Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed in rented apartment.

Options
  • 15-09-2016 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭

On my rental agreement, the landlord is supposed to call at a certain time weekly.
    He doesn't stick to this whatsoever and calls when ever he feels like it. I work from home so I can't be available to answer if he calls. It's at the stage where I might be asked the day before for the money when I haven't been to the bank or I might be on a call unable to answer the door. I don't know how to deal with this and I told them due to work that I can't answer them at any given time but they keep calling with no prior notice. I've even been asleep after working nights and they would call waking me up first thing in the morning.
    They also are having extensive building work done to the house and the noise has been constant for two months now or more. I'm still paying full rent while this takes place.
    The builders leave the door open onto the street and two of my postal packages have gone missing this week alone. When I close the front door, I can hear them complaining and they just open it again.
    I don't know what else to do now as I already told them to come at the same time or give me notice. I can't argue with a bunch of men either about having a door open but anyone can walk in off the street and it's no loss to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just tell the landlord that either he turns up at the agreed time only, or you must pay by standing order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Thanks for the reply. I will try saying it to him again. I hope I'm not being awkward but I've not come across this kind of thing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

How annoying. You have a life, you can't be waiting around for him to turn up. Tell him you want to set him up on Banking 365 (or whatever bank you are with) and u can transfer money over to his account at a certain date every month. I do that. It's handy. Best of luck ;) let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

He doesn't stick to this whatsoever and calls when ever he feels like it..

..they keep calling with no prior notice..

This is an infringement on your tenant rights for a start.
    Also collecting cash in this day and age? He might have a good reason for doing it, but I can only think of one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thanks for the reply. I will try saying it to him again. I hope I'm not being awkward but I've not come across this kind of thing before.

I had a landlord like that. He didnt want to pay tax on the rent so he would call round to pick it up. That would be no skin off my nose, but he also wanted to do an inspection to make sure we were keeping the place well, and he would text us at 4.30pm saying he'd be in the area around 6pm and could he call in. :rolleyes:

After about 6 months we found a place nearby. The land lady lived in Sir John Rogersons Quay which was far enough away from us that she couldnt be calling in every 4 weeks wanting to do inspections, the place was bigger, 5 minutes walk to the city centre and only 80 quid a month more. He was perplexed as to why we would want to move to somewhere so close. We just said it was so much bigger for the same money.

tl;dr, It suits him to get the rent in hand, its less convenient for you. If that arrangement is going to work, he has to come at a pre-arranged time, be on time and then sod off. If he can't stick to that, then tell him its not working for you and you'll just lodge the money to his account. He had his chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

This is an infringement on your tenant rights for a start.
    Also collecting cash in this day and age? He might have a good reason for doing it, but I can only think of one..

I was thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I did think it was breaking the tenancy agreement. He called today but I couldn't answer the door and he was gone by the time I went out. I still don't think he understands how awkward it is and I have been asking them to give me prior notice. I'm exhausted from listening to building noises as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tell him to put a locked post box somewhere in the property and agree that you will place your rent there each week. He can then come and collect whenever he wants. If he's having extensive building work done this will hardly be a hardship for him. This is not a novel idea of mine, it's exactly how a landlord I had in 1990/91 (yes that long ago) used to operate.

Advertisement