Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptise or not to Baptise?

Options
  • 15-09-2016 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Due in May here. Myself any my partner do not want to christen the baby as we do not believe in a faith as such and don't want to force it on the child so he/she can make up their own mind when the are old enough.

The big question is though are schools still clinging on to the whole "your child must be christened" to enroll in schools? I have heard that has been relaxed lately or am I hearing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's not essential but can make things easier.

Round here "Catholic" schools give first priority to those who are christened and then after they have been accommodated will accept those of other or no faiths.

TBH I'd just do it for the sake of having a better choice of schools.

No matter what moaning there schools patronage thing is stuck at an impass, the RC church own the sites and in some cases still the buildings to they will have their influence. The opportunities to change this was missed with the settlement over clerical abuse. Even if the RC church was convinced to sell their interests the state couldn't afford it. Topped bt the fact xt that the church see this as a legitimate way to push forward the religion, if only a small % keep the faith then it will be seen as worth while.

The government can't just take the schools/grounds as that would be illegal and so the status quo is likely to remain going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

depends on the ethos of the school.
    you will have to check with the schools directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

_Brian wrote: »
    It's not essential but can make things easier.

Round here "Catholic" schools give first priority to those who are christened and then after they have been accommodated will accept those of other or no faiths.

TBH I'd just do it for the sake of having a better choice of schools.

No matter what moaning there schools patronage thing is stuck at an impass, the RC church own the sites and in some cases still the buildings to they will have their influence. The opportunities to change this was missed with the settlement over clerical abuse. Even if the RC church was convinced to sell their interests the state couldn't afford it. Topped bt the fact xt that the church see this as a legitimate way to push forward the religion, if only a small % keep the faith then it will be seen as worth while.

The government can't just take the schools/grounds as that would be illegal and so the status quo is likely to remain going forward.

Thanks,we have discussed "doing it for the sake of more choice", still feels wrong, but I think it might be something we have to look into.

the one thing i do always say it (and just because it happened a friend of mine)
    think long term.
    a friend of mine got engaged, was planning the wedding when she found out she couldnt get married in the big white church wedding she wanted because her future husband wasnt baptised.
    he had to go though the whole thing... over the summer so they could. was a total pain for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

I baptised for the sake of the same. While I feel like a complete unprincipled hypocrite and lacking conviction, I feel it definitely benefits my 3 children in relation to both initial school application and inclusion in school teaching. Some of the horse **** they come home spouting is old school mindless fantasy religious ****e, but I let it slide. I don't give my measly, unprincipled opinions on the matter!!!! Kids are happy and included in all lessons and free to believe or not, as they choose. This is not to say they wouldn't be equally as happy if I was strong and principled!!!

• Advertisement

the one thing i do always say it (and just because it happened a friend of mine)
    think long term.
    a friend of mine got engaged, was planning the wedding when she found out she couldnt get married in the big white church wedding she wanted because her future husband wasnt baptised.
    he had to go though the whole thing... over the summer so they could. was a total pain for them.

Literally never thought of that...I think I know which way my decision will have to swing here. Just convincing the other half now, as she is dead against baptising. She is a very principled woman! :)

Religion is deadly isn't it?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

we were in the same boat.
    get the child baptize to make it easier for school enrollment that is what we did,
    I was religious growing up but lost that type of faith a long time ago.
    I will not push anything on kids will let them make up own mind when they are older.
    schools still hold onto that ethos of first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Never a truer word spoken.

Literally never thought of that...I think I know which way my decision will have to swing here. Just convincing the other half now, as she is dead against baptising. She is a very principled woman! :)

yeah the poor groom had to sit though classes and stuff once a week for the summer, nothing to major but he was amazed by how many other people were there. same thing parents didnt want to baptise for the sake of it but didnt think down the line.

i know civil weddings etc are becoming more popular and humanist etc but i dunno i dont see any harm in baptising, gives you the option anyway sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hi guys

Due in May here. Myself any my partner do not want to christen the baby as we do not believe in a faith as such and don't want to force it on the child so he/she can make up their own mind when the are old enough.

The big question is though are schools still clinging on to the whole "your child must be christened" to enroll in schools? I have heard that has been relaxed lately or am I hearing wrong?

We were in the same boat as you on our first child, and again now in the next while when no.2 arrives.

Neither or us are religous but we decided to just go ahead with the baptism to avoid any issues with school (this was two years ago, so it was a requirement for a number of schools in our area, not sure on the changes now).We figure our daughter like us, can come to an age where she either continues her faith or just ignores it like we did.

My GF brought up a good point also about "kids being kids" in school, and there maybe being an unnecessary bullying/slagging aspect should there be religion classes or things and our daughter is separated for being different.

In the end we have just treated it as a requirement for schooling, and down to our daughter what she wants to do when shes old enough. Don't feel hypocritical about it, think its just a shocking state of affairs that the church is still so ingrained into our society and state schooling, in 2016.

To be honest there was even this little meeting thing we had to go to before the baptism in the Church's community area, and it was a pretty on point talk that focused more on the baby being introduced into the local community etc. So it felt like even the Church and their volunteers knew most of the people in the meeting where there just to get it done for the schooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We haven't gotten ours done.
    We're not hypocrites, we don't believe anything and I have no respect for those who go along with this charade whatsoever.
    If you can live with the hypocrisy, go ahead. But I resent my parents signing me into the catholic church and they now wish they had thought it through because they have many, many regrets about it.
    I will deal with schools if and when it is an issue. But I could not look my children in the eye and tell them we handed them over to a church we despise because of nebulous concerns about their marriage ceremonies in the future or because of schools.

As for bullying, if religious children bully those who aren't that says a lot about how those parents raised their children. I was bullied for wearing glasses, the school dealt with it and it was fine. Bullying problems is probably one of the most laughable arguments for baptising I've heard.

lazygal wrote: »
    We haven't gotten ours done.
    We're not hypocrites, we don't believe anything and I have no respect for those who go along with this charade whatsoever.
    If can live with the hypocrisy, go ahead. But I resent my parents signing me into the catholic church and they now wish they had thought it through because they have many, many regrets about it.
    I will deal with schools if and when it is an issue. But I could not look my children in the eye and tell them we handed them over to a church we despise because of nebulous concerns about their marriage ceremonies in the future or because of schools.

jeez tell us how you really feel there lazygal :p

jeez tell us how you really feel there lazygal :p
    Yeah, I'm not going to sugar coat it. :p

So long as non religious patents keep baptising their kids ' just because' for stupid reasons like they don't want them bullied, or so they can have a church wedding when they grow up, nothing will change in this country.

It's ridiculous & hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

think long term.

Don't think this is true in roman Catholic Church as there is a dispensation procedure which is the same for atheists, protestants, Jews etc...
    Fill a 1 page form with the priest, he sends to Bishop who grants the dispensation. I've done it and so have a few of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mambaman

Yeah just fall in line like the rest. The sooner people stand up to the church the sooner this blatant discrimination can end. I hope your other half tells you to grow a pair and sticks to her principles.

Yeah, I'm not going to sugar coat it. :p

clearly, but there a big difference between offering your opinion on something and offending others in the process for the sake of it.

your issues with your parents are your own, resentment or whatever. but that doesnt mean you should plant the idea that OP's kids will resent them for trying their best, as im sure your parents did.

everyones just doing their best for their kids.

Mambaman wrote: »
    Yeah just fall in line like the rest. The sooner people stand up to the church the sooner this blatant discrimination can end. I hope your other half tells you to grow a pair and sticks to her principles.
    There's a reason the church calls its followers sheep.

Don't think this is true in roman Catholic Church as there is a dispensation procedure which is the same for atheists, protestants, Jews etc...
    Fill a 1 page form with the priest, he sends to Bishop who grants the dispensation. I've done it and so have a few of my friends.

he was Lithuanian so i'm not sure what he was.
    she was roman catholic and they wanted to get married in the Honan in UCC.

there were defo forms but he had to go to classes/get togethers whatever they were called out in frankfield church.

There's a reason the church calls its followers sheep.

All right lads put the pitch forks down, I am on the fence here and asking a simple question. I have never done this parenting thing before so be gentle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's quite enough of that. Be civil or stop posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

haha love the responses.

There is enough worries in modern life, without me having to limit my children to what schools are available due to the state not being able to adequately maintain modern entry requirements, or me having to worry about my daughter feeling weird or different when shes sitting in another room while others are in religion. These are children, not at the ages to comprehend the more complex nuisances of choice and decision. Kids dont want to be different.

But whatever, I take exception to it being called a "stupid" reason, but it's of so little real consequence it's not even worth me bothering going into more detail.

All right lads put the pitch forks down, I am on the fence here and asking a simple question. I have never done this parenting thing before so be gentle.

the most important part of parenting is making sure your kid knows they are loved.

if practically impossible to fcuk up your child that bad now a days. lifes tough but your doing the right thing by questioning the norm.

im a list gal so pros and cons are always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

OP I wouldn't let the wedding thing be a deciding factor, it's going to be a minimum of 18 years before that's an issue and who knows what position the church will take then, with civil marriage numbers increasing, in 18 years time, I imagine the church will have to adapt to that and amend their rules. Though I already suspect it's not an issue as people of different faiths can already marry in the catholic church.

As for school I think I read that educate together opened 9 new schools this September alone, and if they continue to grow at that rate, by the time your little one is ready for school there should be plenty of options

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

clearly, but there a big difference between offering your opinion on something and offending others in the process for the sake of it.

your issues with your parents are your own, resentment or whatever. but that doesnt mean you should plant the idea that OP's kids will resent them for trying their best, as im sure your parents did.

everyones just doing their best for their kids.

What was offensive about her post?
    She has a valid opinion about how someone can pretend to believe in something just for convenience, and she expressed it honestly.

Why should Lazygal have to hide her honestly felt beliefs just because someone else might be offended

As for me, I have 3 kids, none of them are baptised, 2 of them are in a local gaelscoil and we never pretended that they were religious to get them in.

I know that some parents have difficulty getting into their preferred school, I think this fear is worse than the actual state of affairs, the vast majority of schools will accept children of any faith, but in a tiny minority, the schools are stuck in the 1960s and openly discriminate. But regardless of this, baptising your kids into a religious institution has long term consequences on their growth and development, and it also perpetuates the system that allows discrimination against atheists and people of other religions.

I have seen the junior infants religious materials, and while some of it is benign, the focus is on worshipping god, thanking god for everything good in their lives, praying to him for protection and strength. When it comes to communion class and first confession, the ideas of sins and the inherent worthlessness of humans takes up a central focus of the year. The kids are taught that they're born bad, and that they sin all the time and there's nothing they can do about it, and that the only reason god loves them is because he's prepared to forgive them for all the terrible things they do all the time...

The idea that 'god' provides for people is inherently wrong, because it takes away from the achievements of people who work hard and accomplish things on their own, and with the help and support of the school and their friends and family.

So make your choice. Do you want to be in the position of reinforcing all this doctrine to your child, telling him or her that it is true during the most formative years of their lives, or do you want to be honest and encourage your children to think clearly and for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

think long term.
    So, an obvious non believer was allowed marry in church because he agreed to go through the the motions?

It's hard to take the piss of out the church when they won't even take themselves seriously...

:D

OP, if you and your other half aren't believers, don't bother with the pantomime. The only reason you're even considering it is because so many non-believers have done before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

TheDoc wrote: »
    haha love the responses.

There is enough worries in modern life, without me having to limit my children to what schools are available due to the state not being able to adequately maintain modern entry requirements, or me having to worry about my daughter feeling weird or different when shes sitting in another room while others are in religion. These are children, not at the ages to comprehend the more complex nuisances of choice and decision. Kids dont want to be different.

But whatever, I take exception to it being called a "stupid" reason, but it's of so little real consequence it's not even worth me bothering going into more detail.

I was one of those children who was opted out of religion from an early age in school. I stayed in the same classroom, just drew or did some other work instead.

To be honest I thought it was great and the other kids seemed to be jealous of my extra drawing time.

As I got older, a friend of mine had a chat with his mam and he opted out too. It was great hanging back in the classroom while all the other kids went to mass to prep for their confirmation and the likes.

It was especially handy in secondary as I'd get a load of homework done during school time.

So definitely don't assume it will automatically have a negative impact on a child, as from my own experience (and I've known quite a few other people to go through the same thing) there was nothing bad about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Where are the 85% who want Catholic schools and Catholic teaching in schools? So far no one has offered the suggestion that a child should be baptised for the care of its soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

TheDoc wrote: »
    My GF brought up a good point also about "kids being kids" in school, and there maybe being an unnecessary bullying/slagging aspect should there be religion classes or things and our daughter is separated for being different.
    I was not baptized and went to a religious school i was never bullied for not being baptized. im not even sure how you would bully someone for not being baptized!

Firstly Congrats op!
    However for this discrimination to not be an issue for your children's children people should oppose it now and not just take the easy way out and get baptized so they can pick and choose a school
    Also your child will thank you when they can opt out of religion in secondary school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

she was roman catholic and they wanted to get married in the Honan in UCC.
    That's the way it is these days, I suppose. Style over substance...

If she hadn't been a graduate of UCC, would she have done a degree to get married there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement