Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology and parenting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

have a 21 month old and he only occasionally gets the phone to show him videos of himself, family.... he also gets to watch barney while having breakfast (keeps him in one place).
    I'm not against technology but he will have the most of his life to have it.... id rather see him play, build things jump about than be zombified looking into a tablet...
    Plus i dont want to be that family in the restaurant with everyone's head stuck in phones/tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

jobless wrote: »
    Plus i dont want to be that family in the restaurant with everyone's head stuck in phones/tablets

How is that different from him watching Barney on the tablet while he has breakfast?

I am not judging you, we are a family who embrace and use a lot of technology, but, I just don't see a huge difference between the two scenario's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If I had had a Kindle when I was a kid, you would have never found me with my nose out of a book (to the extent it was out of a book anyway, also, ASD). My particular Kindle does not have the backlighting problem. I have heard people say, when I mention it, that it's still "technology" and that in that scenario I should have had it taken away and should have been made to read a "real" book. Now, folks, that's just nonsense.

The backlighting argument is legitimate and one I would have made myself. My parents did have a strict "lights out" policy when going to bed, so sitting up with a book or even knitting would have been an infraction, but nobody had any objection to me going to bed with a transistor radio tuned to a classical music station and attached to an earphone or pillow speaker. These days it would be an mp3 player and earbuds with a bunch of Beethoven, Mahler, and Rachmaninoff, and that's technology, too.

When I was at breakfast as a kid, I used to read every word on the cereal boxes. I wasn't allowed a book at the table, but I was going to fix my attention on something, dammit. Also, worth repeating, ASD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

My kids are 9 and 11. The eldest would spend all day on his tablet if he was let. He has in the past spent 8 hours on it when my wife and myself was away and the grandparents were in charge. The younger lad wouldn't and would rather go out and play football. So a total ban would be unreasonable.
    However, i got tired of being woken up early by one of them sneaking in for their tablet which i would have charging in my room. I went through a few parental apps until i found one called screentime. And that was the end of it!
    They get one hour a day at the weekends and none on school days. Some educational apps have been exempted from the time limit so they can fire away on those although if they
    take the piddle i flick a switch on my phone via the remote control app and they get locked out. It has made our lives more straightforward and the kids are spending more time doing other more intelligent stuff. Theres a neighbours kid here who literally spends all day on devices and is a klutz. So the hand/eye thing isn't a given!

Disclaimer:I have nothing to do with screentime other than being a very satisfied customer.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It's funny the different reactions we get when we're out eating. If my 3 all have their heads stuck in books not talking to us or each other, (or the waitress!) they're "great"! "It's great to see them reading isn't it". "They're so good". "They're so quiet".

If they have phones or tablets or anything else not talking to each other it's "It's hard to get them to do anything when they have those yokes, isn't it"!
    shedweller wrote: »
    Theres a neighbours kid here who literally spends all day on devices and is a klutz. So the hand/eye thing isn't a given!

One of my children is a klutz! She has been since she was a baby. She has a weak core, she has a lisp (because her tongue/mouth muscles aren't as strong as they should be.) Of all of them she's probably the one who is the most active, although she doesn't look it!

Even as a new born she seemed heavier, even though she wasn't! and was definitely more "floppy" than the others.

Some people that's just their makeup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ElliesBoxes

Hi all,

Soon to be parent here and I just wanted peoples opinions about something. I have very close friends of mine who are brilliant parents in my view. There is one thing they do though that I am on the fence about a bit. They have ipads for both kids and when they need a moments peace they hand them out and they could be on them for a quite a while. When they are putting them to bed instead of reading a story to them they take the ipad and watch an episode of their favorite cartoon.

Now I am not condemning this or anything I am only trying to see would this be considered the norm nowadays with technology and parenting.

My little girl uses my iPad when I'm cleaning or nursing her baby brother, once it's monitored I don't think there's much harm in it and obviously only for a short period of time.

She uses games that help her learn her letters, numbers and reading.

Advertisement