists too though. On the plus side a woman driver waited behind me so I could change lane and cars have stopped at the crossings in the PP to let me carry on without stopping the last few mornings.

Fair dues to lady drivers, my own experience in general is they are indeed very considerate towards cyclists and noticeably so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I'm with the OP on this one. I now totally hate ALL skip lorry drivers after an incident yesterday morning. I know it's a bit harsh to taint them all but shure it's handier that way and I don't have to think too much when spouting on about it.

I'm going to add BinMen to the list too, as they're kind of like Skip lorry drivers.

Shure they're ALL the same!

Apologies to any cyclists offended by the Video below.

Yes it was 6:40ish AM and I did (for shame!) stop at a red light on a left turn, with no traffic about.

How bright are the lights on your bike?? In the rear view shot you are lighting up the reflective road signs like the strobes on a Garda/fire vehicle would. (0.24 onwards)

Maybe the skip lorry could not see what colour the lights were as he was being blinded by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Maybe the skip lorry could not see what colour the lights were as he was being blinded by you.

Prinz, if you're blinded by lights when you're out driving what do you do?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Prinz, if you're blinded by lights when you're out driving what do you do?

Should not be blinded.. You do not need lights that powerful under streetlights. They should be made illegal. Garda Traffic would pull vehicles over if the lights were not set up right.

Its like a camera flash every half second..

Should not be blinded.. You do not need lights that powerful under streetlights. They should be made illegal. Garda Traffic would pull vehicles over if the lights were not set up right.

Its like a camera flash every half second..

I'll try asking again.
    If you're blinded by lights when you're out driving what do you do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I've come to realise from reading boards.ie that cyclists are never in the wrong. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Casey78 wrote: »
    I've come to realise from reading boards.ie that cyclists are never in the wrong. Ever.

Thank you. Thank you. So few people acknowledge that :p

I'll try asking again.
    If you're blinded by lights when you're out driving what do you do?

Well duh.. Slow down obviously. And if you can, take the reg no and call traffic watch..

Can't do that with a cycle though can we?

Did you hear about the person walking down Camden St last winter that had a fit (she had photosensitive epilepsy) after a cyclist with camera flash lights passed her??

Ask the workers in that chicken shop near the Tesco express if you do not believe me as it was them that called the ambulance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also the fact that the story has holes since there is nothing stopping the Garda following the cyclist, which I imagine any disrespected Garda would have done.

The fact are as laid out in my original post. I think the Garda in his car pursuing a bicycle down a one way street against traffic would have endangered any amount of road users. The only hole in the story is the hole where the cyclists brain should reside.

Well duh.. Slow down obviously. And if you can, take the reg no and call traffic watch..

So, did the bin lorry drive like it was blinded by lights?

So, did the bin lorry drive like it was blinded by lights?

You would need to ask the driver of the lorry that. But you tell me... You seem to be an expert on all things traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You would need to ask the driver of the lorry that. But you tell me... You seem to be an expert on all things traffic...

Let us make it a multiple choice for you. If you are driving and are blinded by lights, do you:

a) slow down/stop as you cannot see ahead?

or

b) continue on as before and ignore traffic signals?

I'm just asking you a simple question that you seem reluctant to answer for some reason.
    I didn't ask you if the bin lorry was blinded by lights.

"Did the bin lorry drive like it was blinded by lights?" (In your opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

How bright are the lights on your bike?? In the rear view shot you are lighting up the reflective road signs like the strobes on a Garda/fire vehicle would. (0.24 onwards)

A cars indicators are enough to as you say light up the reflective signs like strobes, so are all car indicator lights blinding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Fair play to her.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Let us make it a multiple choice for you. If you are driving and are blinded by lights, do you:

a) slow down/stop as you cannot see ahead?

or

b) continue on as before and ignore traffic signals?

Already answered.. Read the thread.

I'm just asking you a simple question that you seem reluctant to answer for some reason.
    I didn't ask you if the bin lorry was blinded by lights.

"Did the bin lorry drive like it was blinded by lights?" (In your opinion)

I am not a Garda, the DDP or a Judge nor are you. Only they can make that call.

There are lots of skip trucks stolen.. (Used as rams to steal ATM's or shipped abroad)..

Ever think about that?? No. Bad driving etc etc.

But the lights are out of order.. Sure the Garda will pull the person over soon enough!

I am not a Garda, the DDP or a Judge nor are you. Only they can make that call.

This is a discussion forum where people give their opinions, not a court of law.

In your opinion, did the bin lorry drive like it was blinded by lights?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Well hasn't this thread turned into a steaming pile of sh1t fairly quickly. To EVERYONE. Read the forum charter before posting again if you are unsure of it. The next person to refer to cyclists as a homogenous groups gets banned. The next person to refer to motorists as a homogenous group gets banned.

EDIT: Actually, that's alot of banning, thread closed. When you go out tomorrow on what ever form of transport you use, leave with time to spare, be courteous and if someone else breaks the rules, f*ck them and lead by example. Don't get in a rage. If possible, politely point out their folly, if not, just smile and breathe. Give a hug to the next person you think won't be annoyed by it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement