Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on second hand Trek Madone

Options
  • 15-09-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm new to cycling and looking for an all round bike to train on and race in triathlons. I'm looking for something half decent that I won't be tempted to upgrade within the year and have a budget of around 1500 for the bike

I've been browsing for the last couple of weeks and keep going back to this bike. I haven't viewed it yet but seems very well kept albeit a few years old. I'm 6ft

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/trek-madone-4-5-mavic-ksyrium-slr-s-3t-dura-ace/10919533

I can avail of the BTW but there appears to be better value in second hand bikes v new bike with BTW.

All advice/suggestions appreciated

Nice wan...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In my opinion, if it's in good condition and minded, that's a far better bike in every respect than you will get for similar money second hand.

1700 might be a bit strong price wise for a 2011 bike, but that is a 1300 euro wheelset alone. Should be good choice out there for you in a size 58 if that particular one didn't suit for whatever reason.

Second hand is the way to go though for sure. Bide your time, keep looking, get lucky and it's an opportunity to bag a 5 to 6000 euro dream bike for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Can someone explain me what is the hype about that bike is 2 or 5 years old? Is this so much important that would disqualify 6 years old bike in perfect nick over 1 year old? Personally have in my stable bikes 16 years ild to brand new and never could understand hype about bikes age.

Most important for me is that bike were cared well and how i am feeling on it.

This one is like solid frameset with wheelset staying on top of the rest of bike and groupset and contact points kinda mix n match.
    Only problems what ive got on mine Trek and is well known bad engineering is bb90 going loose and after sime time make bb support to big to fit bearings.
    And this is mine issue what you should check in this bike.
    Otherwise its looks like good to go machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think that bike is very overpriced for what it is. 105 shifters and front derailleur would put me right off it instantly.

Have you looked on https://www.facebook.com/groups/417701214932284/ ??

I think that bike is very overpriced for what it is. 105 shifters and front derailleur would put me right off it instantly.

Well i would stay away from bikes with shiat framesets or whellsets but cmon... Shifters or front derailleur wont change to much. At the end of the day you will change gears same as with dura ace. Not to mention that you can easy upgraded.
    All in all in my opinion only interesting in this bike is wheelset. And this bike looks kinda weird with all different parts everywhere.

This is a much better Ultegra spec 2016 TCR with carbon wheelset for £1350stg which is roughly €1600.

It's on the FB cyclist buy and sell page. Well worth a trip to Omagh (2.5hrs from Dublin)

• Advertisement

sin_26 wrote: »
    Well i would stay away from bikes with shiat framesets or whellsets but cmon... Shifters or front derailleur wont change to much. At the end of the day you will change gears same as with dura ace. Not to mention that you can easy upgraded.

But that's the thing, buying a 5 year old bike for €1700 and having to upgrade parts isn't ideal.

I had 5700 105 in my bike for nearly 3 years, I hated it and couldn't wait to upgrade it. It got yo the stage where I preferred taking out my winter hike with 4600 Tiagra as it's much nicer to use than 5700. Personal opinion, I know but I think it's a terrible groupset.

Dud link for me, what's it to?

But that's the thing, buying a 5 year old bike for €1700 and having to upgrade parts isn't ideal.

I had 5700 105 in my bike for nearly 3 years, I hated it and couldn't wait to upgrade it. It got yo the stage where I preferred taking out my winter hike with 4600 Tiagra as it's much nicer to use than 5700. Personal opinion, I know but I think it's a terrible groupset.

I agree but trashing bikes because of age despite that they dont need any invest is very popular these days and i cant really understand this. Groupsets dont make you faster basically but its common sense to meeting parts quality with rest of bike.
    And in this bike case Trek 4.5 its entry level carbon frameset so dura ace or SLRs are bad match.
    Im sure that asking price is not last word from seller so its all depends from last price.
    About Giant TCR. First thing is that frameset is quite opposite to that Trek. Very racy and very stiff.

This is a much better Ultegra spec 2016 TCR with carbon wheelset for £1350stg which is roughly €1600.

It's on the FB cyclist buy and sell page. Well worth a trip to Omagh (2.5hrs from Dublin)

More serious bike thats for sure. Price wise Trek is not competitive at all

I sold a 2009 trek madone 6.9 ssl last year without wheels for about 700 quid. That was a 6 grand bike all day long when it was new. Amazing bike, light as a feather and in great condition.

But then I only ever sell nice bikes for reasonable prices :)

Still had no end of knuckle draggers offering me derisory amounts on what was already a very well priced bike but sure that's always the way.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    I sold a 2009 trek madone 6.9 ssl last year without wheels for about 700 quid. That was a 6 grand bike all day long when it was new. Amazing bike, light as a feather and in great condition.

But then I only ever sell nice bikes for reasonable prices :)

Still had no end of knuckle draggers offering me derisory amounts on what was already a very well priced bike but sure that's always the way.

Yup remember. Thinked about it as 6.9 frameset was sublime but my wife said that 6th bike in kitchen means instant divorce :). Price was very good indeed.
    And funny offer makers are just plague in donedeal or adverts unfortunately :).

Dud link for me, what's it to?

Cycling buy and sell Facebook page. It's a secret group so that's probably why you can't see it.

The sellers name is Darnell Moore look him up on Facebook, his profile picture is of him on his bike. Message him for details on the bike if you can't get access to the cycling buy and sell page.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

The new caad 12 looks very nice .Great bike light as a lot of carbon bikes and hold their price when selling .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Thanks to those who posted

Started off well with the first post then went downhill

I'm just itching to pick up a bike, would be hopeful of getting the Trek for 1400/1500. I don't think the owner is on boards ;) Might still go for it

sin_26 wrote: »
    Can someone explain me what is the hype about that bike is 2 or 5 years old? Is this so much important that would disqualify 6 years old bike in perfect nick over 1 year old? Personally have in my stable bikes 16 years ild to brand new and never could understand hype about bikes age.

Most important for me is that bike were cared well and how i am feeling on it.

This one is like solid frameset with wheelset staying on top of the rest of bike and groupset and contact points kinda mix n match.
    Only problems what ive got on mine Trek and is well known bad engineering is bb90 going loose and after sime time make bb support to big to fit bearings.
    And this is mine issue what you should check in this bike.
    Otherwise its looks like good to go machine.

The newer it is, the shinier it is. People like shiny items :D. I agree with you though, obviously more important to be well looked after

Is there anything wrong with mix n match? Seems quite common on a lot of bikes. As long as I can replacement parts it's all good in my book

I'm new to cycling, that's the bike he's actually racing in all his FB pics. guessing that's not for me. cheers though

Nothing wrong with racing a bike. That's what they're made for. And racers tend to look after their bikes.

Crashing now... that's another story entirely. I would have a problem with crashing. Racing? Not so much :)

Nothing wrong with racing a bike. That's what they're made for. And racers tend to look after their bikes.

Crashing now... that's another story entirely. I would have a problem with crashing. Racing? Not so much :)

I could be wrong here so please correct me but what I meant was that it's a proper racing bike and that's not exactly what I'm looking for

I'm with you on the crash/race thingy

Any chance you could give a quick explanation on what type of stiffness I should be aiming for? I don't really understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

w.r.t. depreciation, almost all bikes end up pretty much worthless eventually and they have to get there sooner or later.

I wonder what the availability of pressfit bottom brackets and headsets will be on old bikes in a few years time?

Would anyone spend decent money on a bike with a 9 speed groupset now?

Agree that condition is important. Shifters and drivetrain components eventually wear out. Chainrings in particular are ridiculously expensive. I suppose you can just buy good condition used parts.

The Madone looks nice but obvs anything of that age needs close inspection.
    Whyner wrote: »
    Started off well with the first post then went downhill

Good choice of username :pac:

Whyner wrote: »
    I could be wrong here so please correct me but what I meant was that it's a proper racing bike and that's not exactly what I'm looking for

I'm with you on the crash/race thingy

Any chance you could give a quick explanation on what type of stiffness I should be aiming for? I don't really understand it

Ah right, so your looking for something with more comfortable geometry and less racy.

Stiffness is very hard to define, what one person finds stiff another may find comfortable but in simple terms stiffer bikes generally mean more vibration from rough road surfaces and less flex when sprinting/climbing, it can be partially negated by the use of wider wheels and tyres, latex tubes, carbon seatposts and carbon handlebars.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    The Madone looks nice but obvs anything of that age needs close inspection.

Reckon you guys should organise a group ride to Athlone and check out the bike while you're all there

This is tougher than buying a car, hard going when you've no mates into cycling

Thanks for that. I picked it up last night. Gorgeous bike. Great nick. Carbon clinchers for the posh winter training win :D

Thanks for that. I picked it up last night. Gorgeous bike. Great nick. Carbon clinchers for the posh winter training win :D

There are some serious bargains on that page especially for people from this side of the border given the drop in value of sterling!

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Was tempted by that myself ,hope it serves you well.

Advertisement