Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Foal in the Stable

Options
  • 15-09-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

In my attempts to achieve N+1 I decided I wanted something for off road and winter training, considered a CX bike but fancied something a little more rugged. I can avail if the BTW scheme again January but wanted it now (don't we all!!) Anyway spotted a Cube LTD Race 29er on the MTB buy and sell Facebook page and went along to see it. Had concerns about frame size as its 21" but decided to at least check it out do headed up to Belfast for a look/see. Met the seller in big car park so had plebty of room to test ride it.

First of all the bike is freekin huge! I'm a 1/4" under 6ft with 33" inside leg, shorter body and ape like arms.

Sat up on the bike after adjusting saddle to handlebar height and instantly felt comfortable. Pedalled about the car park for about 10min and it felt so so comfortable. I was able to put my feet/toes on the ground while seated and the top bar was slightly lower than my tackle (maybe 1 or 2inches) when standing over it so decided what the hell, it too good of a bargain to pass up so bought it there and then. A 19" would have suited better but I'd have to pay full price as there are none for sale that I know of. The seller had also fitted a 60mm Truativ AKA stem as he was only 5'10" with considerably shorter legs and arms than I have and so needed to shorten the reach but (even though he wouldn't admit it) I think it was still too big for him and that's why he was selling it.

The brakes were crap on it and the lad selling it told me he had sprayed detergent everywhere to wash it so I figured they were contaminated so didn't let it put me off. It needs a new rear tyre soon but other than that it looked like new. He had a pair of Shimano Saint MTB pedals fitted which he left on it and they're surprisingly grippy, I was going to get SPD's but I might just leave the Saints for now.

Once I got it home I took out the pads and they were covered in oily residue so cleaned them and sanded them down and cleaned the discs and they was an instant ten fold improvement!

It's the 2015 Blackline model. SLX/XT Groupset so very well spec'd for a beginner like me. Im very pleased with it, can't wait to get out for a bit of fun on it now.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the top bar was slightly lower than my tackle (maybe 1 or 2inches) when standing over it

ouch. pray that you never have to put your feet down on a steep uphill where the front of the bike is much higher than the back....

that only hapeens when mountain biking though...

so no worries..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

mossym wrote: »
    ouch. pray that you never have to put your feet down on a steep uphill where the front of the bike is much higher than the back....

that only hapeens when mountain biking though...

so no worries..:)

Nah, it won't get much hard use. Gravel paths and forestry roads will be about as severe as it gets and possibly sand dunes etc if I have to stop on a steep hill then I can put one foot down and lean the bike if need be. I think I'll be ok. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well done.
    Lovely looking bike.
    If that photo reflects your correct saddle height, you'll be fine, loads of stand over height on top tube.
    When you get used to it, you might feel more comfortable with a slightly longer stem.
    Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Well done.
    Lovely looking bike.
    If that photo reflects your correct saddle height, you'll be fine, loads of stand over height on top tube.
    When you get used to it, you might feel more comfortable with a slightly longer stem.
    Have fun.

At that saddle height my leg is near enough straight while the pedal is in 6 o clock position in line with seat tube. I probably could go another 10mm in height but then I can barely touch the ground so I think I'll mark the seat post and keep that as my riding height.

I have the original 100mm stem too so I might try it at some stage but the steering is very nice and precise with the shorter stem for now.

Advertisement