Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster League 2016/17

• 15-09-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Division 1 will kick off on 1st October 2016. Full details are announced here. The League Controller will be emailing all last years team captains directly.

Division 2 is scheduled to start on 23rd Oct 2016. Based on last years results the teams involved are Tralee, Charleville, Limerick B and Dungarvan. Clubs interested in submitting new Division 2 teams are asked to contact the League Controller or Secretary as soon as possible.

Seems like there is also an EGM before round 1 of the Munster League Division 1.

Check out the Munsterchessunion.org website for more information!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tralee Chess Player

I think one of the Ennis teams is dropping this season so Tralee will be remaining Div 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Rds 1 + 2 - 01-Oct-16 Charleville Park Hotel
    Rds 3 + 4 - 23-Oct-16 Charleville Park Hotel
    Rds 5 + 6 - 13-Nov-16 Charleville Park Hotel
    Rds 7 - 03-Dec-16 Charleville Park Hotel

I can only assume they're cheap?

Seems there is no consideration for Tralee or Dungarvan with regard to travling

I think one of the Ennis teams is dropping this season so Tralee will be remaining Div 1

Perhaps they should have a playoff with Charleville who only narrowly lost out on promotion? ;)

Ah.... No!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Perhaps they should have a playoff with Charleville who only narrowly lost out on promotion? ;)

Well with John Alfred and Gabriel Mirza (last year's team captain) banned from the MCU, Adare mightn't be fielding a team this year, so who knows! maybe Charleville will be promoted!
    Seems there is no consideration for Tralee or Dungarvan with regard to travling

Where would you hold the rounds that would suit everyone?

Considering there were incidences last year that required an arbiter, having 2 separate locations and then not having an arbiter present clearly can cause issues. So you'd have to have a single venue.

The venue after December isn't confirmed yet (probably due to the EGM and unknown levels of participation), if a suitable suggestion is provided, I can't see why it wouldn't be considered.

Quickly using google maps the only better location would be Mallow (for everyone except Ennis). I'm going to guess that issues arose with availability, price and space for Mallow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The Leinster leagues are in lots of different venues, none of which have arbiters. Is it really necessary to have all matches in one venue?

(Obviously I know nothing about the Munster leagues!)

cdeb wrote: »
    The Leinster leagues are in lots of different venues, none of which have arbiters. Is it really necessary to have all matches in one venue?

(Obviously I know nothing about the Munster leagues!)

I believe Team Captains used to be able to act like an arbiter, however with new FIDE rules, this isn't permitted (and I think the arbiter needs to be at the venue for a certain number of rounds for it to be valid (but not all of them)).

It used to be organised at different venues and different times for the games however historically teams were always late submitting results, organising games or even getting venues. So a round up day was slowly introduced (people can be present for the prize giving then). I think initially it was a default time and location for the game if none was arranged by the team captains. For instance Tralee to Dungarvan is a 2.5 hour drive. Finishing work at 5 means the game would start ~8 (at best). A 4 hour game would delay an entire team (if they shared a car) and you'd be lucky to be home by 2.30am if not 3am after dropping people home. So some games could only be arranged on a weekend anyway (not to mention different days for club meetings. This slowly meant the default time and location of the match became the actual time and location.

I'm not certain but I don't see why a team, with agreement from the other team, arbiter and controller, can't play at a different time and venue that suits them. So that option is still there!

Anyway to answer your question about being in one venue - No it can be in different venues. Though that's more expensive (booking 2 places instead of 1) but it has the benefit of being more convenient for some.

Personally, I believe having everyone in the one tournament hall has more positive reasons than negative ones (the main negative being about driving slightly further). You could have signs up about where Team A and B are playing, arrange carbon copy scoresheets (so games can be put online), boards and clocks already there, you can just be more professional with the tournament.

How do the Armstrong and Heidenfeld sort not having an arbiter present? (Apart from the final round of course)

There's games in the Leinster leagues that are that far apart - Enniscorthy v Cavan being the most extreme example I think, but any north Dublin team travelling to Enniscorthy would take 2 hours anyway. So they just play on Saturday, and otherwise games are on club nights. In either case, the game is in the home club's venue. Is that not an option with Munster? It does seem slightly unfair on non Cork teams having all rounds in the same, Cork, venue.

I don't think the Leinster leagues system is a solution either. Most teams are just too far apart. Long trips would be the rule rather than the exception. An away match for a team like Tralee in Ennis, or vice versa, isn't going to be any more palatable than just meeting in Charleville with everyone else

Maybe we just need to play over ICC like the US Chess League :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Debornie

Leinster Chess Leagues have an arbiter available by phone if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Debornie wrote: »

In my opinion that is insufficient to justify the games being rated by FIDE.

I doubt if the designated arbiter is available for every minute of every match, and anyway the most serious issues should have an arbiter present in person, in order to have them settled properly.

Debornie wrote: »

But phone's can't be used until the game is over? I can hardly pause the clock and ring the arbiter saying my opponent broke a rule!

I'm sure you can if it's agreed by both captains.

Have never seen it done though, and as a controller, I've never been rung during a game. What happens if the controller is playing a league match at the same time?

Is not the agreement that both captains are de facto controllers for any given match? Or are they deemed to be not qualified?

cdeb wrote: »
    I'm sure you can if it's agreed by both captains.

Have never seen it done though, and as a controller, I've never been rung during a game. What happens if the controller is playing a league match at the same time?

Is not the agreement that both captains are de facto controllers for any given match? Or are they deemed to be not qualified?

An arbiter is not permitted to participate in the tournament he or she are arbiting. An arbiter needs to be registered with FIDE (so have an arbiter title).

The event wouldn't be FIDE rated if the arbiter played or the arbiter was unlicensed.

If it was ICU rated only, then having captains as de facto arbiters may be permitted (not sure on that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've little doubt we're breaking the letter of some FIDE rules on this. I think the league format is kind of strange for them - there were problems getting it rated at all, which is why it's gone to round-by-round rating.

Most disputes in league games are solved by the captains, with appeals to the division controller the next mechanism. It's rarely a problem.

Advertisement