Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromebook thoughts?

Options
  • 15-09-2016 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Am looking for something light zippy & cheap that lies somewhere between a Laptop & a Tablet for basic Internet & E-Mail access that has a larger screen than a phone screen.

I am leaning towards a Chromebook (This one in particular).

My logic is that a phone screen is too small (getting old now).

A tablet requires the use of an on-screen keyboard or the addition of a separate USB or Bluetooth keyboard (just more clutter to carry around).

Don't require the use of MS Office & can always use Google Docs if ever required.

Also like the idea that the above Chromebook (and many more too) will be fully compatible with Android Apps by the end of this year or early in 2017.

Basically looking for Chromebbok users opinions on them in general, are they ok to use for a Windows hardened user? Would you think they might be worth a punt for that kind of money?

There's a bit of a review on it below:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I'm with you on this one.

However I'd imagine that to make the most of Android apps, it would be best with 4GB RAM and a touchscreen.

Personally I'm holding off for a few months - there will hopefully be new chromebooks launched specifically to maximise the Play Store aspect.

Acer has already announced the Chromebook R13 due next month and there's also Google's new Chromebook Pixel (Oct 4).

Hopefully they'll be a plethora more after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

biebiebie wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one.

However I'd imagine that to make the most of Android apps, it would be best with 4GB RAM and a touchscreen.

Personally I'm holding off for a few months - there will hopefully be new chromebooks launched specifically to maximise the Play Store aspect.

Acer has already announced the Chromebook R13 due next month and there's also Google's new Chromebook Pixel (Oct 4).

Hopefully they'll be a plethora more after that.

Yep. Lenovo have a N22 Touch with 4GB RAM due here\UK shortly (already out in the US) LINK:

They're fookers really though, the touch has the 4GB RAM but they've halved the size of the HDD from 32GB to 16GB.

No more than Laptops, It's swings and roundabouts isn't it :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Not a bad looking machine that Lenovo.

Although I'd be looking for a 13" myself, think that's a sweet spot (for me). Just about large enough to be usable for typing on yet small enough to be still portable (think macbook air).

Anyhow I'd imagine we'll see some clever looking alternatives in the coming months.

Advertisement