Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPad model ??

Options
  • 15-09-2016 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I'm in market fior a new iPad but before I go off and buy an iPad Air 2 does anyone know if a new model is in the pipeline?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes, next month sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Is it an update on the iPad Air 2 that is expected next month or an update to the Pro version, or both? Had read something suggesting 2017 for new Pro model.

I'm in the market for an iPad and am trying to decide on size, likely leaning towards Pro but would hold off if there's an updated version imminent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah actually I may be mistaken about new iPads next month. Mark Gurman is saying next year. And there was a price cut at the last keynote which suggests it will be a while.

The Air may not be updated as it's been basically replaced by the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I missed the announcement and only see it for the first time today, but with the iPad pro getting a 10inch version last March you could almost say that there IS a new version of the iPad air which is the 10inch pro.

you'd expect that apple will keep the pro and air separate like they do with the mac book pro and air in order to have one high end product for businesses who are prepared to pay a premium, and then have something for the home market at a more reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Unlikely given that they has just reconfigured the storage sizes of the current range. If there was a new one on the way, it would have made more sense to wait until launch.

Although you never know what they might sneak out if they launch new MacBooks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I've read in a few reports that it will be released next March. I'm the same as you-I want to upgrade but I will definitely wait.
    Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm in market fior a new iPad but before I go off and buy an iPad Air 2 does anyone know if a new model is in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

tallpaul wrote: »
    Unlikely given that they has just reconfigured the storage sizes of the current range....

Yeah - as above - we were looking and all the shops seem only to have the older slock lower memory versions.

eg. Right now, you get 32Gb IPad from Apple for same price as shop bought 16Gb IPad.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The 9.7 iPad Pro is basically the Air 3. Same enclosure with better display, faster storage, faster CPU, better camera, and support for Apple pencil (I might be forgetting other improvements).

I doubt we will ever see an Air 3 - more a Pro 2 in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bob24 wrote: »
    The 9.7 iPad Pro is basically the Air 3. Same enclosure with better display, faster storage, faster CPU, better camera, and support for Apple pencil (I might be forgetting other improvements).

I disagree it's an air3. The price point for a start differentiates it from the air.

I hope(but doubt) Apple continue with the Air line. I've had an IPad since it's original launch and love them, use them daily, but there is zero chance of me paying the sort of money the Pros go for.

I'm still happily using my Air1 and will get an Air 2 after it starts to become troublesome but after that I won't buy anymore iPads and will have to look elsewhere. The Pro price point will be a ridiculous entry level into the tablet market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

adox wrote: »
    I disagree it's an air3. The price point for a start differentiates it from the air.

I hope(but doubt) Apple continue with the Air line. I've had an IPad since it's original launch and love them, use them daily, but there is zero chance of me paying the sort of money the Pros go for.

I'm still happily using my Air1 and will get an Air 2 after it starts to become troublesome but after that I won't buy anymore iPads and will have to look elsewhere. The Pro price point will be a ridiculous entry level into the tablet market.

I saw that the independent tech journalist has replaced his Mac book air and pro with an iPad pro 13 inch. Presumably he's using the smart keyboard. If it's realistic for the iPad pro to be a replacement for these devices then the price point starts to make more sense.

Obviously not a replacement for many users but those who use their Macs for internet, mail, ms office applications.

• Advertisement

In my opinion Apple wanted to increase the entry point for the iPad for some time and the Pro was their excuse to do so (they have done the same with the iPhone - the cheapest latest generation iPhone used to be 599 for many years and it is now 779).

Their offering for you might be that when the Pro 2 is released, they will sell you the Pro 1 for a price similar to what you are used to paying. Not ideal and I would agree the Pro pricing is is too high, but this seems to be their new marketing policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In my opinion Apple wanted to increase the entry point for the iPad for some time and the Pro was their excuse to do so (they have done the same with the iPhone - the cheapest latest generation iPhone used to be 599 for many years and it is now 779).

Their offering for you might be that when the Pro 2 is released, they will sell you the Pro 1 for a price similar to what you are used to paying. Not ideal and I would agree the Pro pricing is is too high, but this seems to be their new marketing policy.

€849 for 32Gb + 4g 9.7". Crazy money, I wouldn't be replacing mine at that price anyway. Way overpriced as it is.

The iPad price increase was inevitable. Despite the fact that most of the early iPads were underpowered, people were replacing them less often than their iPhones. As a market the iPad's future depended on Apple making it into a real laptop competitor. Which is difficult if not impossible as long the iPad is basically last-gen iPhone components with a larger screen for 200 less than the latest iPhone.

The iPad has been criticised for being a big iPhone but that's all most of the early adopters/users seemed to want from it. As long as there's a last-gen iPad Pro available for around the 500 price point that market will be satisfied. They won't care that it's a last-gen model. A last-gen Pro will be equivalent to what a new Air would have been anyway.

Do we honestly think a last gen Pro will be available for €500? I would seriously doubt it.

Do we honestly think a last gen Pro will be available for €500? I would seriously doubt it.

I should have said US prices, where the Pro is currently $600, which is only a 100 more.

Our prices are messed up. If the original iPad was launched today it would cost €600, not €500. The Euro has fallen a lot since 2010. Apple was actually selling the iPad for slightly less in the EU for quite a while in order to keep the price around €500, but they've since stopped.

Nope. What I expect is that the previous generation Pro will likely drop to around 500 when a Pro 2 is released (and the Air family will disappear).

Nope. What I expect is that the previous generation Pro will likely drop to around 500 when a Pro 2 is released (and the Air family will disappear).

Sorry that's what I meant. I mean it retails for €700 at the moment. I just don't see a €200 drop when a new model is released.

I should have said US prices, where the Pro is currently $600, which is only a 100 more.

Our prices are messed up. If the original iPad was launched today it would cost €600, not €500. The Euro has fallen a lot since 2010. Apple was actually selling the iPad for slightly less in the EU for quite a while in order to keep the price around €500, but they've since stopped.

Yeah but we have the Air 2 retailing at a little over €400.

I'd expect the pro to drop to a little over €600 when the pro2 comes out and it's still too much money for me for a tablet.

I've no use for the pen or attached keyboards and amnt looking to replace a laptop.

Sorry that's what I meant. I mean it retails for €700 at the moment. I just don't see a €200 drop when a new model is released.

You have a point. But on the other hand the Air 2 will have to go at some point and Apple will need a new entry level 9.7ish iPad. I don't really see them releasing a specifically designed entry-level device (it was OK to do it with the iPhone 5c as iPhone sales are stratospheric, but mid-size iPads is a fairly smaller market).

Advertisement