Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4K Upscaling Problem

• 15-09-2016 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Panasonic TX-58DX700B. I connected my BDP-103D to the new TV via the HDMI1 slot.

I've encountered a strange problem. When I initially tried to turn on the 4k upscaling on the Oppo I received the following message: "the connected HDMI device does not support 4Kx2K input signal." However, when I tried later I had no issues turning the upscaling on. By placing the i button on the TV remote it seemed the upscaling process was working fine. While watching a 1080p Blu-ray last night I pressed the i button again; to my surprise I noticed the output was 1080p/24Hz. When I tried to turn on the upscaling feature again I got the same "does not support" message as before.

Now I'll admit I am completely clueless when it comes to such issues, but I am eager to know what is happening here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sounds like it could be a dodgy HDMI handshaking problem.

the player reads a chip in the tv called the EDID that tells it what the tv can support. depending what order they are switched on in, the edid may not be read correctly and the player will default back to minimum settings .

the image is being upscaled anyway, if your player is sending 1080p the tv will upscale. the h103 probably has better scaling though so would be better if you got it working consistently. try turning on the tv, then the oppo, and see if it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

mossym wrote: »
    sounds like it could be a dodgy HDMI handshaking problem.

the player reads a chip in the tv called the EDID that tells it what the tv can support. depending what order they are switched on in, the edid may not be read correctly and the player will default back to minimum settings .

the image is being upscaled anyway, if your player is sending 1080p the tv will upscale. the h103 probably has better scaling though so would be better if you got it working consistently. try turning on the tv, then the oppo, and see if it works

Much appreciated! It seems to have sorted itself out.

I recently ordered an X Box One S which I plan to use for watching 4K discs. Do you know if there is any way for me to run it through my Onkyo 616 without diminishing the picture quality? Forgive the additional question! Thanks very much for helping the clueless.

you can't run the hdmi through the 616 or you won't get 4k video. your only option is to run the xbox to the tv, and take optical or ARC from the tv back out to the amp .you're not going to get HD audio formats though

if you want 4k and hd audio you'll either need a new amp, or a switch that extracts the audio from the video so you can pass them to the tv/avr seperatley

you can't run the hdmi through the 616 or you won't get 4k video. your only option is to run the xbox to the tv, and take optical or ARC from the tv back out to the amp .you're not going to get HD audio formats though

if you want 4k and hd audio you'll either need a new amp, or a switch that extracts the audio from the video so you can pass them to the tv/avr seperatley

Cheers again! Yes, I feared that would be the case. Would it be better to use ARC or optical?

in theory it doesn't matter as ARC only carries the same signals as the spdif connection, but personally i'd go wth ARC, if for no other reason than it will be one less cable

• Advertisement

in theory it doesn't matter as ARC only carries the same signals as the spdif connection, but personally i'd go wth ARC, if for no other reason than it will be one less cable

Excellent work! The feedback will serve me well.

Advertisement