Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Distros in VM

Options
  • 15-09-2016 12:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hear all this craic about Manjaro so I'm going to give a try. I doubt I'll use it as an alternative to Fedora at the moment. Anyone test alternative distros in VM and which ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Too many to list - but at the moment I am testing Solaris Unix, Alpine Linux and Manjaro (with a very nice tiling window manager)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The version I grabbed came with XFCE and it looks nice. My last distro to test with FreeBSD. Not a big fan, but I would be inclined to use it again.

you could try Bunsen Labs, the successor to CrunchBang, very light and fast - I am using it as a dual boot with Mint 17.3 xfce at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah its a great way of testing out other distros. My main laptop runs Arch and I have Manjaro, Sparky and KaOS set up in Virtualbox, along with a Windows XP VM. Manjaro is pretty cool. Very polished and reliable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

This is why I feel VM software like Boxes and Virtualbox is the best thing since sliced bread. Try before you buy.

• Advertisement

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    ..... Try before you buy.

Or make a donation to the distro if you keep it ;)

Well yes, that's a given. I'd support Distros with smaller communities or more recently developed Distros.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah its a great way of testing out other distros. My main laptop runs Arch and I have Manjaro, Sparky and KaOS set up in Virtualbox, along with a Windows XP VM. Manjaro is pretty cool. Very polished and reliable.

I have a UBB stick which runs multisystem . Mostly I just drag ,n, drop an iso into it and can boot it from there. I have various backup and rescue distros on it and also use it to test live distros. Multisystem package can be downloaded and used on an ubuntu based distro, which sets up the stick as bootable with a multiboot option including whatever distros you put on it.

It means I dont have to worry about the testing limitations that come with virtualbox.

Edit: The main distro I use from the stick is qt4-fsarchiver whose main claim to fame is the ability to compress an backup partitions (and reinstall them afterwards if necessary after a borking incident) . Unlike clonezilla, it only copies the used data and not the empty space so the end partition can be smaller than the original.
    I have even used this to migrate partitions from 1 HDD to another with the help of blkid and fstab

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Worztron

A great distro to try in VirtualBox is Q4OS (based on Debian stable).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement