Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embedding gifv, mp4, and webm

Options
  • 15-09-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So, an old fashioned gif I can embed like this:
    giphy.gif

And youtube we can kind of embed like this (though it's stuck in a frame, doesn't load overly well, and has to be manually told to play):

But when it comes to more modern replacements for gifs like the gifv format imgur uses, or the webm gify uses (like this - the same file would be ten times larger if it was a traditional gif) there doesn't seem to be any way to embed that I can see.

Is there any way to do so, and if not, is it possible we could get that functionality? It don't imagine it should be too complicated. It would be super useful for the gaming forums where people like share short clips from games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Help Desk as this forum is for site Feedback only.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hmm

AchingWhimsicalBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

When I opened your link I could see an option for GIF down the bottom which provided me with the full URL that we needed to end in gif
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AchingWhimsicalBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

I have seen some that end in gifv for direct links and found that they'd work here when you just drop the V and embed in the IMG terminators.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They're not supported, and have been requested for years. Given that the tech staff abandoned the site dev forum, and thus feature requests years ago, there's little hope of them being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Taltos wrote: »
    Hmm

AchingWhimsicalBubblefish-size_restricted.gif
    Taltos wrote: »
    When I opened your link I could see an option for GIF down the bottom which provided me with the full URL that we needed to end in gif
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AchingWhimsicalBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

I have seen some that end in gifv for direct links and found that they'd work here when you just drop the V and embed in the IMG terminators.

Uh, yes but that's a horrible, low quality, low framerate version, compared to the original high def, 60fps webm.
    Spear wrote: »
    They're not supported, and have been requested for years. Given that the tech staff abandoned the site dev forum, and thus feature requests years ago, there's little hope of them being added.

That's a shame.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement